Thread: Cost of fixing zoom creep

Default Cost of fixing zoom creep

Has anyone sent their creeping lenses for servicing before? What are the estimated costs? Does the problem return soon after?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Cost of fixing zoom creep

nobody tried fixing this problem before?

Basically, unless the lens has a locking mechanism built in, it will just creep again. No need waste money. If zoom creep affects you negatively, get a better constructed lens or one with a locking mechanism

I see... Is there any simple way to tighten it? It doesn't hamper my shots; it just irritates me, if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by stonecow View Post
    I see... Is there any simple way to tighten it? It doesn't hamper my shots; it just irritates me, if you know what I mean
    Nope... your attempt may risk the lens allignment if you are not skillful enuf..

Well, there are always 101 ways to skin a cat...

If it's a one-touch, replacing the felt pad inside helps for awhile, but it will get loose again. Placing very thin layers on very high quality tape (won't degrade into a sticky mess after awhile) along strategic points of the barrel may induce more friction when you zoom over that part.

If it's a two-touch, you can simply use a piece of gaffer tape as a zoom locking mechanism. The tape won;t be permanent, and if you reduce the inherent stickiness before applying it across the zoom ring, it may act as a friction inducer.

Got lots of other ways to try lah, some very safe, some very strange looking and some not safe. The above methods I share is usually safe and if applied properly, can help the irritation.

CHEERS!

p.s. Anything try at your own risk hor.

Which particular lens? There are a some techniques on how to put a "spacer" to avoid lens creep. You might end up disassembling some parts (that are not necessary) if your not familiar with the lens contruction.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

PM fatigue / David for a quote!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    p.s. Anything try at your own risk hor.
    LOL!!! Wah lau you nearly sabo me I'm in class now and when I read until this line I almost burst out laughing!

Anyway thanks everyone for your inputs. I have zero knowledge on lens construction so I won't try any stunts by disassembling it. I guess I'll try gaffer taping the end of the barrel as what Dream Merchant suggested, or just live with it (urgh).

By the way David, I smsed you yesterday (969xxxxx) regarding my EOS 50E, but I think you're overseasnow right? Hope you can help me out when you get back. Have a good time wherever you are.

LOL!!! Wah lau you nearly sabo me I'm in class now and when I read until this line I almost burst out laughing!
    Why are you surfing in CS when you're supposed to be paying attention in class?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Why are you surfing in CS when you're supposed to be paying attention in class?
    Erm, CS is keeping me awake.

Erm, CS is keeping me awake.
    Hahaha.. .okie..

Have to say mah ... you're talking to a master of taping - I used to keep my camera back and pentaprism in place using nothing but masking tape. Less illustrious mortals may not get 'the way of the tape' and their cameras may crumble.

This ought to keep you awake summor!