Thread: Schneider Digital+ filter

Default Schneider Digital+ filter

Just curious to find out why is there not much ppl using Schneider Digital+ filter for camera lens? I noticed mostly still prefer B+W brand. What is the different between these 2 brand? (they are from the same company) Thanks.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

Default Re: Schneider Digital+ filter

Marketing and/or brand awareness.

As you mentioned, not many are aware that both brands come from the same manufacturer, and that (in the past, now donch know) Schott glass was used.

I don't think I have seen Schneider Digital+ being marketed in Singapore. I bought all mine overseas.

It is correct that both Schneider Digital+ and B+W come from the same factory. In fact, B+W is a subsidiary of Schneider. Based on what I understand, the B+W filters are filters for use in both film and digital cameras while the Schneider Digital+ are specifically designed for use in digital cameras only taking into consideration the characteristics of the CCD and CMOS sensors.

BTW, the Schneider Digital+ filters cost a fraction more than the B+W ones.

Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post
    I don't think I have seen Schneider Digital+ being marketed in Singapore. I bought all mine overseas.

It is correct that both Schneider Digital+ and B+W come from the same factory. In fact, B+W is a subsidiary of Schneider. Based on what I understand, the B+W filters are filters for use in both film and digital cameras while the Schneider Digital+ are specifically designed for use in digital cameras only taking into consideration the characteristics of the CCD and CMOS sensors.

BTW, the Schneider Digital+ filters cost a fraction more than the B+W ones.

Have to agreed cos i bought mine overseas too. I paid for mine at price way lower than B+W in SG.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Marketing and/or brand awareness.

As you mentioned, not many are aware that both brands come from the same manufacturer, and that (in the past, now donch know) Schott glass was used.
    i think there is acquisition with the old brand name being retained. just like lenovo would not take off the IBM brand name.
    Last edited by zoossh; 7th March 2008 at 01:54 AM.

I think the price in Taiwan is quite cheap as compared to wat i paid for a B+W 77mm.
    Last edited by tc811; 26th March 2008 at 11:40 PM.

Quote from Schneider Optics

"Filters

Schneider Optics currently offers two different types of optical filters:

B+W Filters are the highest quality filters for still photography available on the market.

Schneider Filters for Motion Picture and Television (MPTV) applications are diamond cut from crystal clear, water-white optical glass ground and polished to a precise flatness and plane-parallelism."

Link

Maybe they are targeting a different population ? Of course it can be used on photography as well.

IIRC, B&W filters used to be relative unknown and unaccepted as compared to labels like Schneider and Rodenstock (for those involved with medium and large format), and also was priced cheaper than most brand name camera makers' filters like Canon and Nikon.

It was only fairly 'recently' that B&W gained such heights of popularity.

Marketing changes with the times.

Does anyone know if B&W filters are still samo quality across the board regardless of markets, and whether they are still made with Schott glass (apparently, biiig thing for quality this Schott glass manufacturer).