Thread: Ebay discrimination of Singaporeans?

Default Ebay discrimination of Singaporeans?

Hi,
    Recently I started trying out eBay and the last few days I got into a discussion on Paypal confirmed addresses. This is because a seller cancelled my bid on his item and rudely said that he suspected that I do not have a Paypal confirmed address so he won't be able to ship to me.
    Apparently some eBay sellers on the UK eBay discussion boards also keep insisting to me that Singaporeans cannot have Paypal confirmed addresses and only pple from US, UK and CA can have confirmed addresses. One guy even directed me to a thread that says this but it was in 2003!

Is this true?

Because all along I thought I had a Paypal confirmed address. At the Paypal site, under the Help Section it says this

q. How do I confirm my shipping address?
    A. Add a credit card to your PayPal account. By adding a credit card to your account, PayPal can attempt to confirm your address with your credit card company. If the credit card company is not able to confirm your address, you may be asked to complete the Expanded Use enrollment process to activate your credit card. Your address can be confirmed after that process is complete. Note: Not all credit card companies are able to confirm addresses.

So this is what I did, I added my credit card number to Paypal and I remember got a notification to say that my address has been confirmed.
    I even bought from a US seller last Sunday using my paypal account that is linked to my credit card.

Any experienced eBay bros here can help me by telling me how do i check if my paypal account has a confirmed address? Is it true that all singaporeans no matter what cannot possibly have a paypal confirmed address?

I WANNA SCREENCAP BIG BIG TO PROVE TO THOSE BUGGERS THAT SINGAPOREANS CAN HAVE A PAYPAL CONFIRMED ADDRESS.

Abit annoyed by those UK people, look down on singaporeans. And keep insisting that I cannot have a paypal confirmed address.

I think we need to rise up as Singaporeans. Cannot be pushed around by those people anymore.
    Last edited by Mystix; 9th March 2008 at 02:13 AM.

Default Re: Ebay discrimination of Singaporeans?

Did you key in the 4 digit number to verify your credit card? I also run into some headache with this Paypal thingy and it was the first time I use it....I find the process really sucks

I emailed to PayPal before about this..
    PayPal can only confirmed your account when you do the credit thing..
    They cannot confirm the address for Int'l account like us..
    So our address is 'Unconfirm' and some seller do not ship to unconfirm address.
    To them is like no security..
    But sometime can neg with them if you go many good rating..

Yah I remember I verified my credit card liao.

When i login to my paypal page
    It says
    Status - Singaporean verified

And when i click that, I see this

Then when i clicked the status i see this

So that means my paypal address is confirmed right?

Quote Originally Posted by donchua View Post
    I emailed to PayPal before about this..
    PayPal can only confirmed your account when you do the credit thing..
    They cannot confirm the address for Int'l account like us..
    So our address is 'Unconfirm' and some seller do not ship to unconfirm address.
    To them is like no security..
    But sometime can neg with them if you go many good rating..
    so that means what, our accounts are verified, but our addresses are not confirmed?

Verified and confirmed are different. Our addresses will never be confirmed (until they change the rules), so that means we cant buy from sellers who insist that they only ship to Confirmed addresses (meaning US or UK).

I dont think it's discriminating against Singaporeans, cos there are many other countries which also fall into this category.
    There is no life without fast cars....

Quote Originally Posted by holeinone View Post
    Verified and confirmed are different. Our addresses will never be confirmed (until they change the rules), so that means we cant buy from sellers who insist that they only ship to Confirmed addresses (meaning US or UK).

I dont think it's discriminating against Singaporeans, cos there are many other countries which also fall into this category.
    So that means all Singaporeans now do not have a Paypal confirmed address?
    Haizz this is really confusing.

In fact, my take is that I do not trade or do business over eBay with European store owners on the whole. They are really not as IT capable, nor do they know the details of online trade. My advice to them, if they happen to be reading this post is to look at think American and HK counterparts before they start shooting. I have received equally condescending replies from them wanting proof, this, that, .. ridiculous.

Not sure about the admin side of ebay/paypal, but going by some recent transactions that my friend did with sellers in the US and other places like Europe and UK states on the documents that member XYZ is does NOT have a confirmed PayPal address. Ship at your own risk bla bla bla.

