Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why do people ask what equipment?

Default Re: why do people ask what equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    Ask yourself: do have u have the habit of noticing other's photographer's camera brand?

Maybe it's a second nature of a photographer?
    actually, i do

i just check to see if they are using pentax so we have more to talk about if they want to talk like how pretty our lens caps are compared to other brands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    it's actually a compliment to you, IMO, because that person cannot believe that you can produce such a nice photo yourself and at the same time, obviously he doesnt know much about photography to have to ask you those questions .....
    yeah. that's why, i don't quite see where the logic comes from. to me, certainly more expensive dslrs can be justified purchases.. you can probably achieve more with them, but when i see like photos which could be achieved with almost anything under the sun.. why do people want to know what camera produced it then? not saying that the pictures aren't good, but frankly, it's a null pt!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You mean like this?
    that is nikon la brudder

chio:

buey chio:

Last edited by night86mare; 8th March 2008 at 06:48 PM.

Chio meh? The Nikon brand stands out nice and proud. While Pentax hides and can hardly be seen! :P

Unless of course you are refering to the build of the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by pictureperfect View Post
    Chio meh? The Nikon brand stands out nice and proud. While Pentax hides and can hardly be seen! :P

Unless of course you are refering to the build of the cap.
    alamak, just a joke la

oei oei oei, no more ot, everytime mod and mattlock say i ot a lot

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    alamak, just a joke la

oei oei oei, no more ot, everytime mod and mattlock say i ot a lot
    Every forum needs an OT Queen.

sorry, in this case your analogy vastly fails

in this case the cook cannot quite modify his food after it is finally prepared

whereas there is photoshop <3 <3 <3

take for example, colors produced by good lens and colors produced by not so good lens - if you spend enough time you can probably achieve the same thing so long as the not so good lens is not horrible

if got cui oil and good oil, you sit there for 8000 years and tweak the taste also no use
    Huh? When or where did i mention anything about the food being prepared already? And you're immensely wrong and contradicting too with your theory.

So you mean bad oil + good cook = Not so good cuisine? While you keep emphasizing good photographer + norml cam = better pics?

Quote Originally Posted by satan_18349 View Post
    Huh? When or where did i mention anything about the food being prepared already? And you're immensely wrong and contradicting too with your theory.

So you mean bad oil + good cook = Not so good cuisine? While you keep emphasizing good photographer + norml cam = better pics?
    the limiting factor on ingredients in cooking

extends much more than that in photography

you see - if i give a good photographer what some may call a trashcam.. he might actually be able to come up with something different.. even if it is a spoilt cam with fungus problems, etc

are you telling me that a good cook can come up with something with rotten ingredients?

anyways, we digress from the point, essentially analogies do not serve to facilitate discussion if one hasn't noticed already, at least for 80% of the time because LIKE IT OR NOT, one can always provide similarities and differences for two different genres, it is much better to address the point DIRECTLY

Why ask the question if you already have a fixed point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    why ask why i ask the question if you already have a fixed pov about my pov?

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    People are always looking for that magic camera that'll do it all, just hit the shutter photo will turn out great that sort of thing.

They forget it's never about the camera. A good photog can take a great photo with a Kodak Brownie.
    Although it's possible that a good photographer with a Brownie could take an artistically superior or compositionally better photo than an amateur, I think this is misleading for the following reasons:

a. The application is ignored. A Brownie is good at certain things, not good at other things. Eg. In dim light, the Brownie could not take a decent picture, while an amateur with an F1.0 lens still has options. Of course, the pro may be more clever, he may go for long-exposure "artistic" images, but he will not be able to take the same type of pictures as someone with a fast lens and a high ISO camera. Ditto for sports, for birding, macro, etc.

