Thread: Metz 60ct4 Users...pls help me

Default Metz 60ct4 Users...pls help me

Finally dig out my 60ct4 again, but flash cannot fire.

Put the battery pack on charge, the red LED lighted forever - battery measured at 4.8V - should have died liao.

Connect the Battery Pack to the Flash, all indicators lighted up properly but no charging sound, and the green LED never lights up.

1. Must the battery be proper, then the flash can be charged and fire?
    2. Can I still charge & fire the flash without the battery in th charger?
    3. Anyone measure the power to the flash? I got about 3.5V and 28V across the 3 terminals.

Really need your help to verify 1st on which part is having problem b4 I go and hunt for replacement parts.

Million Million thanks.
    Cheers!

Default Re: Metz 60ct4 Users...pls help me

'Forever' is how long?

I not Metz expert ah, but see if I can help.

Put the battery pack on charge, the red LED lighted forever - battery measured at 4.8V - should have died liao.

If you've been charing for more than 4 hours, and both LEDs on the batt pack is still lit, that means your batt is still not full, or current is not flowing properly.

Several possible causes...

1) Flat or dead batt

2) Dirty contact points (either on or both the batt and the holder)

3) Faulty electronics in the holder (where most of the electronics are contained)

When was the last time you charged up the batt fully, and fired the flash?

Connect the Battery Pack to the Flash, all indicators lighted up properly but no charging sound, and the green LED never lights up.

When you switch the batt pack on, what lights up, exactly? Or everything everywhere lights up ("all indicators")?

No charging sound could be the flash capacitor is not charging. There current flowing somewhere (for all indicators to light up), but no sound usually not a good sign.

1. Must the battery be proper, then the flash can be charged and fire? - A bit of charge usually can charge up the flash head liao

2. Can I still charge & fire the flash without the battery in th charger? - NO! I hope you didn't try powering up and firing the head without a batt in the holder, and the holder plugged directly into a wall socket (attempting to power directly from the mains). Some users tried that and fried their systems. Edit to add: Even if there was a batt in the holder, you cannot leave the holder plugged into the wall mains to either try to continue charging or to use the mains to power up the flash, and try to operate the flash at the same time. All the extra sockets on the batt holder are for ease of use, not to plug everything in all at once and use the flash.

If you did, you're not alone. Many 60 ct owners thought of powering up directly at some point in time. Some even toyed with the idea of using two flash heads and one batt pack (since there are two outlets on one pack). The electronics wer not designed to be used that way.

If die die you didn't fry the circuits (plugged in directly into wall socket and try to charge up the flash), and can't figure out what's happening, you can bring your entire set over to my place if you like and we can test each component one by one (with my working set) to try and identify where the problem lies). I'm battling a bad flu if not I can go and meet you. Please PM me if you want to arrange.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 12th March 2008 at 09:11 AM.

Deregistered

i think ur batt konk liao. if battery in good condition and not depleted, the red light should blink. if after 12hrs you charged still cannot turn green.......... welcome(most owner have this problems), the batt is dead.

sorry but my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    i think ur batt konk liao. if battery in good condition and not depleted, the red light should blink. if after 12hrs you charged still cannot turn green.......... welcome(most owner have this problems), the batt is dead.

sorry but my 2 cents worth.
    Short n Sweet...

But if TS fried his circuits, or they went konk (instead of just the batt), then go buy a new batt that's very ex also no use mah.

cheeseme, if u are staying near Woodlands can drop by my house and test your flash with my working 60CT4.
    Rolleiflex 3003 - SL66 - Sony Alpha 7R1/2 - ZF - Batis - ZM - Otus - HFT - T* My website

Really appreciate your response and your assistance offering. Thank U all very very much!

Just some background, this 60CT4 has been with me since 1992. Include 2 dryfit, 1 died few years back - disposed liao, and the other till today. Remember last tested is about a year or 2 back. It was fully charged before storing it unconnected. Anyway, I dun expect it to live that long. Most dryfit lifespan max is about 10years?

The problem now is not sure are the flash and charger still working, else buying a new battery, which I understand now is so hard to get or so damn ex.

So, wish to check can I power up the flash by => Power adapter -> Charger(no battery) -> Flash?