I once asked a seller why many US sellers do not want to sell to SG and I got (the very courteous) reply that a lot of traders have been scammed in transactions originating from SG before, hence, the unwillingness to transact with members with a SG account.

Also, remember that there may still be American citizens still incensed over the Michael Fey caning (and our refusal to accede to the request of the then US president), as well as some Australians who refuse to do business with us over the hanging of one of their citizens (the Vietnamese drug dealer case).

To add: Generally, if you can give them a link to another respectable site or somewhere you can offer proof of positive feedback from international transactions (esp with folks from their country), and sound sincere and courteous, you'll find that quite a lot of them are actually nice folks and once their fears have been addressed, they will be willing to transact with you. With those who still refuse, just move on. There are tons more sellers out there.

Please note that this reply is NOT written to incite anti-whatever comments or responses (PLEASE do not make it such), but to share with TS (and whoever else) an idea of what others perceive and feel, and their possible reasons why there is some unwillingness to transact with SG.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 9th March 2008 at 01:31 AM.

Haizzz..
    Initially i was quite excited about eBay, because I just started exploring eBay last week and bought a MBP Applecare from a US seller for around SGD $310.
    Almost half of what I would have to pay here in Sg....darn good deal. And that transaction went through without any hiccups. So i thought all is well until I met that UK seller then found out about the hoo haa of Paypal confirmed address.

The funny things is until now, no one can tell me exactly what is the status with Sg paypal accounts (are they confirmed paypal addresses). Even the Paypal site, I cannot find anything on this about only CA, US and UK pple can have Paypal confirmed addresses.
    The closest i found was that they say that their system cannot verify most non-US credit card billing addresses. They said MOST, not ALL.
    And the fact is mine was verified.

I guess I'll just have to email Paypal direct about this to find out since no one can give a definite answer.

I know what it feels like Mystix, but I've done quite a few deals with US folks (for sports stuff), and generally, I find that contacting the seller right from the start, and being candid and courteous while addressing the important issues (like safety and shipping) generally earns their confidence.

Just keep on trying try and don't loose heart - just like sometimes in photography, we will always face some kind or problem, be it rejection or 'failure', but every time that happens, it's another golden opportunity to learn something new. And that's coming from someone who's actually quite cynical.

From initial fear, I actually made some nice friends from the US and Australia through a few transactions, and they look me up when they come by this way for a visit or on business.

Hi there, i've been trading in ebay for at least 2 years. Selling stuff and once a powerseller in ebay uk when i used to stay in UK. Yeah, the uk seller is right, only STATES, UK and CA have the status of CONFIRMED ADDRESS. And i understand that y some of the seller are not willing to sell their items to buyer paying via paypal using an unconfirmed address. It is because they will are not protected by paypal (which i've been scamed once at more than GBP500). That was a pain experience and since then, i never sell anything more than GBP200 to buyers paying via paypal with an unconfirmed address. Buyer can choose to pay via western union transfer, TT, bank draft.

Check here: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...ddress-outside ("This process takes several days and is only available for U.S. accounts.")

check here: http://ruk.ca/article/3586 ("Please note that because not all credit card companies are currently able to confirm an address, only some UK and Canadian addresses may be confirmed at this time.")

From my opinion only US, UK and CA paypal user can have a confirmed address becoz their banks and credit card companies do incur fraud transaction, but in singapore, if u report a fraud transaction, i think the bank will only ask u to call police, u lose the money ur problem. But US, UK and CA banks/ credit card company will incur all the rates and you will only need to pay a max charges of GBP50 or less.
    Last edited by sciguy; 9th March 2008 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sciguy View Post
    Hi there, i've been trading in ebay for at least 2 years. Selling stuff and once a powerseller in ebay uk when i used to stay in UK. Yeah, the uk seller is right, only STATES, UK, CA
    Wah sad...
    But call me an optimist, I'm still waiting for a official email reply from Paypal confirming this.
    Maybe that was true a few years back but maybe not now?

Btw, one thing I don't really understand is, aren't we (the buyers) supposed to pay first then they (the sellers) ship to us? So if we pay first and they can confirm our payment, why are they still afraid to ship to us or to any other country for that matter when they already have our money?

Sorry i'm still new to ebay.

One word: Chargeback.

It's a loop-hole in the system that was originally designed to help protect buyers, but has since been used to scam sellers.

You buy and pay through PayPal (the accepted safe standard on e-bay).

You receive the goods, and lodge a complaint.

Sound convincing enough and PayPal reverses the charges from the seller's account, so the seller is out of both goods and payment.

To resolve the whole thing usually takes ages with no clear right or wrong because it's largely you say I say, so most genuine and honest sellers just give up and move on.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 9th March 2008 at 02:33 AM.

True (about the unconfirmed address) but have good experiences using PayPal on eBay for yrs now. Never rejected once. Probably my items were cheap also.

Had very good experiences with PayPal when I was sold a pirated copy of software on eBay. Resolved within 2days (after just 1 email) and $ credited back to me promptly.

I'm afraid the banks policy over UK is different. Even a cleared cheque can be bounce after 4 weeks.

Yes, you will have to make a paypal payment before they ship, but let say someone's c.c. really been stolen, then he use it to buy something using paypal, not everyone will figure it out the next day or even a month back as you might have numbers of CC. Then when statements reach ur door step, you can always call the CC or make a police report, and contact paypal. Paypal will actually freeze the yours and seller's paypal account, or paypal will take out the money from the seller's account. Then they will do some investigation accordingly to their own paypal's regulations, if they really found that there's a fraud transaction, the money will be given back to the CC owner and seller will lose the money IF the buyer don't have a confirmed address.

IF the buyer has a confirmed address, and paypal reliase there's a fraud transaction, what paypal will do is paypal will give the money back to the seller, yeah, paypal will not give back the money back to the buyer, BUT THE BANK WILL INCUR the fraud transaction, you will only need to pay some charges.

And there's much more examples and techniques behind them, but i'm not going to tell them, so to avoid ppl from learning too many, and more frauds will be coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    One word: Chargeback.

It's a loop-hole in the system that was originally designed to help protect buyers, but has since been used to scam sellers.

You buy and pay through PayPal (the accepted safe standard on e-bay).

You receive the goods, and lodge a complaint.

Sound convincing enough and PayPal reverses the charges from the seller's account, so the seller is out of both goods and payment.

To resolve the whole thing usually takes ages with no clear right or wrong because it's largely you say I say, so most genuine and honest sellers just give up and move on.
    Yes, you are right, the only 1 word CHARGEBACK. I'll never forget this word after i was being scammed and chargeback occurs in my paypal account. That time, i just withdrawn my money to my bank account, i tot no money how r u going to chargeback me, but the balance shown is GBP -xxxx.xx lol, i was shocked. At the end, i still lost my goods and money, bad experience but it does help me alot in my further transactions.

If you really want to bid for an item, you can offer to pay via money transfer like international bank draft or such like, as sciguy suggested also... the seller would then be able to get the money before sending the item over... I have done this before, even with a seller who originally listed as only shipping within the US... be earnest and polite in your message to the seller

Quote Originally Posted by sciguy View Post
    Yes, you are right, the only 1 word CHARGEBACK. I'll never forget this word after i was being scammed and chargeback occurs in my paypal account. That time, i just withdrawn my money to my bank account, i tot no money how r u going to chargeback me, but the balance shown is GBP -xxxx.xx lol, i was shocked. At the end, i still lost my goods and money, bad experience but it does help me alot in my further transactions.
    I heard about paypal CHARGEBACK before, so just a single call and paypal will do so for u? my seller had shipped out something i won but somehow it was a wrong address and so far still not traced. so can i do a CHARGEBACK? or there is a time duration?

I onced scanned my id, bank statement with address and one bill with address and upload to paypal account for verification.

Anyway, if the seller refused to sell you then just leave it, it is senseless to fight and even make it like a singaporean nationality issue, it actually just piss off those seller more.

I bid in ebay, most UK seller ship worldwide, and some US sellers stated ship to US, since i got a vpost account, i bid too. But they will still cancel my bid due to my account registered as singapore.