While a good photographer has skill, it can only overcome equipment limitations so much. If I challenged the 100 m world champion to a race, I could win if he were to carry a backpack full of rocks. So if a good photographer wants to shoot macros with a Brownie, I'm prepared to see how well I can do with a macro lens.

b. There are many good photographers who may have never used a Brownie. Maybe they grew up in the digital age, who knows, but it doesn't make them any less good than photogs who grew up in the film age.

c. The context is ignored. You assume the question is posed by someone looking for a magic bullet to superb photography. Does it mean that good photographers are not interested in equipment? For those who are really good, really maxing out on the potential of what they currently own, if they see someone publish a shot that they know they could not achieve with the equipment they currently own, I think they are entitled to ask what equipment was used to achieve it.

c. The context is ignored. You assume the question is posed by someone looking for a magic bullet to superb photography. Does it mean that good photographers are not interested in equipment? For those who are really good, really maxing out on the potential of what they currently own, if they see someone publish a shot that they know they could not achieve with the equipment they currently own, I think they are entitled to ask what equipment was used to achieve it.
    focal length, lens used, etc, i can understand

at web size, do you really think that there is anything to do with camera bodies, especially, where one would be able to tell that he cannot achieve it with his camera body, etc?

note, we are not talking about a large wall print

with the advancement of imaging technology anyways, it won't be long before it might actually be possible to blow up a 2 megapixel image and make it look reasonably good quality for wall size print

why ask why i ask the question if you already have a fixed pov about my pov?
    Same reason they select juries very carefully-- to see if potential jurors have biases before they are allowed to step forward.

If one wants to solicit opinions, there should be preconceived notions.

Same reason they select juries very carefully-- to see if potential jurors have biases before they are allowed to step forward.

If one wants to solicit opinions, there should be preconceived notions.
    and if the jury selection committee is biased as well?

you don't really get my point right, there is no point asking about my point of view

since you are adamant that i have a point of view in the first place, which i do, but you are not me, can you be sure?

It is not a question.
    It is a very loud statement....

" The beatiful picture you are looking at is the result of my..... and the equiment has no....."

But life has taught me this; for certain jobs you need certain tools....and no tools are created equal.

i can understand ask what settings

what flash arrangement, etc

whether gnd filters were used; these are fine

but why do people want to know what camera model was used?

Think so much for what?

It has long been known that .......

Guys are always obsessed with their equipment, and whether the equipment of the guy next to them better or bigger or not.

I think people are curious...to me that's the benchmark and usually we only ask if the pictures are impressive

i can understand ask what settings

what flash arrangement, etc

whether gnd filters were used; these are fine

but why do people want to know what camera model was used?
    just out of curiosity lah.

it's also an eye-opening experience!

for example, it was refreshing to read that magnum photog alex majoli shot some award winning photos with an oly 5050 prosumer. that HCB shot using a leica (even though his most famous photo was not sharp at all!). that contest winning photos have been shot by cameras from every known camera brand, DSLR's, SLR's, compacts, zooms (yes, including kit lenses!), primes, etc. that ansel adams shot LF at f64 to achieve his legendary b&w prints.

yes, the camera matters, and so does the photographer.

let the individual decide for himself/herself which one matters more (or less).

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post

let the individual decide for himself/herself which one matters more (or less).

yar that's why zaren, the examples you describe prove that there are good photos taken with mediocre cameras, and we always will have examples of bad photos taken with good cameras

in terms of color reproduction, palette, etc.. at web size i am really curious why people bother.. i mean if i am willing to buy gnd filter for a canon powershot camera.. what's to say that it will look any different from pictures taken with my dslr when it is 800 x 600 or so?

i really was hoping some of the people would clarify, so it is nothing more than just curiosity?

anyways, i wasn't looking to suan anyone but people always think i like to suan leh, got better things to do like maths

Would love it if you could teach me the 'maths and science' of your post processing techniques one day....without the scientific jargon as that would fly over my feeble head.

yar that's why zaren, the examples you describe prove that there are good photos taken with mediocre cameras, and we always will have examples of bad photos taken with good cameras

in terms of color reproduction, palette, etc.. at web size i am really curious why people bother.. i mean if i am willing to buy gnd filter for a canon powershot camera.. what's to say that it will look any different from pictures taken with my dslr when it is 800 x 600 or so?

i really was hoping some of the people would clarify, so it is nothing more than just curiosity?

anyways, i wasn't looking to suan anyone but people always think i like to suan leh, got better things to do like maths
    ansel adams would have been very upset that you called his camera "mediocre"
    but then again, his photos were also largely the result of his fantastic darkroom skill.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast