• Camera Body & Lense - Togather

104 27.23%
  • Camera Body & Lense - Including all other gears

235 61.52%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry Cabinet Storage Patten

Default Re: Dry Cabinet Storage Patten

Quote Originally Posted by victorlee10 View Post
    I think not only issue of money also issue of space.... like the place i'm staying in now.... where to find space for a 2nd dry cabi??
    nah..... both are important issue..... MONEY & SPACE.... hehehee

Scuba & Father... For Life

No logic to keep the cameras and the lenses separate at all. They all need to be kept under the same dry conditions. But I have a tendency to keep the more frequently used items together so that I open the other cabinet less often.

Cheers,

Mabbe need for those who own big lenses..... guess only

ya, second dry cabinet came along when there's not enuff place for stuffs... cam n lens separately? keekee... think too much i guess, just place everything back in any empty slot...

I went to a shop to ask. The guy said, whats more important is that you remove all the fabrics stuffs like your neck or hand strap cause these contain moisture and will grow mould.

So i took the trouble to remove and strap the neckstrap all the time when i bring out to use.

But back to the question. I partition my two shelves and place my body with kit lens on the top shelf closer to the drying mechanism. While the bottom shelf is only 1 more lens which i hardly use. Hopefully, logically it means it maintains my cam body moisture first.
    Last edited by johngiam; 11th March 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Well there is some truth in the fact that anything that contains moisture (e.g. neck straps, packaging, etc) will add to the load of the dehumdifiying unit. But if the gear is constantly used, it's not too much of a problem and I usually don't borther. Anyway, I've pretty much not used a neck strap since 15 years ago.

Cheers,

If I ever need to get a 2nd dry cabin, I will most likely to put all those stuffs that i hardly use in one and those that I use more often in another.

If I had 2 dry cabinets, I would definitely put the lenses and and body separate, it just makes things more organized when pulling out the body and then the lens. I might even arrange the trays according to focal length or something. Right not, I arrange my trays according to the MF equipment, AF equipment, lenses and film.

Many have talked about putting lens separate from body IF they have 2 dry cab. But I don get what's the point?

You open the dry cab to take out ur lens and the other dry cab to take out your body. The opening up time probably cause the moisture environment in and out of the cab to be equilibrium. Which means, opening a dry cab makes the moisture go in. What for?

Then again, if you rarely use lens, and put them in a separate box.
    Would anyone set a lower humid level? What happens if the humid level is too low?
    Would it damage the lens?

I got a crap idea, why not get a bigger dry cabinet and put in silica gel to speed up the "drying" process faster? Like this, the humid lowers faster and works even if there's a power failure LOL and there's zero chance for mould HAHA!

Very strange! Unless the dry cabinet features temperature control, otherwise there's not diff. Maybe the saleman will also sell u a pyramid shape storage, it's said to enhance the sharpness of lens... heheh..

Quote Originally Posted by coffee3in1 View Post
    Very strange! Unless the dry cabinet features temperature control, otherwise there's not diff. Maybe the saleman will also sell u a pyramid shape storage, it's said to enhance the sharpness of lens... heheh..
    LOL, and a transparent one for photo clarity. Good joke

Quote Originally Posted by johngiam View Post
    You open the dry cab to take out ur lens and the other dry cab to take out your body. The opening up time probably cause the moisture environment in and out of the cab to be equilibrium. Which means, opening a dry cab makes the moisture go in. What for?

Then again, if you rarely use lens, and put them in a separate box.
    Would anyone set a lower humid level? What happens if the humid level is too low?
    Would it damage the lens?

I got a crap idea, why not get a bigger dry cabinet and put in silica gel to speed up the "drying" process faster? Like this, the humid lowers faster and works even if there's a power failure LOL and there's zero chance for mould HAHA!
    I think for those who has a lot of photo gear, they would want to separate them according to the frequency of use. They will put the more frequent use ones together so when they take them out, it will require just one open/close.

I have 3 dry cabinets (1x40L, 2x300L) but they are being used for storage other than photo equipment. I am about to get another one (300L/400L) very soon and am looking at Digi-Cabi this time around as the company which produce AM-PRO models that I have no longer exist. I believe Digi-Cabi bought over the AM-PRO company and is providing similar product. I must say the AM-PRO product is quite reliable as the oldest one I have is around 10 years and so far the humidity is being kept in the range all the time without any malfunction.

For camera body and lenses, these equipment should be kept at 40-50% humidity. You will need to change it to 30% if you are keeping Chinese herbs or tea leaves.

If the temperature needed are the same, so one. Unless temperature different then two...

I just keep the same humidity level for my two camera dry cabis. I would not say I use them equally since one is more of lenses the other is more of accessories ( and some lenses )

Ryan

I have 2 cabinets and a dry box.

I kept my film SLR and 2 lens in the dry box cos they are the least used. One smaller 60L cabinet is for my son's P&S and FZ50 some infrequently used lens and filters, while the other 100L cabinet is for my 2 bodies and frequently used lens. Flash and other accessories are kept in a cabinet as these do not require to be kept in dry cabinets.

Oh I seperate the lens from the bodies cos that will give me more space.

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Mabbe need for those who own big lenses..... guess only
    I have a friend who just put his 500mm in a 60L cabinet with all the shelves removed.

As for my dry cabinet there are 4 shelves.
    and the 1st shelve have a foams for putting lens as the rest is just normal flat foams.
    So i have to put my lens at the 1st shelve and camera body on the 2nd shelve as for the rest I put my batteries and filter....

Just wonder, is it advisable besides the camera and lens, to include the external harddisks, important CDs, and videocam's tape media. My concern is the videocam's tape media: these are 7 - 10 years ago. How to check if they are fungus infected? Will they contaminate my other gears - scientifically proven?

Quote Originally Posted by elmobarney View Post
    Just wonder, is it advisable besides the camera and lens, to include the external harddisks, important CDs, and videocam's tape media. My concern is the videocam's tape media: these are 7 - 10 years ago. How to check if they are fungus infected? Will they contaminate my other gears - scientifically proven?
    What is the main reason for using a dry cabinet? Are hard disks, CD, tapes etc. susceptible to fungus?
    Hard disk are sealed, nothing can go inside or come out. Fungus infection is impossible. CD/DVD can be infected and destroyed by fungus, especially if the rim is not properly sealed. Some experiments testing the aging processes of CD/DVD have shown this. But it's not common or usual, otherwise people in SE Asia would know by today.
    It's good to provide your tapes a storage with defined parameters - although it might be to late already. Better have them checked, if the tape is already stick together you will have other problems than fungus. Fungus (or to be scientifically precise: it's spores) are airborne. So all your gear, CD/DVDs, tapes and whatnot has already spores sitting on it. If the conditions are good (darkness, humidity, organic material) then the fungus will start growing. That's the reason why the main tips for storing are: keep it clean and dry (50%).

Talking Re: Dry Cabinet Storage Patten

hi guys,

a noob here.. i don't own a dry cab.. but one of my mate say that i can leave my DLSR in the bag just chuck a pack of thirsty hippo.. it helps he say.. he's been doing it for few years now..

or u can put Ur cam n lens in a Tupperware airtight n throw in the thirsty hippo..

so what do u guys think?

need some help here...

where can i get a cheap n reliable dry cab..

thanks

cheers
    Shawn Covvey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast