Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

  1. #1

    Default digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    link



    Marta applied to a modelling agency and was rejected. Andrzej then saw her test photos by chance just a few months later and that’s how Marta became interested in being photographed. The photograph is interesting – not because of the fright it triggers, but because of a collision of two Martas. Thankfully Marta has now undergone treatment for her anorexia and is progressing well.

    comments by judges:

    “One of the most powerful portraits that I’ve ever seen. The technical quality, lighting and composition are matched by the extremely emotive power of the subject.”

    “With this beautiful young face and what looks like an aged body, this was a clear winner, despite the harrowing nature of the image. The photo almost defies belief. It’s also helped by clear, simple lighting and composition. What this does demonstrate is how a good, simple treatment of such a remarkable subject can still produce a memorable image.”

    “A heartbreaking photo that must have required a great deal of trust between photographer and subject.”
    perhaps there is something to learn here

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    west side!
    Posts
    725

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    beautiful pic with a simple rendition to it.

    applude the trust and guts that the model has in herself and the photographer.
    i have dealt with many who are anorexic and it's never easy for the person

    no need for talk abt lighting, picture reproduction etc
    the composition and trust shown is a absolute winner

  3. #3
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    Concentration camp grunge look?
    The irony is this girl is now a model... unfortunately under the wrong circumstances.

    Aside from the graphic quality of the subject, if there weren't for the flower in the hair to give an accent colour, the picture would be quite flat. Technically the photographer is good. Good shadow on the nose.

  4. #4

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    another photo, seemingly of the same subject here

    link

    who says models have to be beautiful with a perfect body? surface looks aside, i think the photo is superb. if anything it has so many inherent meanings and statements

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    west side!
    Posts
    725

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    dei... let's ignore the technicalities la...
    wat shadow, lighting and color
    sure this pic anyone can do.
    but who dares to do it and wat effort the photographer spent on the model making the pic happen?

    how abt concentrating on the emotions of the picture conveyed?
    as someone said, a picture paints a thousand words.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    Quote Originally Posted by tribal.snake View Post
    dei... let's ignore the technicalities la...
    wat shadow, lighting and color
    sure this pic anyone can do.
    but who dares to do it and wat effort the photographer spent on the model making the pic happen?

    how abt concentrating on the emotions of the picture conveyed?
    as someone said, a picture paints a thousand words.
    Yes anyone can do it, its whether they have the insight to do it that really makes them special.

    Kudos to the photographer and the model, fantastic images.

    For those that havnt heard of KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid. Works well most of the time!

  7. #7

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    speechless.

    too much thoughts
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    The bigger question is whether would anyone who is going through anorexia in the face of being a world class model allow any photographer to photograph her ought to be a bigger question.

    Being a technically proficient photographer is one thing, but having the access to take such photographs is another.

  9. #9

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    The photo's great, the imagery offered however, is appalling...

    I guess the photographer has delivered his message, job very well done.

  10. #10

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    interesting - the views here are pretty positive

    i have seen many discussions over the web, not sure if you will find the points brought up valid, i.e. that the photographer exploited the fact that in some sense there is pity/compassion to be felt in this image, and the image is akin to the freak show of old and the model is being exploited

    me - i think - just because a portrait photograph brings up feelings and thoughts for once, doesn't mean it should be discounted
    and the model is willing, i would think, and while the image is definitely jarring, i won't exactly call it a freak show.

    on another note, perhaps natalie portman's character in closer makes a valid point about photography:

    It's a lie. It's a bunch of sad strangers photographed beautifully, and... all the glittering *******s who appreciate art say it's beautiful 'cause that's what they wanna see. But the people in the photos are sad, and alone... But the pictures make the world seem beautiful, so... the exhibition is reassuring which makes it a lie, and everyone loves a big fat lie.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    interesting - the views here are pretty positive

    i have seen many discussions over the web, not sure if you will find the points brought up valid, i.e. that the photographer exploited the fact that in some sense there is pity/compassion to be felt in this image, and the image is akin to the freak show of old and the model is being exploited

    me - i think - just because a portrait photograph brings up feelings and thoughts for once, doesn't mean it should be discounted
    and the model is willing, i would think, and while the image is definitely jarring, i won't exactly call it a freak show.

    on another note, perhaps natalie portman's character in closer makes a valid point about photography:
    One of my favorite films, was going to quote that earlier but didnt, she makes a very valid point.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    interesting - the views here are pretty positive

    i have seen many discussions over the web, not sure if you will find the points brought up valid, i.e. that the photographer exploited the fact that in some sense there is pity/compassion to be felt in this image, and the image is akin to the freak show of old and the model is being exploited

    me - i think - just because a portrait photograph brings up feelings and thoughts for once, doesn't mean it should be discounted
    and the model is willing, i would think, and while the image is definitely jarring, i won't exactly call it a freak show.

    on another note, perhaps natalie portman's character in closer makes a valid point about photography:
    you can't make a photograph without exploiting on reality. what matters is the vision that orchestrate the image making.

    this is a powerful image that sends a strong message. for all the technical beauty that lie in the picture, it's ultimately the reality of the message that made this picture, and that message is not a beautiful one. there may be people who become jealous of the things the photographer achieved, the photographer may become famous/make millions from this series of pictures, but what does that have to do with the message the photographer brought?

  13. #13

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    One of my favorite films, was going to quote that earlier but didnt, she makes a very valid point.
    perhaps too overly pessimistic though

    who doesn't want to find beauty even in ugly photographs, i.e. sometimes some may actually find it hard to stomach that a good brutal, war photograph could be considered as art

    speaking of which, that's weird, my copy of the pullout with the winners announced has a war photograph with a burnt girl in it, very horrifying, but the winner on the website is the runner up in the copy i have. anyone knows what happened?

    on another note, there's a winning entry from singapore

    link

  14. #14

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you can't make a photograph without exploiting on reality. what matters is the vision that orchestrate the image making.

    this is a powerful image that sends a strong message. for all the technical beauty that lie in the picture, it's ultimately the reality of the message that made this picture, and that message is not a beautiful one. there may be people who become jealous of the things the photographer achieved, the photographer may become famous/make millions from this series of pictures, but what does that have to do with the message the photographer brought?
    yes, i think it should win because of the message, and those views frankly do not hold - more is made out of tragedy than a single photograph, be it war, financial crisis.. one would better off witch hunting there, if one wants to be a witch hunter, instead of photography

    maybe this sounds weird but i find myself wondering what she looks like now - i would certainly like to know especially since she's overcome her anorexia - she does have very nice features

    perhaps jealousy.. is a factor, i have seen entire threads ranting about the results, about how the winners don't deserve to win, etc.. i think it is ludicrous.. i have seen most of the shots and they are something to be envious of.

    anyways i'm actually wondering why this one , such a common view seen everywhere, i am sick of it popping up in flickr, and all over the place.. but maybe the layering of no people, people, no people, people gives it some additional merit over the common crop presented who knows
    Last edited by night86mare; 11th March 2008 at 07:43 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    anyways i'm actually wondering why this one , such a common view seen everywhere, i am sick of it popping up in flickr, and all over the place.. but maybe the layering of no people, people, no people, people gives it some additional merit over the common crop presented who knows
    most ''Architecture Photographs,'' or so they may be called, are still judged primary on basic components such as lines, composition etc. good Architectural shots are not easy to come by, and they illustrate more than just abstract lines and shapes. the perspective for this picture might be a common one, but it does show a good degree of spatial quality. maybe that's why it didn't clinch a better prize, because it's quite common a view. but it might be the best amongst the common.

    30 years ago, you show someone a decent shot of sunrise over Angkor Wat, you'll probably receive a good amount of praises. now you show someone the same thing you'll probably be commended for a good effort

  16. #16

    Default Re: digital camera photographer of the year 2007 overall winner

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    most ''Architecture Photographs,'' or so they may be called, are still judged primary on basic components such as lines, composition etc. good Architectural shots are not easy to come by, and they illustrate more than just abstract lines and shapes. the perspective for this picture might be a common one, but it does show a good degree of spatial quality. maybe that's why it didn't clinch a better prize, because it's quite common a view. but it might be the best amongst the common.

    30 years ago, you show someone a decent shot of sunrise over Angkor Wat, you'll probably receive a good amount of praises. now you show someone the same thing you'll probably be commended for a good effort
    that's very true. once one photograph becomes famous or popular sooner or later everyone will emulate it, then it just becomes "another clone" with different light and conditions. which is quite sad.. especially if say, you never even saw the original before and somehow, by a massive stroke of luck managed to see the same thing

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •