Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Strangest encounter today

Default Re: Strangest encounter today

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    I told the guard that i'm just shooting at my gf, but he said because i'm using a DSLR and a lightmeter so i need to purchase a permit or stop shooting.

I just packup my gear and go to fort canning to continue my shot, no point arguing to idiot and spoil my day.
    What if a pro in disguise goes to the museum. Assuming a very capable compact camera is available in the market, he uses the camera and shoots a few shots, then sells them for personal profit.

All I will have to say to the management, and the security guard is "GOTCHA, n00bs!. So much for your narrowminded management". I will, in fact, be kind of happy for the photographer, even though what he did was wrong, so to speak.

Such stereotyping of DSLR = pro must stop. Sadly, no matter how much the photographers speak up, the people upstairs refuse to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by thetarget View Post
    Some of the most commonly hated people.
    Auditors
    Security Guards
    TPs

C'mon, they are just doing their jobs..
    Honestly, most of the security guards are not to blame. The people upstairs are being stereotypical, narrowminded, or simply mindless, and when stereotypical, narrowminded, mindless instructions are passed down to the "jaga" to carry out, they don't really have a choice.

However, when they ask me to delete a photo of their building "just because like that lor" and not because it is a matter of nat'l security or internal affairs (i.e. shooting a photo of US Embassy), when I am standing OUTSIDE the buildling, then they have no right to do that because I am not within their property.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    What if a pro in disguise goes to the museum. Assuming a very capable compact camera is available in the market, he uses the camera and shoots a few shots, then sells them for personal profit.

All I will have to say to the management, and the security guard is "GOTCHA, n00bs!. So much for your narrowminded management". I will, in fact, be kind of happy for the photographer, even though what he did was wrong, so to speak.

Such stereotyping of DSLR = pro must stop. Sadly, no matter how much the photographers speak up, the people upstairs refuse to listen.
    sigma dp1

the day is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Caleb, are you sure you're just a student?

Sometime, you makes statements with the weight of wisdom that comes with living ... a long time. Or a lot of reading and discernment.
    i have the same impression

WRT 5., just last sunday, I was alighting from the train at Redhill MRT, when this father and 5-year-old-looking-son were gonna board at my door. The father clearly had no idea what the lines were for, as he led his son to the center of the bloody doorway while waiting for the train to halt completely and for the doors to open.

Now you know where the bad habits stem from. Look, it bloody doesn't make a difference whether you stand in the center or not. Either way you still have to wait for everyone to alight before you board. Oh yes, it does make some sort of difference - you become a major annoyance to every alighting passenger.
    that probably isn't the worst

i have seen parents literally exploiting their kids - you're supposed to protect them in crowds and the parents literally use the kid as a battering ram. they assume that people will give way to them because they are kids.. doesn't work all the time. works sometimes.. you only stand to lose after all.. and you bet your kid would sooner or later find out how much you actually love him. i am always disgusted when i see such acts - molly-coddling is bad, but this other extremity of self-centredness on the part of the parents is horrifying too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    That's if they actually use some intellect while working. The second one is a good example where this is very lacking.
    actually, i think for any job, everyone could do with a lot more intellect.

be it auditing, security guards, traffic police, accountant, lawyer

there is always going to be a certain proportion of people who seem to have left their brains at home, and this is life

i guess you can't be angry with the babe.
    She must be told by her boss to do this. no choice mah ... Pro or no pro ... boss can big one cannot means cannot lor ...
    Newbie with a D80 Kit

Honestly, most of the security guards are not to blame. The people upstairs are being stereotypical, narrowminded, or simply mindless, and when stereotypical, narrowminded, mindless instructions are passed down to the "jaga" to carry out, they don't really have a choice.

However, when they ask me to delete a photo of their building "just because like that lor" and not because it is a matter of nat'l security or internal affairs (i.e. shooting a photo of US Embassy), when I am standing OUTSIDE the buildling, then they have no right to do that because I am not within their property.
    stereotypes are difficult to eliminate, it takes years, even decades. SLR/DSLR photography is not within mainstream popular culture and still remains in a rather exclusive realm for the working photographer if not hobby for the rich when seen from a layman's perspective.

WOW! And I thought I was cynical! GRINZ!

But seriously, there must be some redeeming grace for humans, no?

Ranting lah...just what a kopitiam is for. Anyhoo..it is just one of my pet peeves. Bad behavours. Redeeming qualities? Yes I see alot.. everytime I watch a National Geographic episode or Discovery Channel..I get positively charged up again and willing to give life and "viruses with shoes" another chance but then if I accidently swtich to channel 8 or step on a MRT or just plain dealing with people in general ( not to say there are no smart ones...they are lots of them but still not enough) ...it just starts all over again heheh thus...you could imagine I watch a lot of cable tv as therapy heheh. It is just such a waste as we are only here for a limited time on this planet and we choose not to make something better of it....just do something abit better each day if not each week for the really lazy. heheh I alway feel doing something with consideration for other will in turn be something good for you too.
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th March 2008 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    stereotypes are difficult to eliminate, it takes years, even decades. SLR/DSLR photography is not within mainstream popular culture and still remains in a rather exclusive realm for the working photographer if not hobby for the rich when seen from a layman's perspective.
    Hi Eikin,

I would agree to your former observation, but I'm not sure how much weight the latter holds. Respectfully, while DSLR users most definitely fall into the minority as compared to the masses with HP and PnS cams, a look around any urban area in SG will reveal many weekend DSLR warriors.

I suspect the sight of a DSLR is not so uncommon as to make it perceivable as a tool of evil, and with the ever increasing sales and usage of big protruding lens prosumers and cheaper and cheaper DSLRs, the usage of physically bigger cameras may become a common sight in the not too distant future. To a certain extent, even the presence of current DSLR users at mass shoots, on group outings, at festivals etc must have made the sight of such devices more common to layman passers-by.

I really wonder what would happen if someone illustrates to the higher-ups, how and why, with examples and samples, the modern PnS cams with their mind-boggling technology, available to the masses at fairly low prices can do a lot more damage than a DSLR. Even if they acknowledge that to be true or possible, I seriously doubt if it would prevent this anti-DSLR mind-set. As Eikin so rightly pointed out, mind-sets take a long time to change.

But I'm also wondering about something else ... is it the machine per se, or the wider-spread use of such cameras, the people that use them and (some of) the things they do (when using DSLRs, tripods, monopods, big reflectors etc etc etc) that has become a contributive part of the problem of the 'anti-DSLR' mind-set, which seems to be so startlingly wide-spread?

Bear in mind, prior to the advent of the digital capture device, you don't see that many photographers with big cameras running all over town day in day out point here point there hoot here hoot there conducting all sorts of land/city-scape or 'modelling' shoots, and that HP and PnS users usually only shoot themselves and/or their companions (mostly, and what is known as cam whoring) and finish their business within 2 or 3 minutes, or less, then move off, where as DSLR users can be at a public place for hours.

Have we become 'a nuisance' (perceived or otherwise) or are the big brains really ostriches?

Let's try to look at this from various sides of the coin.

sighting may become more common, but the number of people owning and using DSLR (or willing to own one) is still not big enough to generate a culture big enough to turn mindsets. you can check with your own extended family and count how many in the family actually own DSLRs. for the lay person, the SLR/DSLR photography enthusiast is more of a geek, just like computer geeks. if you compare the digital photography trend to computer trend, owning the latest point and shoot digicam is like owning the latest Dell computer bought off the shelf. owning a DSLR is like owning a computer with high end specifications built for gamers or professionals (engineers, graphic artists, animators etc.) the latter are not ''mainstream.''

But I'm also wondering about something else ... is it the machine per se, or the wider-spread use of such cameras, the people that use them and (some of) the things they do (when using DSLRs, tripods, monopods, big reflectors etc etc etc) that has become a contributive part of the problem of the 'anti-DSLR' mind-set, which seems to be so startlingly wide-spread?
    not impossible. users themselves may actually be the ones who build the stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by freezemaster View Post
    i guess you can't be angry with the babe.
    She must be told by her boss to do this. no choice mah ... Pro or no pro ... boss can big one cannot means cannot lor ...
    Ah yes, this brings me to my next point of how most Singaporeans, instead of asking the offending worm to call his or her boss and give him/her a piece of his/her mind, simply just shy away and then complain about it later.

Well, if you have the chance to resolve the situation, resolve it lah.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Ah yes, this brings me to my next point of how most Singaporeans, instead of asking the offending worm to call his or her boss and give him/her a piece of his/her mind, simply just shy away and then complain about it later.

Well, if you have the chance to resolve the situation, resolve it lah.
    instead of getting his/her boss to reprimand that ''offending worm,'' knowing that he/she doesn't really know and is probably acting on instructions, why not ask for the boss and educate the boss in the face? you don't have to call someone a worm for his/her insufficient knowledge on the issue, do you?

Execs report to supers who report to managers, and managers report to higher managers, who in turn report to asst HODs, who then report to HOD, which are essentially still middle management - upper, but still middle. Guess where asking to speak to their 'boss' will get you?

Execs report to supers who report to managers, and managers report to higher managers, who in turn report to asst HODs, who then report to HOD, which are essentially still middle management - upper, but still middle. Guess where asking to speak to their 'boss' will get you?
    write to newspaper the best, everyone in the line of command get the message

Doubt if newspaper wants to print.

'DSLR user not allowed to photo GF without paying high fee while hoardes of tourist in BG take photos with small cameras'

is not exactly something that would stir up public response. In fact, most (non-DSLR using) people would just shrug their shoulders and say, "Siao ah! Nothing better to complain" and go back to watching their Channel 8 or whatever variety and soaps. It's simply something outside the scope of their existence and concerns.

Or worse, they might rally against you because you've stirred up something that might affect the influx of tourist dollars, and question your contribution to society by shooting a GF (or whatever) using a DSLR.

note to member with the want to shoot GF at museum incident: not saying you directly. Just use an example. It can be any example, just that I remembered the one you mentioned that's all.

'DSLR user not allowed to photo GF without paying high fee while hoardes of tourist in BG take photos with small cameras'

is not exactly something that would stir up public response. In fact, most (non-DSLR using) people would just shrug their shoulders and say, "Siao ah! Nothing better to complain" and go back to watching their Channel 8 or whatever variety and soaps. It's simply something outside the scope of their existence and concerns.

Or worse, they might rally against you because you've stirred up something that might affect the influx of tourist dollars, and question your contribution to society by shooting a GF (or whatever) using a DSLR.

note to member with the want to shoot GF at museum incident: not saying you directly. Just use an example. It can be any example, just that I remembered the one you mentioned that's all.
    there you go. some things remain the problem of a disposable minority, SLR/DSLR photography just ain't mainstream enough. end of the day just learn to respect the dynamics of the environment i.e. learn to be tactful ... speaking of which, i suspect the couple of people who actually do run into problems with securities highly possibly have problem with tactfulness going by their responses. face-to-face communication skills seems to be disappearing these days (that's why more people turn to the internet to complain and complain ... see how successful STOMP is )
    Last edited by eikin; 11th March 2008 at 10:08 PM.

Ya, that way i just smile and packup, continue my shoot in some other place. There are no point aguring with them, waste of time as they will have thousand & one reasons to cover themselves.

Just felt sad that museum should be a place to influence art and culture to the public, yet the staff are so hallow.

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    You weight 90kg??? you sure don't look like it
    my size very misleading hor? i have had a few who tried to swing their shoulders into me when i 'block' their entry into the train... they were sadly mistaken when they bounced back... i am standing there on purpose, of course i am prepared for what may come..
    Canonite
    Disciple of the Canonical Order

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    instead of getting his/her boss to reprimand that ''offending worm,'' knowing that he/she doesn't really know and is probably acting on instructions, why not ask for the boss and educate the boss in the face? you don't have to call someone a worm for his/her insufficient knowledge on the issue, do you?
    My gist was about educating the boss, perhaps it didn't come out too crystal-clear.

Having said that, if you've taken a good look at the situation in most places, why "worms" persist is because they are partly to blame for not working smart.

There are great chaps, and then there are "worms". Don't get offended, it's borne out from my interactions thus far with intransigent people whom, if they actually bother to reflect on their work ethic, would realise they're hapless victims too.
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 12th March 2008 at 01:24 AM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

guys, guys, guys, relax... sell off those DSLRs and buy a Leica M8... (relatively) small camera, (reasonably) silent operation, good image quality

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345