Thread: i am a extreme newbie, seeking for help

Talking i am a extreme newbie, seeking for help

im starting this photography thing from the beginning... due to the reason i am still a student of secondary school, so i am only able to afford low-price camera.
    i have studied digital SLR for a few weeks. according to what i learn and recommend from my senior, i think canon 400D or nikon D40x might be suitable for me... can anyone give me more suggestion or help me to make my decision.

Default Re: i am a extreme newbie, seeking for help

so my question is, do you know why canon 400d? do you know why nikon d40x?

if you have indeed studied, you would know a bit of why.. if you don't, then it means you are listening blindly to senior recommendation too much

yea yea...you need to know why!

this forum has many thread on newbies looking for first dslr etc.
    all else fails, google also has many discussions on recommendations.

for starters, try www.dpreview.com

the best decision is an informed decision.
    flickr me here ;)

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so my question is, do you know why canon 400d? do you know why nikon d40x?

if you have indeed studied, you would know a bit of why.. if you don't, then it means you are listening blindly to senior recommendation too much
    not very sure whats the difference between them. but i dun think i can afford more than that

Quote Originally Posted by dreamzcape View Post
    yea yea...you need to know why!

this forum has many thread on newbies looking for first dslr etc.
    all else fails, google also has many discussions on recommendations.

for starters, try www.dpreview.com

the best decision is an informed decision.
    thx alot. i will go and check on the sites`

Quote Originally Posted by pidian View Post
    not very sure whats the difference between them. but i dun think i can afford more than that
    if price is your constraint,

did you know that k100d and k10d from pentax is cheaper and offer a lot more features? of course there will be cons too. i'm not pushing my brand, just thought i'd mention it.

no offense meant, but not sure if you have been really trying to find out.. go to dpreview and imaging resource (google for those sites) and read up on the individual reviews of the cameras which may make your list - entry level dslrs include olympus e410, pentax k100d, k10d is not entry level but meets the price, sony alpha 200, canon 400d, nikon d40,d40x. this will give you a better idea of what to expect. then go down to shops to get a feel of the camera, they will entertain you, especially john 3:16.

every man has his own camera.. getting others to tell you what it should be is generally the worst thing to do, in my opinion.. and in photography, learning how to be resourceful is quite important, i think you'll find that in many cases, others' opinions do not really count due to inherent biasness.

if price is your constraint,

did you know that k100d and k10d from pentax is cheaper and offer a lot more features? of course there will be cons too. i'm not pushing my brand, just thought i'd mention it.

no offense meant, but not sure if you have been really trying to find out.. go to dpreview and imaging resource (google for those sites) and read up on the individual reviews of the cameras which may make your list - entry level dslrs include olympus e410, pentax k100d, k10d is not entry level but meets the price, sony alpha 200, canon 400d, nikon d40,d40x. this will give you a better idea of what to expect. then go down to shops to get a feel of the camera, they will entertain you, especially john 3:16.

every man has his own camera.. getting others to tell you what it should be is generally the worst thing to do, in my opinion.. and in photography, learning how to be resourceful is quite important, i think you'll find that in many cases, others' opinions do not really count due to inherent biasness.
    thank you so much~! i did not know there is so many modes i can choose from~~~!!!
    thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget the Marketplace section here. Great deals on second-hand cameras like the A100 (one of the best entry-level cameras in 2007), D40X, 350D/400D, etc etc etc
    Alpha

after u finally buy your camera, pls stop looking at new equipment or ask around which is better than which .

focus your effort on SHOOTING. tats the reason why u get a camera in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    And don't forget the Marketplace section here. Great deals on second-hand cameras like the A100 (one of the best entry-level cameras in 2007), D40X, 350D/400D, etc etc etc
    thx alot on ur reminding~!

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    after u finally buy your camera, pls stop looking at new equipment or ask around which is better than which .

focus your effort on SHOOTING. tats the reason why u get a camera in the first place.
    thx... i will~!

learn the basics, dont bother with buying cameras first!

i mean, if you read abit, then run out and buy a D40X or 400d(both of which are very capable bodies indeed IMO for their price and size) but then cant shoot with it......

prosumers, although some might recommend you to jump straight to SLRs.

a prosumer is good because:

long range(most have MORE than 10 times zoom)
    manual controls to learn from
    liveview(which helps framing i believe)
    a very good feel, similar to alot of DSLRs(check out the S100FS, 1 kilo, HUGE prosumer)
    cheaper, less things to buy, less hassle to maintain(dust and whatnot)

on this sub-forum, check out nightmare's sticky above, gave me alot of help(thanks nightmare!)

enjoy the equipment, enjoy the shooting more

Quote Originally Posted by pidian View Post
    thx alot on ur reminding~!
    sorry for not replying your pm

but you should learn how to find out prices yourself if you want to take up this hobby, call up all the popular shops that are listed in clubsnap, ask for quotes, that will give you a rough idea of what the pricing is like and you can get the best deal available to you.

I agree with mrhobbit...why not start off with a prosumer first...going to a SLR is not just buying the camera and thats it, a lot of things will follow after purchase..gotta buy cleaning stuff, drycab, good bags, strong tripods...and many more.
    You can upgrade yourself to a SLR when you truly appreciate and engrossed yourself into the world of photography..
    I suggest getting a prosumer first and see if you really really like photography..so even if you found out that photography is not really your game, you will not lose much $$$..
    Check out Sony or Fujifilm...they have some really good prosumers with SLR liked functions.
    40D|17-50mm f/2.8|50mm f/1.8|580ex MkII

sorry for not replying your pm

but you should learn how to find out prices yourself if you want to take up this hobby, call up all the popular shops that are listed in clubsnap, ask for quotes, that will give you a rough idea of what the pricing is like and you can get the best deal available to you.
    i get it! thx alot~! ^-*

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobbit View Post
    learn the basics, dont bother with buying cameras first!

i mean, if you read abit, then run out and buy a D40X or 400d(both of which are very capable bodies indeed IMO for their price and size) but then cant shoot with it......

prosumers, although some might recommend you to jump straight to SLRs.

a prosumer is good because:

long range(most have MORE than 10 times zoom)
    manual controls to learn from
    liveview(which helps framing i believe)
    a very good feel, similar to alot of DSLRs(check out the S100FS, 1 kilo, HUGE prosumer)
    cheaper, less things to buy, less hassle to maintain(dust and whatnot)

on this sub-forum, check out nightmare's sticky above, gave me alot of help(thanks nightmare!)

enjoy the equipment, enjoy the shooting more
    thx alot on ur comments too~! enjoy ur weekend

there is this new fuji new semi pro cam which you may like to consider, personally i tried it, pretty good. not sure the price. focal from 28mm-400mm marco as close as 1cm.

hope this help.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    there is this new fuji new semi pro cam which you may like to consider, personally i tried it, pretty good. not sure the price. focal from 28mm-400mm marco as close as 1cm.

hope this help.

the model is S100FS

cool camera

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...0fs/index.html
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Hope you've been to this thread posted by night86mare.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282608

I think its good pidian knows that as a beginner he should have a budget in mind. And price is a factor in his consideration at his age.

Cheers!