Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Spend some money, buy a book and learn the basics.

If you still not sure, can come here to ask. Then as you progress, can pick up more tips along the way.

Here is not the place to start from scratch. You will only get more confused. Or maybe even disheartened.
    why spend money? just go to ur friendly library to borrow the books. they have books for each topic, eg. exposure, landscape, portrait, children etc. imagine how much u will need to spend if buying all these books!
    Last edited by denniskee; 2nd March 2008 at 02:45 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Not sure if my observations are valid esp on the stickies where hot topics have been discussed for most FAQs. Only the word sticky is in bold red and followed by normal font.These are further surrounded by a sea of bold fonts for normal topics. These screamed for attention more than the stickies. Will newbies pay attention to them ? I missed that and missed the opportunty to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Not sure if my observations are valid esp on the stickies where hot topics have been discussed for most FAQs. Only the word sticky is in bold red and followed by normal font.These are further surrounded by a sea of bold fonts for normal topics. These screamed for attention more than the stickies. Will newbies pay attention to them ? I missed that and missed the opportunty to learn.
    well even if they don't a lot of the time they are referred to them

quite hard to make a stickie really stand out leh

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Please learn from real pros..there are many impostors around
    Fully agreed on that! with many fake pros around, definitely a lot of dubious advices are flying around.

Just do own study and read every thing with a pinch of salt... especially from CS, even books are not always right.

CS is a good place to infect with bbb virus.....

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    CS is a good place to infect with bbb virus.....
    That's the unfortunate truth heh..

If you dun mind learning bits and pieces and then putting them all together yourself, then learn from here and read books.

If you need a complete package, go take courses.
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    Guys, do you think clubsnap is a good place to learn photography for newbies, or it's more for the experts discusiing their works? Thanks.
    IMO, the best is to get a camera and go out and shoot. It is quite pointless sitting in front of your computer and discussing about it if you don't go and shoot and learn through the process.

Nope.

This is one of the places I started my photography career. When I wasn't sure with the basics about 3 years ago, there were people willing to help me.

Things have changed a bit since then, but if you are earnest about learning, you will find that clubsnap is still a good place to learn from good and bad pictures.

Forums that give you very good pictures wouldn't make you learn as much because just seeing good technical pictures doesn't mean you can make them.

Seek a balance.

I must admit I learnt much, if not all, of my basics here, practised them on film, got kicked in the ass by myself for shooting so badly, read more here, went out to shoot more, and learnt about photography in the process.

You cannot come into CS hoping to be spoonfed. That is not the right attitude to learn, wherever you go. Do not hope to be spoonfed in any educational institute. Hard work must accompany the input of knowledge, and some times, you have to work to discover the knowledge yourself. Be a proactive learner, and you will learn much, not just on CS, but pretty much anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    Fully agreed on that! with many fake pros around, definitely a lot of dubious advices are flying around.

Just do own study and read every thing with a pinch of salt... especially from CS, even books are not always right.

Best is to learn from experience ... it can be a big mistake , grind tru the hard way and u will learn and remember well .

To me cs is more like a place to get to know more like minded folks here .

it is, as long you dont get affected by criticism and give up.

all advice on cameras, batteries and corrupt pictures have been well answered and supported.

folks here are well meaning

some get a little stress but then CS may be an outlet
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

Quote Originally Posted by AverRal View Post
    it is, as long you dont get affected by criticism and give up.
    Very true. Being able to take criticism in the right way is an absolutely vital human relations skill, especially if you want to constantly improve; not just in photography, but pretty much anything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123