Observation:
    1. With or without the battery in the charger, once power on, both the GREEN and RED LED indicators will light up. Understood the RED LED will go blinking after about 80% charged then disappeared. But after charging it for over night (at least 6-7 hours), the voltage of the battery remains at 4.8V. Strange thing is why it can hold that 4.8V?

2. With battery in the charger, connect the flash and slide the ON switch, the ON RED LED indicator will light up. Also, all those meter's light on the flash also lights up except no charging sound, and the Green LED on the flash remain off, even left connected and ON for awhile. To test this, of course the adapter will have to be plug in and ON, else totally no light, as the battery CMI liao.

I remember, or maybe forget liao, I could on the flash directly from adapter via the charger unit without the battery.

Very tempting to open things up and check, of course the flash will have to be super careful, but dun worry, dealing with HT voltage is my job. Then, perhaps can do some mod here and there, and would solve the problem of expensive battery. But the problem is that I have never measured the charger's output when it was ok.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post
    So, wish to check can I power up the flash by => Power adapter -> Charger(no battery) -> Flash?
    Err...dunno leh. But it sound dangerous. Anyways, you have the offer from two members to test your components to identify which is the konk one.

Also, I read somewhere that it was possible to revive a dead dryfit, but the explanation was macam like some electrical engineer wrote it (too technical 4 me to understand). Do a search and see if that helps you.

CHEERS!

OK, have checked my dry fit.

Mine is not the Metz original, but should be the original OEM for Metz. On the battery it stated battery normial float voltage is 6.9V.

Mine voltage at present is 6.2V.

Yours at 4.8V seems still OK, but most likely not high enough to make the flash works properly.
    Rolleiflex 3003 - SL66 - Sony Alpha 7R1/2 - ZF - Batis - ZM - Otus - HFT - T* My website

However I really have to thank for the thoughts of let me use your 60CT4 to test mine. Technically speaking is not too wise doing that. As we are not sure which part of it is faulty. By using yours as test bed, my faulty part can fail yours too. So, better not.

Anyway, cannot take it. I have dismantled the charger as shown.

Looking at it, it could mean the 'Energy Storage Capacitor' is actually kept in the Charger. That would also mean if we will to measure the output 3 pins 'thick' cable connecting to the Flash, we should see at least 300VDC!!! So, for those who don't have a HT Multimeter, pls don't do it!

1st guess: As I only got about 5.18VDC at the charging terminals to the battery, and only 28VDC present across output terminal which is actually connected to the Capacitor, I would suspect the problem is within the Charger.

Will open up the PCB and see I could trace out the circuitry for study and also check the components. It look just like a switching power supply. Anyway, will be extremely careful in handling it. >300VDC ...dun play play.

Cheers!
    Last edited by cheeseme; 12th March 2008 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post
    However I really have to thank for the thoughts of let me use your 60CT4 to test mine. Technically speaking is not too wise doing that. As we are not sure which part of it is faulty. By using yours as test bed, my faulty part can fail yours too. So, better not.

Anyway, cannot take it. I have dismantled the charger as shown.

Looking at it, it could mean the 'Energy Storage Capacitor' is actually kept in the Charger. That would also mean if we will to measure the output 3 pins 'thick' cable connecting to the Flash, we should see at least 300VDC!!! So, for those who don't have a HT Multimeter, pls don't do it!

1st guess: As I only got about 5.18VDC at the charging terminals to the battery, and only 28VDC present across output terminal which is actually connected to the Capacitor, I would suspect the problem is within the Charger.

Will open up the PCB and see I could trace out the circuitry for study and also check the components. It look just like a switching power supply. Anyway, will be extremely careful in handling it. >300VDC ...dun play play.

Cheers!
    Hehehe...I suspected you were so quiet because you were dismantling it.

Is that the main capacitor - that white tower?

Yes. So far that's my guess. But exactly how much it will charge up to, only can measure from a good set. Unless, my charger is totally ok. Will need sometimes to think about it. The PCB do require some desoldering of wires to take out.

Cheers!

If it helps, e-bay sometimes you can find old/non-operational/??? sets at dirt cheap. Mabbie you can look into those for spare parts?

OOPS! Dbl post.