Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cafe for photographers

I'm thinking the Substation would be an example of a good locale. You have your gallery area and your cafe outside. Of course this prime spot would entail some serious moolah.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by RuthBaby
    i be yr chef!
    Bake silver.wolf's favorite Oreo cheesecake yah?

will be looking at a couple of units.

will update.

how about somewhere around Riverwalk Galleria?

you could have a small section set aside with backdrops for a monthly studio photo shoot? could have open workshops or invite guest speakers to do some demos. Could be a product launch pad as well.

Originally posted by muffy
    will be looking at a couple of units.

will update.

I think a good place will be somewhere near stamford court, it's near to the Singapore Photography Triangle, It's near to Sim Lim, It's near the current National Library and the New and upcoming National Library + SMU, near various museams ........

It's rent should be a lot lower then Peninsula Plaza as it is not much of a "Prime" area ......

Know this place where the "hardware" school closed? That would be one good spot......

Will love to include a map if possible but here is the http address

http://www.streetdirectory.com:8080/...ORD%20COURT%20(178892)
    Last edited by blurblock; 7th June 2003 at 08:43 PM.

I think u should get a few clubsnap members to invest in it instead if you want to make it. Getting CP or other commerical company to invest in it is a good idea, but it will soon be too commericalised and most members will lose interest in it. That is assuming CP and other commerical companies are even interested in it.

Single investment is quite a heavy burden, spread investment as a private limited company by clubsnap members is a better choice, the libilities will be limited too. Since everyone know we are interested in photography. Clubsnap has a good spread of members age group and there are amatuer and Professionals alike, idea exchange will be simpier. Members can bring in likeminded people to join the club

A Partnership can be set up if libilities is not much of a concern .

An example : if one member can contribute say 10k, a 10 members company will have a investment captial of 100k , more can be done with bigger sum of money .

Originally posted by blurblock

An example : if one member can contribute say 10k, a 10 members company will have a investment captial of 100k , more can be done with bigger sum of money .
    Not a good idea...10 members company...10 different ideas....10 different management styles...later 10 members will become 10 enemies.

Mark my words...been there before...only one partner...lots of problems.Get 10 X 10......

to make sure the business is successful, cafe must employ photogenic waitresses (like those Fuji's shows). Clubsnappers will surely go there every evening and kao kwan the kopi, expecially so if cafe can afford to employ beauties like RuthBaby, luvr, etc... Maybe Ruth should also be a partner?

Originally posted by singaren
    to make sure the business is successful, cafe must employ photogenic waitresses (like those Fuji's shows). Clubsnappers will surely go there every evening and kao kwan the kopi, expecially so if cafe can afford to employ beauties like RuthBaby, luvr, etc... Maybe Ruth should also be a partner?

Originally posted by jamesong
    Not a good idea...10 members company...10 different ideas....10 different management styles...later 10 members will become 10 enemies.

Mark my words...been there before...only one partner...lots of problems.Get 10 X 10......
    No one say it would be 10 manager ... too many cooks spoil the soup, ask laopo if you don't believe, she makes good soup too .

In a partnership, it is often the case there will be at max three - five senior management partners, it's more or less in odd numbers, and the rest of the partners are acting like "shareholders" where they will not be in direct control of the company.

The management partners will decides on the managment problem and odd numbers give it a majority vote. If it cannot be solve, the rest of the partners will be called in to discuss the issue.

Problem with 2 persons (Notice I did not use the word people, as it is classified as two individual person) partnership is equility in shares thus there will definately be a conflict unless 1 is a sleeping partner.

However, both Sole propertitor and Partnership has it's greatest disadvantages.

Problem with sole properitorship is unlimited libilities. When the company cannot hold on, the sole owner will have to settle all the debts, even to the extent of being a bankrupt. All his personal possessions can be possessed by the debtor to be auction off to repay his debts..... excluding HDB Flat and CPF owned. Basically, you never really possess the HDB flat, you just "lease" it from HDB, and CPF is officially the government possession until they decided you can withdraw it at age 65 or when you renounce your citizenship.

Same problem lies with partnership, unlimited libilites. All partners will have the exact problem with sole properitor.

However, the advantage of sole properitor and partnership is lower taxes, you pay only personnal tax (I think is on a sliding scale of your earning, but on the higher earning side, it is nearly the tax payout for company tax) rather then company's tax, which stands currently at 33.3 per cent of gross profit. You will have greater autonomy too, thus having greater flexibity.

However, things will be different if it is registered under the theme of "Private Limited" company, where there is a fixed pay up captial. Say a pay up captial of 10k, and the maximum payout will be 10k and you may close the company. Unless, of course, if the company director(s) himself put on a personal guarantee on loans on behalf of the company, he will be personally liable for the loans and not under the company's pay up captial. The debtor will be able to repossess the item that is on loan by the director but not the company itself, as basically, it is two different entities.

The company will have lesser autonomy, meaning lesser chance of mistake as every decision made will be more open, a shareholders report will be required every year (directors' pay out, salary, depreciation... etc etc ). Currently, the government do not require audited accounts for company with less then gross sales of a million (I think, got to check out with lawyers). If the management is open enough, the shareholders can chip in for ideas as well.

There are still more advantages to private limited companies . Don't think have enough space to write
    Last edited by blurblock; 7th June 2003 at 08:54 PM.

Originally posted by cyrilng
    how about somewhere around Riverwalk Galleria?
    Overly remote, not much human traffic, no people to enjoy to photos

Originally posted by jOhO
    at peninsula plaza?
    Nice place, but too bad, there is a few cafes behind and around Peninsula plaza, two food court, in the near vincinity. Too many direct competitor, worse still, you have the talking bread just a few blocks away .

Originally posted by RuthBaby
    i be yr chef!
    I was going to suggest that, since BS is raving all over about your cheesecake and what-else-your-hands-can-make..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12