Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Signs using incorrect English

  1. #21

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Right here on CS, top right hand corner : You last visited: X hours ago at XX am

    Should it not be: Your last visit was : X hours Ago at XX am
    Right here on CS

    Should it not be - Should be

    Last visited (you - understoodED)

  2. #22

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    Those are typical in the U.S.A. They should probably replace the "allowed" with "please".
    Entrance of KPE always have something like this.. can't remember the exact phrase.. "Please turn on your radio when in the tunnel" or something to that effect. My wife was asking me what's with the tunnel that you need to turn on the radio.

    I told her they were just trying to say that there is radio reception in the tunnel.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    It's correct what.

    You last visited the washroom 2 minutes ago. Same phrasing.

    This is sad though:
    http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?im...ate=2007-12-11

    so it should be kept away from children "made" in China ?


    regarding my quote, I though that when you said
    " you last visited ...... it's usually refering more to a place like in your example,
    " you last visited the toilet ..... "
    and when you want to let people know when was the last time they visit a place/site it should be
    " your last visit was 4 hours ago " and not
    " you last visited 4 hours ago "

    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    Right here on CS

    Should it not be - Should be

    Last visited (you - understoodED)
    Right here on CS : should it be "on CS" or "in CS" ?

    Should it not be - Should be : both sounds OK to me

    Last visited (you - understoodED) : this one have to ask CS, it's at the top right hand corner
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  5. #25
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English


  6. #26
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English


  7. #27
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English


  8. #28
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English


  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    ...

    regarding my quote, I though that when you said
    " you last visited ...... it's usually refering more to a place like in your example,
    " you last visited the toilet ..... "
    and when you want to let people know when was the last time they visit a place/site it should be
    " your last visit was 4 hours ago " and not
    " you last visited 4 hours ago "

    It is not grammatically wrong to say "you last visited 4 hours ago". The construction is the same. The only thing eliminated is the location. It is just different voicing; it's not grammatically wrong at all.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Entrance of KPE always have something like this.. can't remember the exact phrase.. "Please turn on your radio when in the tunnel" or something to that effect. My wife was asking me what's with the tunnel that you need to turn on the radio.

    I told her they were just trying to say that there is radio reception in the tunnel.
    That could be worded much better but I've never seen one of those. It's always "Please turn on lights." before the tunnels here, followed by "Are you lights on?" at the other end.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Geno's? Maybe, it's a different Geno's than the one I know that was at the centre of a controversy. It's a bit sad, but people do expect English to be spoken. Then again, Americans expect English to be spoken in Japan, Europe...anywhere they go.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    That could be worded much better but I've never seen one of those. It's always "Please turn on lights." before the tunnels here, followed by "Are you lights on?" at the other end.



    Geno's? Maybe, it's a different Geno's than the one I know that was at the centre of a controversy. It's a bit sad, but people do expect English to be spoken. Then again, Americans expect English to be spoken in Japan, Europe...anywhere they go.
    i havnet seen any of those signs yet, but if i do, i'll make sure i go in and speak pidgin to them. just for the heck of it. making sure my friend is outside capturing every moment on video. heh heh

    any idea where i can find one of these in NY?
    ((=
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    i havnet seen any of those signs yet, but if i do, i'll make sure i go in and speak pidgin to them. just for the heck of it. making sure my friend is outside capturing every moment on video. heh heh

    any idea where i can find one of these in NY?
    ((=
    Can't say that I've seen any noted in NYC. The take away restaurant in question is Geno's Cheesesteaks in Philadelphia at 9th and Passyunk. It's the best place to go for Cheesesteaks but I guess they got tired of people trying to order in Spanish. (A lot of the U.S.A. is tired of Spanish.)

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Balestier
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English


  14. #34
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English


  15. #35
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Signs using incorrect English

    If you notice those small toy capsule vending machines, not those nice Jap ones. I mean those cheap ones at provision shops. some of the description of toys are very funny.

    I remember seeing something like "customers are at liberties to seat at whichever place regardless of where they order from" or something along the lines of that at more than one hawker centre.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •