Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Is laminating a photo a good method to preserve...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default Is laminating a photo a good method to preserve...

    Just want to pick the brains of you guys or gals here.

    We all know printed photographs, both inkjets and emulsion printed, fade over time due to exposure to light and air.

    Does anyone have any information on whether laminating a photograph, with those ibico laminators, will help to eliminate the second factor, air contact, and thus help to preserve the dyes from shifting or fading?

    Also I have heard that certain synthetic materials have detrimental effect, ie, certain materials emit harmful gases which may actually cause the dyes to fade even faster. Does the material on laminating sheets have this harmful chemicals?

    Any comments, advice, appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    I am concerned with the high temperature the prrint has to go through during the laminating process.

    Also, the laminating material, while keeing the print from direct contact with the atmosphere, may contain chemicals that are more harmful to the print.

    I would prefer to either frame the prints for display or store them in clear folders.

    If there is a digital copy of the image, I would pay more attention on preserving the digital copy then the print itself, since I can always re-print when necessary, using the latest technology available.

    All in all I am personally not too concerned about the longevity of prints. If I print something in large format, I most likely do so to frame it for display. If I print in smaller format, I most likely do so for sharing with friends and relatives.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Thanks Roy,

    It's kind of late for you there in Seattle.

    For clear folders, are talking about those office type, or special ones designed to hold photographic materials?

    I know that preserving the image digitally is more important than transient chemical reproductions, I am already doing it. Just that when you spend a couple dollars printing some images, you want to preserve them the best you could.

    Off the thread, since you are so near to Mt Rainier, bet you got plenty of nice mountain shots in your library.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by Ansel
    Thanks Roy,

    It's kind of late for you there in Seattle.

    For clear folders, are talking about those office type, or special ones designed to hold photographic materials?

    I know that preserving the image digitally is more important than transient chemical reproductions, I am already doing it. Just that when you spend a couple dollars printing some images, you want to preserve them the best you could.

    Off the thread, since you are so near to Mt Rainier, bet you got plenty of nice mountain shots in your library.
    I was referring to the normal office type clear folders only, since longevity is not a really a big concern for me.

    Since this is your thread and you OT it to talk about Mt Rainier...

    The last time I've been there was last July. Summer is here already, and it's time to plan another trip.

    Some earlier shots here:
    http://www.pbase.com/roygoh/rainier

    And one of my favourites:


    - Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh
    I was referring to the normal office type clear folders only, since longevity is not a really a big concern for me.

    Since this is your thread and you OT it to talk about Mt Rainier...

    The last time I've been there was last July. Summer is here already, and it's time to plan another trip.

    Some earlier shots here:
    http://www.pbase.com/roygoh/rainier

    And one of my favourites:


    - Roy
    Yummy!!

  6. #6
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh
    I am concerned with the high temperature the prrint has to go through during the laminating process.

    Also, the laminating material, while keeing the print from direct contact with the atmosphere, may contain chemicals that are more harmful to the print.
    There are cold laminators available for prints/photos.

    Not sure, though, about chemical reaction.

    FWIW, I have printed numerous photos off my Epson 1270 and have not experienced fading as bad as those reported early. Those prints are still hanging off my office cubicle walls - need to caution that office environment is probably better controlled in terms of temperature and relatively lower humidity.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •