Thread: Silhouette and Shadows

Default Silhouette and Shadows

Hope you could comment on the picture. I just took a snapshot of this lady sitting outside the office building I work. I made it black and white since the picture represents of light and shadow. Any comments on the composition?

Default Re: Silhouette and Shadows

maybe because it is b+w, i dont like the flare from the cars and in between the trees.
    Btw did u use a polariser?

So the fountain, the tree/shadow or the woman is the subject?
    Last edited by sin77; 8th March 2008 at 07:19 AM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Is it the Gateway? Before we comment, can you tell us what you want to achieve in this picture?
    EOS 40D | 17-40 F/4L USM

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyW View Post
    Is it the Gateway? Before we comment, can you tell us what you want to achieve in this picture?
    actually many times, a pic doesnt (need to) achieve anything. a pic of a tree can be jus tat of the tree. wat it actually achieve or represent is up to everyone and anyone to interprete.

back to this pic, the mood is there, moody.

but its also quite messy.

the lone figure is insignificant. cover it w your finger, the pic can actually do w/o it.

if the figure is the focus, placing it right in the middle doesnt help. the fountain, placed at the third is, in fact, more eye catching.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    actually many times, a pic doesnt (need to) achieve anything. a pic of a tree can be jus tat of the tree. wat it actually achieve or represent is up to everyone and anyone to interprete.

back to this pic, the mood is there, moody.

but its also quite messy.

the lone figure is insignificant. cover it w your finger, the pic can actually do w/o it.

if the figure is the focus, placing it right in the middle doesnt help. the fountain, placed at the third is, in fact, more eye catching.
    I believe as a photographer, we need to have the skill to interpret a picture. The title represents what needs to be achieved, no offense on this ..yet I do agree that a picture doesn't need to achieve anything for we need to interpret the story or message of the photo.

I knew the mood of the picture was there when I took the shot, but it's not that striking to ones eye what the picture conveys..which why i posted this picture for comments and inputs.

Either I could crop out the fountain and leave the tree and the lady in the picture or by the gentleman's suggestion to move the fountain on the third.

Hope to get some more comments and inputs...I'll be waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by dccruzjr View Post
    I believe as a photographer, we need to have the skill to interpret a picture. The title represents what needs to be achieved, no offense on this ..yet I do agree that a picture doesn't need to achieve anything for we need to interpret the story or message of the photo.

I knew the mood of the picture was there when I took the shot, but it's not that striking to ones eye what the picture conveys..which why i posted this picture for comments and inputs.

Either I could crop out the fountain and leave the tree and the lady in the picture or by the gentleman's suggestion to move the fountain on the third.

Hope to get some more comments and inputs...I'll be waiting...
    Personally, I prefer a zoom in to show more of the lady.....no offence, I did some cropping to your original pic, if not appropriate I can remove. Not a guru in post process, just like to learn more and improve through discussions

Last edited by babababa; 9th March 2008 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babababa View Post
    Personally, I prefer a zoom in to show more of the lady.....no offence, I did some cropping to your original pic, if not appropriate I can remove. Not a guru in post process, just like to learn more and improve through discussions

afraid that this cropping does not add to picture, but takes away from it - first off, there is no real requirement to see the details of the lady in shadow already - she is so small!

this is not a bad picture, the framing is pretty decent. i see an idea of shadow play here, the directional lighting allows it such that the lady's shadow, and the tree's looming shadow are pointing in different directions, i wonder if anyone else notices this.

for a snapshot, the composition is pretty sound

some lifting of the shadows and vignetting might help to convey the idea better, do note that the picture probably does not look any different though after editing so you could probably leave it as it is.

this photo is probably better as part of a series than in itself, maybe the ts could try conceptualising such street scenes, with strong play in shadows, and i'm sure this would make a strong addition

All the important points in a picture, light & shadow, 1/3 rule, leading lines, in a nice square format. Use of space is also an important element when composing mood. Use shadows to illustrate the tree, for the sky is really bland and uninteresting.

I'll delete the photo from gallery in a few days, hopefully I remember.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 9th March 2008 at 12:27 AM.

Sorry guys, quite new to be a photographer. Still learning alot from you guys. Thus I hang around here quite often. Basically I think it is a nice picture in my humble opinion. Of all images cropped, I still think the original has the most taste in it. Not an expert in commenting on the contrast etc. But I feel moody from this picture. I guess you have done a good job here. Keep shooting!
    EOS 40D | 17-40 F/4L USM

Irregardless in whatever fix we want to do to the shot to make it look better, it would still boil down to one thing.

There isn't a subject and everything is way too cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post

All the important points in a picture, light & shadow, 1/3 rule, leading lines, in a nice square format. Use of space is also an important element when composing mood. Use shadows to illustrate the tree, for the sky is really bland and uninteresting.

I'll delete the photo from gallery in a few days, hopefully I remember.
    The Shadow of tree + the people + the water fountain.
    You got what I want to say too. All the important thing that I want to see is here in this cropping.

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    Irregardless in whatever fix we want to do to the shot to make it look better, it would still boil down to one thing.

There isn't a subject and everything is way too cluttered.
    The title of the photo speaks for itself as the subject. As a photographer IMHO, we need to train our eyes to see a photo in a different way. The rule of thirds has been applied as per comment "The Shadow of tree + the people + the water fountain.
    You got what I want to say too. All the important thing that I want to see is here in this cropping."
    ..take note the rule of thirds is not really a rule in photography but rather guidelines for us to follow, yet this helps us compose better pictures.

For example you have a photo in your collection or it could be any photo. At first glance if you see a photo it looks crap but you if you try to take a look again and see a different perspective on that photo, you might encounter that there's a message or a story to say..

Nice observation as per one of the comments " i see an idea of shadow play here, the directional lighting allows it such that the lady's shadow, and the tree's looming shadow are pointing in different directions, i wonder if anyone else notices this." This is one way of taking a look on a picture in a different way.

Again, all comments are appreciated for this is a very good forum for learning and improvement. Keep it coming..your expert opinion matters...

[QUOTE=dccruzjr;3836654]The title of the photo speaks for itself as the subject. As a photographer IMHO, we need to train our eyes to see a photo in a different way. The rule of thirds has been applied as per comment [COLOR="Blue"][I]"The Shadow of tree + the people + the water fountain.
    QUOTE]

I think you got it wrong. This is "rule of triangle". Not very sure this is the name but is something about three point in a traingle. cheer
    No offend, Just think that this is what I will do if I am to crop it.
    Overall the picture look nice.

no worries...rule of third or triangle, as long we are guided with the basic compositional practice in taking pictures would be good enough.

keep those comments coming...inputs are highly appreciated...