Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: SEED on 18 June 2003, Wednesday

Blog Entries

Quote by Darren from the other SEED thread
    Noted all the feedback on the newbies feeling a bit left out, unfortunately being in a public place means that we don't have leeway to setup a sort of registration table for newbies to sort of make themselves known.

We are not an un-friendly bunch, but sometimes, we tend to get caught up with discussions in groups, thus giving the impression of cliques.

I have noticed this myself, and also am partly to blame when getting too busy with coordinating the MOs, so have not been able to intro to newbies.

I guess there's no easy solution to this, other than newbies gathering enough nerve to be thickskin a bit and break thru the ice.

But hopefully, we can come up with some more appealing ways for newbies to integrate themselves. And note to newbies, after attending two SEEDs, consider lao jiao thus dehuis cannot say he newbie any more
    Anyone have any ideas how to make SEEDs less intimidating for newbies?

Blog Entries

Originally posted by matoriv
    u mean i can ask for some help in helping getting a digicam at CP there?? (ie perhaps some advice or bargaining help??)
    Yes, there are always ppl who can help you spend your money

Seriously, if you are contemplating buying something from the shops, most of us here are already known faces, thus can intro you to the salesppl. And most of the time, we can help to get better prices, although truth be told, most of the time, the pricing is already pretty good.

And to paraphrase the Oracle in Matrix Reloaded - "You know you want to buy it, you are here to seek the excuse to give your SO/wife/mother why you want to buy it."

Acronym helper: SO - significant other

let dehuis be the head of all the newbies!
    and he'll coordinate between them and the lao jiaos and introduce too!
    Originally posted by Darren
    Anyone have any ideas how to make SEEDs less intimidating for newbies?

Deregistered

1. Darren (another t-shirt collection - see thread in Consumers Corner)
    2. Dagger (bulk film distribution)
    3. Larry?
    4. Togu?
    5. espn (go there get free drink from Larry abt 7 will reach)

3. Larry?
    4. Togu?
    6. Wolfgang
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Deregistered

Originally posted by meng
    let dehuis be the head of all the newbies!
    and he'll coordinate between them and the lao jiaos and introduce too!
    Ok, all it takes is one person to be known at the SEED so that the newbies can look for and sit down to form a circle first, after they feel more comfortable they can bring gears and talk would that be a good idea?

Like we appoint for example, Larry, he'll wear the Ronald Macdonald clothes and sit there, so we announce to CS if newbies join look for Uncle Ronald, erm wait... Uncle Larry, and let him settle the newbies down.

I'm sure newbies want to meet certain CS people as well to ask about cameras and stuffs, maybe the designation person can even give a simple introduction on those heavy artillery terms like DOF, aperture etc. After feeling better knowing that CS people are nice, we can introduce them their peer users of the cameras and such, and voila! We've another circle

Then maybe some oldbies can join that table and chat away.

can i have some help choosing a flash for my cam?

i went for the orchid shoot, but felt weird cos i din know any1, and most used huge SLRs woah.... but it was ok to me hehe. mebe an effort to introduce the lao jiaos will help?

Originally posted by espn
    Ok, all it takes is one person to be known at the SEED so that the newbies can look for and sit down to form a circle first, after they feel more comfortable they can bring gears and talk would that be a good idea?

Like we appoint for example, Larry, he'll wear the Ronald Macdonald clothes and sit there, so we announce to CS if newbies join look for Uncle Ronald, erm wait... Uncle Larry, and let him settle the newbies down.

I'm sure newbies want to meet certain CS people as well to ask about cameras and stuffs, maybe the designation person can even give a simple introduction on those heavy artillery terms like DOF, aperture etc. After feeling better knowing that CS people are nice, we can introduce them their peer users of the cameras and such, and voila! We've another circle

Then maybe some oldbies can join that table and chat away.

most excellent suggestion.. see.. note it says larry.....not dehuis.....

serius, just thot from my own experice taht i fel lost and i'm sure i'm not the only one lost so figured out that u gotta help urself so i suggested the newbie table idea and tried out at last seed. but i think to formally dos omething liek that is a committment that few pple are willing to make... me included unless larry wants to =) maybe for this seed i try again tio set up newbies table..(look for my avatar) and azure's cats ....but i think newbies gotta help themselves.. do come and sit down and teh liao jiaos smile a bit lah.. all look for fierce.. takes two hands to clap and heres one palm waiting.... now for yours... come join us

3. Larry?
    4. Togu?
    6. Wolfgang
    8. dehuis and my avatar..newbies look for me.. gonna be in white cs polo tee. (do i get kopi from larry too?)

3. Larry?
    4. Togu?
    6. Wolfgang
    8. dehuis and my avatar..newbies look for me.. gonna be in white cs polo tee. (do i get kopi from larry too?)
    9. chyeo (go tok cok)

Deregistered

Originally posted by dehuis
    few pple are willing to make... me included unless larry wants to =) maybe for this seed i try again tio set up newbies table..(look for my avatar) and azure's cats ....but i think newbies gotta help themselves.. do come and sit down and teh liao jiaos smile a bit lah.. all look for fierce.. takes two hands to clap and heres one palm waiting.... now for yours... come join us
    Will join your table at 7 Hope you're the only one wearing white at the table

Deregistered

3. Larry?
    4. Togu?
    6. Wolfgang
    9. chyeo (go tok cok)
    10. Azure

Originally posted by dehuis
    dehuis and my avatar..newbies look for me.. gonna be in white cs polo tee. (do i get kopi from larry too?)
    And I'll bring a 8R cat pix. Newcomers can look for the teddy and the kat pix. Maybe we may get Lavenderlilz and Poledra as well? And of course Larry....

E S P N. you have been warned. i will stomp you with my extra red large shoes if you continue to "suan" me...

hahaha just kidding.

ok ok looks like i've been arrowed. i will set aside a special table for those shy or paiseh to come (first round of kopi on me, except espn - he should buy me kopi instead for all the 'disturbing' he's given me). dehuis, pls, i would love for you to help out. appreciate your help there...

i will be wearing workclothes (shirt and pants) or a CS polo tee alao. shouldn't be hard to spot, just look for the big spec-kie or the uniformed schoolgirl asking me for drinks again.

/me run away from... the uniformed schoolgirl...

Larry, he'll wear the Ronald Macdonald clothes and sit there, so we announce to CS if newbies join look for Uncle Ronald, erm wait... Uncle Larry, and let him settle the newbies down.

ESPN Dagger

ESPN Dagger

ESPN Dagger

Originally posted by Larry

ok ok looks like i've been arrowed. i will set aside a special table for those shy or paiseh to come (first round of kopi on me, except espn - he should buy me kopi instead for all the 'disturbing' he's given me). dehuis, pls, i would love for you to help out. appreciate your help there...

Larry, no worries.. i'll be sitting with you to help in welcoming the newbies..
    --

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    Larry, no worries.. i'll be sitting with you to help in welcoming the newbies..
    Larry, no worries.. i'll be sitting next to wolfy who's next to you eating my free BCM.
    Last edited by togu; 10th June 2003 at 09:49 AM.

Yes yes.... you can look for this handsome young chap...

Deregistered

Larry:

But but but but but I helping you advertise yourself leh! Imagine all the CS people gather around you and snap away everybody poses with you, see, you become an instant entertainment You can wear pirate suit and we'll get togu to 'perch' on your shoulder ke ke ke.

Ok lah, if you wait for me until 7, I'll buy you a drink. Kopi on me

I've been thinking... instead of poor ol' Larry kena *arrow* how about Auntie Ronald?

*looks at Dagger*

/me runs far far far far before Dagger's tripod can land on my head

Originally posted by togu
    Larry, no worries.. i'll be sitting next to wolfy who's next to you eating my free BCM.
    Heheh...
    --

3. Larry?
    4. Togu?
    6. Wolfgang
    9. chyeo (go tok cok)
    10. Azure
    11. Lavenderlilz (still collecting for meowz)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast