Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [News] 43-year-old Chinese man shot by police at Outram Park MRT

Default Re: [News] 43-year-old Chinese man shot by police at Outram Park MRT

They should quickly implement that each police holds a X26 stun gun. Shooting in public is something so rare. Can't imagine if kids see it or something.

I wonder whether the police officers also carry the Taser X26 stun guns when they were hunting for the suspect.

Previously, a Singapore Police Force (SPF) spokesperson said :
    "In general, actions taken by police officers are calibrated to be proportional to the threat posed by subjects.
    "We do accept that stun guns carry an inherent risk of injury. Ultimately, the Police's aim is to allow officers to resolve a dangerous situation with minimal injury to the subject, the public and the officers themselves."
    "No serious injuries or deaths linked to its use have been reported here, said the police spokesperson. A check with two public hospitals here revealed that no one has been admitted for injuries related to shocks from stun guns."

Commander of the Central Police Division, Superintendent Lau Peet Meng said: "The armed and dangerous suspect approached my officers in a threatening manner at close proximity. In the circumstances, considering that he was suspected to have just killed another man, the officer had no choice but to open fire."

Quote Originally Posted by dark72 View Post
    They should quickly implement that each police holds a X26 stun gun. Shooting in public is something so rare. Can't imagine if kids see it or something.
    But kids are already watching Rambo 4, tons more shooting in there.

Maybe it's good to inject some reality.

I rather run away and let that fella chase me.... unless I'm really trapped at the corner... then the martial art / unarm combat might take the chance... sure get a few slash and cuts.... do you know... it take about two to more person to restraint an aggressive subject... furthermore the officers sure get a some punches and kicks from the subject....

we never know if that person are well verse with knife techniques... there's some kind of art with knife where the person know where's the vital point to poke or slash to drain lot of blood so that he can weaken his opponent and kill that person faster....
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

Haha I highly doubt it's easy to fend off a knife. Unless you have been practising martial arts everyday. I practised aikido before, and you have to make the move before your attacker comes or its too late. Besides, police man don't often get to engage in such cases everyday. They sit down in the police car use laptop and patrol around. ^_^

The officer did the right thing. Shoot to eliminate the threat for the safety of everyone else.

IIRC, there was another student within 3m of the murderer ... how many chances are the policemen allowed to take ...

if there was another case of escape or worse, more deaths, the very same guys who are now slamming the policemen for shooting would jolly now be slamming them for doing nothing w a sidearm ...

comeon guys, give them the benefit of the doubt ... there are times we are not there to assess the situation and worse, it was happening to someone else ... under pressure and personal safety, not forgetting the safety of the public, the policemen did wat they deemed best under the situation ...

shooting legs and hands are tricky under the best of circumstances, if you cannot disable w one shot, there are no second chances when the guy is only 3m away ...

anyway a stungun fired at a target 3m away may well be useless ... the momentum of the guy could carry him another 3 steps before he falls facedown toward you ...

next time, the recommendation is baton and shield since it gives them more option ... 10 yrs later, policemen are so laden w stuff that they cannot even catch a thief ...

a gun and a baton is more than enough lar ...

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Really?! The last shooting was 10 years ago?

Anyway, I'm just curious. What sort of martial arts training does our typical policeman in the street receive? Must they at least get a black belt in tae kwan do or gone thru some aikido training?

I was wondering... since the guy was using a dagger, not a firearm itself, could the policeman have disarmed him using martial arts? (I know aikido has lots of such moves!) Of course, that's provided they are trained well in it.

The policeman's life is at stake and important of course so shooting the attacker is the fastest move to finish him off. But it's also a drastic one certainly. Better to take no chances?
    Interesting.

How about YOU be the policeman, know that chap murdered someone else earlier, is armed with a 15cm knife, charged straight at you and the distance is apprx 3m (or lower).

What would YOU DO? Now don't think. Just give me the answer immediately.

P/S: Talking about disarming is always easy. Just like how we all watch Hollywood. But if one were to even practice the move itself, one would start to curse and swear since its a lot more difficult than what they see.

Haha I highly doubt it's easy to fend off a knife. Unless you have been practising martial arts everyday. I practised aikido before, and you have to make the move before your attacker comes or its too late. Besides, police man don't often get to engage in such cases everyday. They sit down in the police car use laptop and patrol around. ^_^
    The funniest part about learning martial arts is that once u'd obtained your Black Belt or even Shodan, ppl will think that u're some kind of superman without realising that taking a Black Belt is merely the beginning of one's journey and not the end.

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    But kids are already watching Rambo 4, tons more shooting in there.

Maybe it's good to inject some reality.
    Unfortunately, even adults get suckered into the illusion.

back in the days when i teach tkd and self defences, i always tell my students.
    no necessity dun fight, even if u have to, always try walking away first.

being trained in self defence doesn't mean u can disarm and defend effectively
    besides, there are too many other factors in play, one of which unfortunately is luck.

the choice to shoot is a logical and instinct one.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Interesting.

How about YOU be the policeman, know that chap murdered someone else earlier, is armed with a 15cm knife, charged straight at you and the distance is apprx 3m (or lower).

What would YOU DO? Now don't think. Just give me the answer immediately.

P/S: Talking about disarming is always easy. Just like how we all watch Hollywood. But if one were to even practice the move itself, one would start to curse and swear since its a lot more difficult than what they see.
    bro, dun force him lar ... if he were there, probably dead 10 times over liao ... how to answer you?

Quote Originally Posted by tribal.snake View Post
    back in the days when i teach tkd and self defences, i always tell my students.
    no necessity dun fight, even if u have to, always try walking away first.

being trained in self defence doesn't mean u can disarm and defend effectively
    besides, there are too many other factors in play, one of which unfortunately is luck.

the choice to shoot is a logical and instinct one.
    how come all the Masters say the same thing? Mine said same thing also ... u all got a guide book and ISOs to follow is it?

jus kidding ... guess that its those who dunno martial arts think tt it can work wonders in all circumstances ...

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    I vaguely remember a multiple shot incident not too long ago.
    the guy tat time didn't die i think. 2002 right?

by right, he should shoot him in the leg first lah..

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    how come all the Masters say the same thing? Mine said same thing also ... u all got a guide book and ISOs to follow is it?

jus kidding ... guess that its those who dunno martial arts think tt it can work wonders in all circumstances ...
    play too much street fighter last time. thought can do hadouken.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    by right, he should shoot him in the leg first lah..
    he probably could have if he using the 1d mk iii but maybe will be oof though.

now that we have heard the official public word, i wonder if internally they will conduct a BOI to determine if the officer could have handled the situation better.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Really?! The last shooting was 10 years ago?

Anyway, I'm just curious. What sort of martial arts training does our typical policeman in the street receive? Must they at least get a black belt in tae kwan do or gone thru some aikido training?

I was wondering... since the guy was using a dagger, not a firearm itself, could the policeman have disarmed him using martial arts? (I know aikido has lots of such moves!) Of course, that's provided they are trained well in it.

The policeman's life is at stake and important of course so shooting the attacker is the fastest move to finish him off. But it's also a drastic one certainly. Better to take no chances?
    martial arts or not this is real life if the shooting's justified self defense then i think the cop didn't do the wrong thing. easy to judge people when you weren't in the line of fire so to speak. If someone came barrelling down on you with a knife what would you do in real life?
    Last edited by garou12; 7th March 2008 at 01:49 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast