Thread: Whats the lifespan of a DC?

Default Whats the lifespan of a DC?

Does it mean once a newer model is out the old DC is outdated?
    At least with the normal film cameras, it does not matter if the camera is 5 or 10 years old.

Reason i am asking is because i am planning to get one and i am brain washing myself to spend the money.
    Trying to calculate the ROI.

I have thought of getting a pretty decent model to last at least 2-3 years.
    Do you think thats a reasonable time frame?

that depends on ur need and of course ur budget lor......
    i think canon g2 or powershot s40 not bad........
    if u want good zoom then get the olympus c700/2100 or canon pro90IS.....but they are ex........

Originally posted by baiyun
    that depends on ur need and of course ur budget lor......
    i think canon g2 or powershot s40 not bad........
    if u want good zoom then get the olympus c700/2100 or canon pro90IS.....but they are ex........
    Budget is not too much of a problem.
    Needs will be to use it when travelling, taking family gathering photos and misc.

G2 and S40 looks good but i would prefer something that conforms to the shape of my hand

I have the Sony F707, the dimage 5 or 7 series in mind.

When a new digicam comes out, it does not mean that the old one is obsolete and unuseable. I have the Coolpix 950, that's 3 generations old already, it still takes great pictures. And some pros are still using the original D1, though there's the D1X and D1H.

It all depends on what your needs are, whether you need the new features, higher resolution, etc or not. Most of the time, people are just upgrading coz it's something new.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    When a new digicam comes out, it does not mean that the old one is obsolete and unuseable. I have the Coolpix 950, that's 3 generations old already, it still takes great pictures. And some pros are still using the original D1, though there's the D1X and D1H.

It all depends on what your needs are, whether you need the new features, higher resolution, etc or not. Most of the time, people are just upgrading coz it's something new.

Regards
    CK
    Actually, I beg to differ.

Recently, we're seeing many jump the bandwagon into D-SLRs. Furthermore, there's quite a few techs announced like the Foevon and the full frame sensors, etc etc.

Evolutionary technology changes, ie. Canon G1 to G2 or Dimage 7 to Dimage7i, won't do much to prices as compared to revolutionary technology changes, ie. introduction of Sigma SD9, new 6Mpixel models, etc etc.

The product cycles of DCs are getting shorter and shorter as competition revs up.

But then again... do you need all thse "new tech" if not, a DC can well last many years.

as long as the electronics can last u and u can afford the price for repair...

Originally posted by Flare
    But then again... do you need all thse "new tech" if not, a DC can well last many years.
    Thats exactly what i thought as well.