Thread: Fast & Furious

Default Fast & Furious

Hello,

Just came back from a private car club track day on Sepang F1 Circuit at KL, Malaysia. Rest of the photos are here.

No motion blur added to it. Only adjusted the level and curve and hue. No cropping as well.

Tried to crop to the Rules of Third but still prefer this original "Smack in the Middle" compositon. Does it work for this photo?

Also seeking the the comment of paning skill and PP skill.

Jay the comments seeker

Exif:
    Focal length: 70mm
    Shuttle speed: 1/80
    F-number: f/9.0
    ISO: 100
    Lens used: 55-250 IS

Last edited by Killer_Jay; 4th March 2008 at 12:50 AM.

Default Re: Fast & Furious

Try to zoom in more. Fill up the boring space. It sounds easy but hard to do since more zoom makes it harder to follow the object. Tilt alittle but not too much. Nothing wrong with the panning. just practice practice practice...

here's an example to give U an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Try to zoom in more. Fill up the boring space. It sounds easy but hard to do since more zoom makes it harder to follow the object. Tilt alittle but not too much. Nothing wrong with the panning. just practice practice practice...

here's an example to give U an idea.
    bro,

thanks for the feedback. i got other shots tat has tighter crop here.

but i choose this shot for comment is becos it somehow give a very good colour balance (red, white, black on the car and on the track).

and the number is sharp where as the front and the back of the car is oof.

and it give viewer a little bit of other things (no doubt boring) to see around the car.

jay the killer
    Last edited by Killer_Jay; 4th March 2008 at 01:14 AM.

sports/action photography is slightly different from most other genres of photography, i notice.. especially when you're talking about car/motorbike race photography

at least there is a possibility for variance in humans, etc

here, what is important is details and sharpness, it is rare that people will focus on the aesthetics - of course this doesn't mean that one can produce an upside down picture.. but like i said, the dynamics are different

this is of course, based on my viewing and reading.. i could be wrong though.

bro.
    sorry I see U do have tighter crops, then pls disregard my comments on the panning & composition...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sports/action photography is slightly different from most other genres of photography, i notice.. especially when you're talking about car/motorbike race photography

here, what is important is details and sharpness, it is rare that people will focus on the aesthetics - of course this doesn't mean that one can produce an upside down picture.. but like i said, the dynamics are different

boss,

so wats ur verdict on this photo? hhahahah

jay the confused

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

interesting. couldnt undeserstand it late last night but now I do. I think the only difference is the extra technique required for sports/action/automotive. I think there's basically 2 approaches to such photography - commonly, the no-nonsense straightfoward stuff that tells the whole story and the less common or obscure approach that makes the photo like a abstract poem/prose/haiku wahtever.

But combine the 2 and U have gold. Some of the really iconic F1 shots (b&w) especially the portrait of the italian F1 fire marshall is beautiful. Tells the story, like a poem but gives U all the details.

When taking racing car it is best to capture a few car together. After all it is a race. Kind of boring to see a car alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Jay View Post
    boss,

so wats ur verdict on this photo? hhahahah

jay the confused
    oh, was talking about your statement about central placement - i think for certain types of photography, you don't actually need to follow the rule of thirds. here the subject is your car, and you want to see your car.. you can place it anywhere you want so long as it isn't too weird and gives a flattering view of your car.

regarding your photo, my initial and final feel is that i do not like it, the best explanation is that despite your excellent panning technique and the sharpness which could be just as easily lost through less than perfect methodology.. the background is cluttered. it is smooth but somehow there is so much "elements" added through the background clutter that you end up looking at them and not just at your subject.

rev's example is a good way to explain what i mean - there you have a riot of colors, textures, but somehow they are in harmony. note that i do not mean how close up you want to get, but i suppose if you tend to be closer up, you will tend to get a much more "harmonious" background. for your photo you have your side railing, the fence behind the side railing, the grass, the track lining.. too much happening for a background. just like if you take a butterfly, and the background has variance in color but it happens in nice uniform patches, versus a riotous background where you can see leaves here and there.. the first would be preferable to the second.

hope you get what i mean, cheers.

here are some links to demonstrate what i mean by the background not being perfectly smooth but in harmony

pure motion
    cyclist
    horse riding (panning not so smooth here, but it's a horse)
    jet ski racing