Thread: 500mm mirror lens

Default 500mm mirror lens

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting one 500mm mirror lens..can you share any experience of which model is recommend? i know the general cons of it, lack of sharpness and donut bokeh..but which model is better?

I saw a member here sharing the tamron 500mm which is quite good..and good review from internet.

and there are quite a lot of brand too..i list it down and you share your opinion if u have used it..thanks.

1. 500mm nikkor (said good, but price is more than average)
    2. 500mm tamron (generally good review..)
    3. 500mm Rubinar, russian made, mixed review..
    4. 500mm Soligor, japan made..some say good enough, some say crap, some say Soligor C/D better..i am not sure how many 500mm soligor got.
    5. Phoenix/Samyang.. most internet feedback is don't buy it!

any else i missed out?

Default Re: 500mm mirror lens

No other suggestion for your list, but want to add that the cons also included fixed, slow aperture (f/8 usually) as well as manual focus (except for one model by Sony I think).
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

u can check out the ebay kenko mirror lens, its faster than F/8.

Check out CS member V_one_R's shots, they are quite good...he is using one I think but not sure which brand. Maybe u could PM him and ask him.

Sony has the 500mm F8

welcome discussion, actually if on quality it is hardly to compete with a standard glass lense, but for 500mm it is the cheapest choice.. or u guys got other budget choice?

and it seems really compact too..

Here are some sample of my super under utilized 500mm Tamron mirror lens First shot was on tripod, second was handheld

Last edited by Big Kahuna; 7th March 2008 at 01:37 PM.

The Bokeh of the second pic looks damn weird. Is this inherent of all mirror lenses?
    I have GAS. Gear Acquistion Syndrom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    The Bokeh of the second pic looks damn weird. Is this inherent of all mirror lenses?
    Yes.. Because of the central obstruction from the secondary mirror in Maksutov-Cassegrain design of such lenses.

if you want the reach at a low price, I will suggest you getting a prosumer superzoom + a TC. Way better results from what i have seen.

a moon shot with sony h2 + 1.7x TC (734mm equivalent). Quite similar in focal length to the 500mm mirror lens, plus you get AF, VR & F3.7 aperture!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyk View Post
    if you want the reach at a low price, I will suggest you getting a prosumer superzoom + a TC. Way better results from what i have seen.

a moon shot with sony h2 + 1.7x TC (734mm equivalent). Quite similar in focal length to the 500mm mirror lens, plus you get AF, VR & F3.7 aperture!

Another alternative is digiscoping.