Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: why do people ask what equipment?

Default Re: why do people ask what equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    actually a lot of famous street/war photographers who are professionals use small cameras

even those who are living. can't really remember their names offhand, but maybe their images
    There's a National Geographic photog who made a beautiful photo documentary of North Korea using just an old Sony P7, because the border cops "confiscated" his 350D. But his pictures were beautiful.
    Alpha

just a gentle reminder to everyone to keep the discussion civil, and to refrain from getting personal or name calling.

Simply put, if our hands and mind are not up to par, what system we use is of no consequence, because the output will not be optimum.

Perhaps we all should read more journals on photography and the socio-cultural dimension of chronicling a "moment in the present", and this is far more important than the relative width of apertures of a shiny new range of lenses or that huge black/white/red camera body.

What's the use of collecting a shop and not being able to do justice with the metal in our hands? Similarly, what's the use of being able to choreograph and visualise a perfect portfolio without the proper tools to carry it out?

It's all about balance and being skilled and sensitive enough to know when either the "eye" or the "system" is needed, and in what proportion.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Post Re: why do people ask what equipment?

All brands have their pros and cons. It's subjective as to what is the most important criteria in selection eg color tones. Maybe that's why some would ask. Maybe they already perceived what that "brand/camera" can deliver and believe in their own potential to achieve, given their top priority is met. As for artistry, I think all of us know it takes time to nurture and painful process to develop. I don't think it's irrelevant to ask such questions.
    There are some brands that I would rather not have as I don't like the color tones/ hue but then this is personal taste. I don't condemned the pics as "bad" either. Some like commercial ( unrealistic color) quality while others like faithful pics.
    We can't assume that when people ask the question,it's always a compliment. Sometimes we ask so that we won't get the same kind of result. Only the inquirer knows.

If you feel that people who ask about equipment bothers you so much, then just ignore them.

I think you are quite successful in making your statement. So at least whenever you post a picture, people will be reminded to not ask for your equipment.

So simple! =)

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    After all, is one gonna ask what brand of Pen or PC does Jeffery Archer uses to write his novels right?
    Good parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Forget it, waileong, should never try to change his FIXED and ENFORCED mindset. He already thinks that it is a waste of time and $$ getting new cams. He thinks skills is everything. Getting bigger, better cams are not what a REAL photographers should do.
    You are not getting the point here.

The issue is not whether it is a waste of time and money getting gear or not. So tell me, that spanking new D3 or Hassy on the shelf - it takes photos on its own? Didn't think so.

Skills are not everything, neither are bigger, better cameras.

.1: Choosing the right tool for the right job. Choose the right camera and lens to do the right job. It does not necessarily have to be the best, and you don't necessarily have to use the biggest. As long as it is appropriate, it will do. Where does the responsibility of choosing appropriate gear lie with? Who else, the photographer.

.2: Bigger, better, newer cameras cannot take photos by themselves, no matter how appropriate they are for the job. The true creativity, WRT a photograph, still lies behind the viewfinder. I tell you, most of the time, when someone asks "what camera did you take the photo with?", he is assuming that by using the same camera, he can reproduce the same photo, and he is downplaying your part in the creative process of producing the photo. Anyone can have the newest camera, but it is YOU that composes the image and shoots it. Wouldn't it be stupid if everyone with the same camera ends up with the same images?

Skills are nothing without a creative medium to express it. Similarly, a creative medium without the creative force behind it, is of no use.

Honestly, you have only yourself to call a hypocrite - your mindset is similar to your accusations: fixed and enforced, no doubt narrowminded as well.

Simple enough for all to see, your focus is still on the gear, not the balance of the gear and the photographer; this balance is called photography.
    Last edited by calebk; 10th March 2008 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    You are not getting the point here.

The issue is not whether it is a waste of time and money getting gear or not. So tell me, that spanking new D3 or Hassy on the shelf - it takes photos on its own? Didn't think so.

Skills are not everything, neither are bigger, better cameras.

.1: Choosing the right tool for the right job. Choose the right camera and lens to do the right job. It does not necessarily have to be the best, and you don't necessarily have to use the biggest. As long as it is appropriate, it will do. Where does the responsibility of choosing appropriate gear lie with? Who else, the photographer.

.2: Bigger, better, newer cameras cannot take photos by themselves, no matter how appropriate they are for the job. The true creativity, WRT a photograph, still lies behind the viewfinder. I tell you, most of the time, when someone asks "what camera did you take the photo with?", he is assuming that by using the same camera, he can reproduce the same photo, and he is downplaying your part in the creative process of producing the photo. Anyone can have the newest camera, but it is YOU that composes the image and shoots it. Wouldn't it be stupid if everyone with the same camera ends up with the same images?

Skills are nothing without a creative medium to express it. Similarly, a creative medium without the creative force behind it, is of no use.

Honestly, you have only yourself to call a hypocrite - your mindset is similar to your accusations: fixed and enforced, no doubt narrowminded as well.

Simple enough for all to see, your focus is still on the gear, not the balance of the gear and the photographer; this balance is called photography.
    Well said.

The good photographer will know what he need.

Those who say you don't need BIG equipment when on a paid assignment don't know what is showmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    Those who say you don't need BIG equipment when on a paid assignment don't know what is showmanship.

"M-U-S-T L-O-O-K P-R-O..."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234