Thread: First Post

Default First Post

Took the pictures sometime back in GuangZhou, Bao Mo Yuan 宝墨院 using a Sony DSC-W1.

Have taken the picture to provide a tranquility and peaceful feel which was how it was like when i was sitting there looking at the bamboos. left the whole area to the right empty to make the bamboo standout more.
    Picture was taken around mid noon.
    Looking for comments on what can be a alternative way to take the whole pic and ways to improve it.

Last edited by Tianz16; 2nd March 2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Updated..

Default Re: First Post

First thing you can do is read the critique corner guidelines.
    Alpha

Waiting to critique your images.. but rule is to post ONE so waiting for that lovely ONE

please read and understand the guidelines, thanks.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139941
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273376

extra images removed.

Well, you need to understand the limits of a small PnS sensor. In the case of the W1, you're seeing clipped highlights. Personally, I would have preferred you left the entire sky on the right out entirely.
    Alpha

i believe u are trying to duplicate that of chinese painting by intentionally leaving the blank white space on the right.

but doesnt work here.

all there is are cluttered piles of bamboo and a washed out sky.

no mood, no nothing.

look at some chinese paintings of bamboo.

i'd say, try to isolate and simplify.

messy, and nothing achieved whatsoever by providing all the blownout highlights and the normal exposure on the left

here, i can see no real opportunity for a picture within the frame itself, unless you can find a section of hanging leaves against the sky, perhaps that might work.. like attap seed says, simplification and isolation would be key here. based on what i see in the picture, anyways.

Actually I think we don't need to write this off yet... yes, the highlights are blown, there are messy parts... but I also think the blown highlights presents us with an opportunity... Here's my attempt.

Tianz16, do let me know if you want me to remove this...
    Just me...

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap View Post
    Actually I think we don't need to write this off yet... yes, the highlights are blown, there are messy parts... but I also think the blown highlights presents us with an opportunity... Here's my attempt.

Hi SnapSnap,

Thats a nice addition you have in there!

It creates another feel and I feel like I am a poet looking at bamboos and thinking of poems. LOL!

Anyway I still feel the branch end near your text are wash out and the branches attaching the leaves are completely gone. I tihnk it will be nice to see a bit of the tone of the branch.
    EOS 40D | 17-40 F/4L USM

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap View Post

yes, this is definitely an improvement

but the overblown highlights, are still quite disturbing to me

maybe if exposure was lowered a stop or so

Hi,

Has everyone said Right side completely blown out and snapsnap did a good improment to your picture and i second it.

agree with the highlights as well.. too disturbing.. at least to me..

but snapsnap did good with whatever was available though! nice..

just a gripe.. chinese poems on a painting should be read right to left.. and use a nicer calligraphic font will be GREAT.. =P

Snapsnap, thanks.... nice way to frame that up...
    Thanks all for your comment... will take more and improve on my shooting...
    given you guys a choice when shooting the above subject, how would you actually go about doing so?

if i recall correctly, the bamboos is beside a pavallion with nothing else all round... is there someway to shoot this or there is nothing that will come out of here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tianz16 View Post
    if i recall correctly, the bamboos is beside a pavallion with nothing else all round... is there someway to shoot this or there is nothing that will come out of here...
    find the order within the mess, and you will get something for sure, but it takes patience and time and a keen eye. unfortunately i am not very good at getting patterns/order in nature but eikin (the mod who posted above) certainly is good at it, you should view his website and look through it, there are many examples of what you could do for flora in terms of composition, be it close up or notsocloseup. along with many other aspects of photography - much to learn there