Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Fuji film vs Kodak lab

  1. #1

    Default Fuji film vs Kodak lab

    Hi there...
    i was told there should be no much problem for developing a fuji negative, and proccess the negatives to print in an Kodak shop....however, recently i encountered color-wash-out prints from my fav Kodak express shop while developed my Fuji NPH 400 film....reason told was :'no channel for this film" .

    this was't my first time developed fuji negative in this shop and was quite sastify with past result on my fuji superior and NPH print.....and they even said their machine did not change but advice me to buy Kodak film

    I believe the negative is OK as the color scanned on my film scanner look much better that the actual print w/o and adjustment.....this make me think twice of visiting the shop again..........anyone can reconmend a good Fujifilm shop ( i mean pro-sumer one, not those auntie kiosk) around in Tampines ? 'cos i still got lot's of NPH400 to process...else, will switch to Kodak Portral

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    It sounds like the operator of the printer didn't know which channel to use with NPH.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Fuji film vs Kodak lab

    Originally posted by spider
    Hi there...
    i was told there should be no much problem for developing a fuji negative, and proccess the negatives to print in an Kodak shop....however, recently i encountered color-wash-out prints from my fav Kodak express shop while developed my Fuji NPH 400 film....reason told was :'no channel for this film" .

    this was't my first time developed fuji negative in this shop and was quite sastify with past result on my fuji superior and NPH print.....and they even said their machine did not change but advice me to buy Kodak film

    I believe the negative is OK as the color scanned on my film scanner look much better that the actual print w/o and adjustment.....this make me think twice of visiting the shop again..........anyone can reconmend a good Fujifilm shop ( i mean pro-sumer one, not those auntie kiosk) around in Tampines ? 'cos i still got lot's of NPH400 to process...else, will switch to Kodak Portral

    thanks
    Why not spend a bit more and go to the pro labs in town? It's really worth the extra trouble and money. I've long given up on the neighbourhood labs already. But if you insist, there's this Frontier Lab in Tampines called Sincere or something, you might want to look them up. I have no experience with them though. IMO, NPH 400 is better in terms of colour and grain than Portra 400. Don't switch film just because your chosen lab can't handle it well, switch labs instead.

    Regards
    CK

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default

    i wonder ...can i develop a roll of NCP160 at a normal lab??
    cos i believe they only do ISO 100,200,400,800

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fuji film vs Kodak lab

    Originally posted by spider

    this was't my first time developed fuji negative in this shop and was quite sastify with past result on my fuji superior and NPH print.....and they even said their machine did not change but advice me to buy Kodak film
    The operator doesn't know what he/she's doing or probably messing it up. They probably make more money on Kodak film, so they tell you to buy Kodak film. I believe Kodak made a heck of a lot of money last year selling junk like Max 400 and Max 800.

    Reminds me of those stupid Kodak ads:

    1. One pic shot on 200 speed film, the other on 400 speed film (I think Max 400). The one from 200 speed film is dark and dull, and the other is nice, bright and colourful. The reason they give? 200 speed film is too slow so it is underexposed. This is the most brain dead explanation I've seen, and coming from a company like Kodak. Don't they realise that the camera's AE meter would know how to meter for different film speeds?

    2. Comparison of Kodak vs some other film (I think on outdoor photographer magazine). Kodak film is shown producing nice vivid pics, the "other" film is shown producing muddy dull prints. They think all consumers are utter morons .

    Sorry for rambling, but try some of the pro labs. I usually only get an index print made from my local lab when they develop, and get the final prints made at one of the pro labs in City Hall (FotoElite, etc). Believe me, it's well worth it.

  6. #6

    Default

    thanks guys....
    the owner of that kodak express use to be a experience photographer, that's one reason i patronised the shop....i used to develop NCP160 and he complaint but manage to adjust the channel and the result is quite good....however, this chap not always at the shop, when sway sway only auntie at the shop...i have to try my luck lor...

    it's kind of not convenient for me to develop in town 'cos i work in east side....perhaps will try out that frontier shop...any idea which side of tampines ? thanks.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    I was one of those who were swayed by Koday to buy Max 400 film.... had used quite a number of rows and didn't get good results. thought it was due to the camera.... sigh....
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by nicholas1986
    i wonder ...can i develop a roll of NCP160 at a normal lab??
    cos i believe they only do ISO 100,200,400,800
    You can, but results will not be spectacular. IT doesn't matter what ISO the film is at, the chemistry is the same. Processing times may differ, that's all.

    Regards
    CK

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by spider
    thanks guys....
    the owner of that kodak express use to be a experience photographer, that's one reason i patronised the shop....i used to develop NCP160 and he complaint but manage to adjust the channel and the result is quite good....however, this chap not always at the shop, when sway sway only auntie at the shop...i have to try my luck lor...

    it's kind of not convenient for me to develop in town 'cos i work in east side....perhaps will try out that frontier shop...any idea which side of tampines ? thanks.
    Somewhere in street 20 something. I never go to that lab before, so I don't know the exact location. Check the yellow pages.

    Regards
    CK

  10. #10

    Default

    Ok...i think i'll do this way on my next roll:
    1) develop the film at the normal auntie Fuji kiosk (i wonder does it matters ? or can i just develop film in any shop regardless of Kodak / fuji ?)

    2) scan thru the negatives with my scanner and select those i want to print

    3) process my prints at ColorLabs or those shop CK recomemded....

    i think developing of film should not be affected by the machine right ?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by spider
    Ok...i think i'll do this way on my next roll:
    1) develop the film at the normal auntie Fuji kiosk (i wonder does it matters ? or can i just develop film in any shop regardless of Kodak / fuji ?)

    2) scan thru the negatives with my scanner and select those i want to print

    3) process my prints at ColorLabs or those shop CK recomemded....

    i think developing of film should not be affected by the machine right ?
    It should not be, but be careful of scratches, and bad chemicals that might cause bad things like streaking, unevenness, etc.

    Regards
    CK

  12. #12

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    It should not be, but be careful of scratches, and bad chemicals that might cause bad things like streaking, unevenness, etc.

    Regards
    CK

    ya...so i always try to avoid those shop look like ten years no one patronise...chemical recycle dun know how many times....but they always charge film developing cheaper leh S$3...and Kodak express charge s$4

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by spider



    ya...so i always try to avoid those shop look like ten years no one patronise...chemical recycle dun know how many times....but they always charge film developing cheaper leh S$3...and Kodak express charge s$4
    S$4 might as well go Colour Lab and the others liao. I stay in Tampines but take the trouble to send all my film to Colour Lab. No choice.

    Regards
    CK

  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    S$4 might as well go Colour Lab and the others liao. I stay in Tampines but take the trouble to send all my film to Colour Lab. No choice.

    Regards
    CK
    Hi, just done 2 rolls of Reala and 2 rolls of NPH400....so what time this this pro-shop operate during weekdays ? and how long do they proccess ? 1 day ?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by spider


    Hi, just done 2 rolls of Reala and 2 rolls of NPH400....so what time this this pro-shop operate during weekdays ? and how long do they proccess ? 1 day ?
    1-2 days. They open 10am - 7:30pm weekdays, 10am - 4:30pm on Saturdays, closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.

    Regards
    CK

  16. #16

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    1-2 days. They open 10am - 7:30pm weekdays, 10am - 4:30pm on Saturdays, closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.

    Regards
    CK
    thanks Ckiang ! just got back my 4 rolls from Konota....NO HORSE RUN ! should have develop my film from this shop long ago.....somemore cheaper then my neighbourhood kodak express : film develop: $3.50, 4R paper with white border: S$0.35.....though no very happy with my photo technique, but the proccesing is very good. Worth my 1/2hrs trip....

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by spider


    thanks Ckiang ! just got back my 4 rolls from Konota....NO HORSE RUN ! should have develop my film from this shop long ago.....somemore cheaper then my neighbourhood kodak express : film develop: $3.50, 4R paper with white border: S$0.35.....though no very happy with my photo technique, but the proccesing is very good. Worth my 1/2hrs trip....
    I told you. I realized this quite some time back, and now I make that 1/2 trip everytime. So happens that my train journey back home needs to pass by that area, so not that bad.

    It's really worth the trouble going to a good lab.

    Regards
    CK

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •