View Poll Results: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • They think they are like Ansel Adams who can make brillant pics even from a pns or cam hp.

    19 23.46%
  • They think the rest are not as smart as them, so need to remind them again and again.

    14 17.28%
  • To comfort themselves when they couldn't buy the cam or lenses that were being discussed.

    28 34.57%
  • Nothing better to say, increase post counts.

    20 24.69%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 112

Thread: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

  1. #81

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    Guru...u the MAN!
    Yeah! Man and Woman.
    Let's shoot photo without Camera And let camera shoot it's own picture. Yo... yo... Yo... I like this forum...
    :blah: D80, Sigma 18-50/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8 (HSM).

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    I don't have the impression that the "it's not the equipment ..." thing comes up everytime. There can be (and are) technical discussions that have their merit. But I do have the impression that many postings a la "I am limited by my current camera, should I upgrade to a Nikanolta Mk5DS3+++ or a Leisselblad XL5/pro" are rather obvious pretexts for "I want to buy myself a new toy".

    There's nothing wrong with getting oneself a new toy, but then be honest about it. If not, what's wrong with an answer like "it's not the equipment".

    Of course, equipment limitations can be a hindrance in some cases. But looking at the vast majority of photos that people post here, it's clear that equipment is rarely the limiting factor. I also believe that once you understand/can appreciate the usefulness of/need for certain technical specifications, there's little left that would need to be discussed which hasn't been beaten to death elsewhere. It is very revealing if you want to buy a fancy camera because you "need" some high-tech feature, yet you don't really understand what it is.

  3. #83

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I thought this is funny, but damn well summarised. In any case, there are really some gear wankers with load$ of gear, but can't produce a decent image compare to a guy with a kit set.


    Cheers,
    that's what i think so... to have a good image produce from whatever tools u hold on your hand. but not everyone can do it.

  4. #84

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I thought this is funny, but damn well summarised. In any case, there are really some gear wankers with load$ of gear, but can't produce a decent image compare to a guy with a kit set.


    Cheers,
    that's what i think so... to have a good image produce from whatever tools u hold on your hand. but not everyone can do it.

  5. #85
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    i believe we may have some disagreement to the extent of the issue.

    wanting the highest and the most expensive model without stating any limitations is rarely the case, or at least hardly as common as those who consider between entry/sub-entry models versus intermediate/semi-professional models without knowing why, how and what will change.

    if your question is what's "wrong" with the statement, then there is two way of looking at it,

    1. academically: the statement is true as a "most often" situation, but not as an absolute or almost always. also, subject and tools are not as minor as what the statement seem to suggest, despite of user being of a significant factor. limited subject and limited tools means that the user can only do things in a certain limited way which may or may not derive good pictures depending on how limited the subject and tools are, as well as how optimised the user can make use of the limits. for more specific requirements of a certain field or vision, the user plays less role, except for making the subject and tools available to him.

    2. practically: non-specification between these one-liners is just as good as those who ask about upgrades without saying why. not considering what technical aspect indicates an upgrade is similar in a way to not specifying what user factor, when improved, would avoid wasting that money. put it simply, knowing or saying that statement alone is not enough - a user not only need to know he can do it, he also need to know how he can do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    I don't have the impression that the "it's not the equipment ..." thing comes up everytime. There can be (and are) technical discussions that have their merit. But I do have the impression that many postings a la "I am limited by my current camera, should I upgrade to a Nikanolta Mk5DS3+++ or a Leisselblad XL5/pro" are rather obvious pretexts for "I want to buy myself a new toy".
    Last edited by zoossh; 12th March 2008 at 10:47 PM.

  6. #86

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    I think sometimes equipment really matters.

    Like with my D40 and its kit lens, there's no way I can take shots like kongping did here.

    For that case, it's the equipment, not the man behind the cam.

  7. #87
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by racoon31e View Post
    I think sometimes equipment really matters.

    Like with my D40 and its kit lens, there's no way I can take shots like kongping did here.

    For that case, it's the equipment, not the man behind the cam.
    Than if you buy the same set up as his, so you can take same kind of photos.. am I correct to say that?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #88

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Than if you buy the same set up as his, so you can take same kind of photos.. am I correct to say that?
    wwwooooo... that is a little painful mate...

    I think he meant with the same set up, there is possibility that he can get the same images and with practise and time, maybe that is a great possibility. At the end of the day, photography is a craft that makes the shooter improve over time...
    Last edited by microcosm; 12th March 2008 at 11:24 PM.

  9. #89
    Deregistered satan_18349's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    hell 極樂世&
    Posts
    1,498

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    I would say, with the correct knowledge and technique, yes. Btw don't have to put up a reply to racoon31e sarcastically and i don't think he mean it that way.

  10. #90
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by satan_18349 View Post
    I would say, with the correct knowledge and technique, yes. Btw don't have to put up a reply to racoon31e sarcastically and i don't think he mean it that way.
    than he should said no one can produce that kind of photos with a Nikon D40.

    I think Nikon would agreed with this, of course.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #91
    Member BlueBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Its just like football "experts" saying "The Ball Is Round..." when they have no freaking idea what is going on......
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

  12. #92
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by microcosm View Post
    wwwooooo... that is a little painful mate...

    I think he meant with the same set up, there is possibility that he can get the same images and with practise and time, maybe that is a great possibility. At the end of the day, photography is a craft that makes the shooter improve over time...
    that's what I understand from what he wrote, when I read from left to right, and from right to left...
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #93
    Deregistered satan_18349's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    hell 極樂世&
    Posts
    1,498

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    that's what I understand from what he wrote, when I read from left to right, and from right to left...
    Maybe its late and affecting your mind, Please look/read/understand what he wrote from left to right, and from right to left again. When did he ever mention anything about NO ONE can take that kind of pic?

    And I think Nikon would not use freezing actions shots as a selling point for D40, of course.

  14. #94
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by satan_18349 View Post
    Maybe its late and affecting your mind, Please look/read/understand what he wrote from left to right, and from right to left again. When did he ever mention anything about NO ONE can take that kind of pic?

    And I think Nikon would not use freezing actions shots as a selling point for D40, of course.
    what the propose of starting this thread/poll??

    thinking of equipment can solve all the issues, OK, than stand up for what you believe, say it out loud.

    I'm asking racoon31e does he think that with better equipment he can produce superb picture? if yes, why not, that's his believing, which line that I wrote ever "hoot" him??

    you are the one say I wrote sarcastically! and I'm not happy.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #95
    Deregistered satan_18349's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    hell 極樂世&
    Posts
    1,498

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    what the propose of starting this thread/poll??

    thinking of equipment can solve all the issues, OK, than stand up for what you believe, say it out loud.

    I'm asking racoon31e does he think that with better equipment he can produce superb picture? if yes, why not, that's his believing, which line that I wrote ever "hoot" him??

    you are the one say I wrote sarcastically! and I'm not happy.
    The purpose is not to condemn this statement, and please read again from top to bottom again and again to see each and every post (not just mine). No one and i repeat NO ONE had ever said that equipment solves everything. Get it?

    Sarcastic or not, well....

  16. #96

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    .....and I'm not happy.
    whats bothering you??
    cheer up

    the equipment does play a large role in my photography
    how are you suppose to take birds with a 10-22mm??

  17. #97
    Deregistered satan_18349's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    hell 極樂世&
    Posts
    1,498

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    whats bothering you??
    cheer up

    the equipment does play a large role in my photography
    how are you suppose to take birds with a 10-22mm??
    Haa, i supposed maybe bring along a 10 metre high ladder?


    Anyway, from all the replies posted, I believe anyone (except for some you-know-who)who is reading should have a clearer picture of what this thread is about.

    If the rest still thinks that this is about condeming the statement, so be it, go read all the posts up and down, left to right again and again.

  18. #98

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Haa, i supposed maybe bring along a 10 metre high ladder?
    Even then you would scare the birds away

  19. #99
    Deregistered satan_18349's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    hell 極樂世&
    Posts
    1,498

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    I know, but maybe someone with superb skill who does not need any fancy nancy equipment can make it happen? Perhaps even with a pin-hole or lomo?

  20. #100
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

    Quote Originally Posted by racoon31e View Post
    I think sometimes equipment really matters.

    Like with my D40 and its kit lens, there's no way I can take shots like kongping did here.

    For that case, it's the equipment, not the man behind the cam.
    i do agree you cant cause the kit lens is just too short.

    i did capture these kind of shots before, using m42 mount manual focus 300mm f4 on my eos-d60. though its only 50% hit rate.

    when people say the statement, i doubt "They think they are like Ansel Adams who can make brillant pics even from a pns or cam hp."

    also, i doubt they mean you can achieve a 300mm lens close up using a 18-55mm kit lens. but rather, given a good old m42 mount manual focus 300mm lens, with practice, you can take sport photo as you would with a 300mm auto-focus lens (now dslr, cheaper lar, not like doing film days) though the hit rate may be lower.

    also, can anyone advice me what kind of eqpt are needed if i want to freeze the moment when a dart burst a balloon filled with water? modern day high tech camera and flash? i garentee u, answer is no.
    Last edited by denniskee; 13th March 2008 at 02:02 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •