Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

  1. #1

    Default Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Guys, do you think clubsnap is a good place to learn photography for newbies, or it's more for the experts discusiing their works? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Why not? There is a special section:

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8


    HS

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,777

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    if u are a newbie, theres no point in coming to clubsnap to "learn".

    why is that so? ppl will just say "go google" "why dont u use the internet to find out" "wat a dumb qns, go and read ur manual"

    and u know wat the more sarcastic ppl here will do? they will post this pic:



    so i guess u know where to go to learn photography..
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    Guys, do you think clubsnap is a good place to learn photography for newbies, or it's more for the experts discusiing their works? Thanks.
    I am not an expert but i learn a lot of stuffs here. And learning requires a person's own effort in doing it. There is no point reading up a lot of skills and stuffs here if a person don't go out and shoot and try out and even make mistakes.
    From mistakes, you know what you need to improve. And to seek improvement, do some search on other site by making use of google etc as well. Then go out shoot again. So, shoot more, post more and learn more~
    Last edited by Yapster; 1st March 2008 at 12:38 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    if u are a newbie, theres no point in coming to clubsnap to "learn".
    As a newbie I've learned a lot.

  6. #6
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    yes it's a great place to learn. but like life, it's not all happy-happy joy-joy, gotta learn to take the good with the bad.

    we're not all experts or pros, but a bit of research and initiative does help. and it keeps one from getting the occasional "sarcastic" reply. but what's life without a bit of pain?

    if you're really interested and want to learn about photography, DON'T GIVE UP.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    if u are a newbie, theres no point in coming to clubsnap to "learn".

    why is that so? ppl will just say "go google" "why dont u use the internet to find out" "wat a dumb qns, go and read ur manual"

    and u know wat the more sarcastic ppl here will do? they will post this pic:

    http://www.geocities.com/sethmcdoogle/google.gif

    so i guess u know where to go to learn photography..
    Don't know why, but I absolutely agree with you on that.
    My **flickr Album

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Actually is a good place if you ask your questions in a "right" way. So I guess is still a good place to learn IF you don't annoy the old birds here.
    For guidelines on asking a valid question, I am not really sure if there is any...
    My **flickr Album

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbok View Post
    Actually is a good place if you ask your questions in a "right" way. So I guess is still a good place to learn IF you don't annoy the old birds here.
    For guidelines on asking a valid question, I am not really sure if there is any...
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151525

  10. #10
    Member emirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gutter .....
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    absolutely it is! why? cause i learn lots from it
    IF

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Spend some money, buy a book and learn the basics.

    If you still not sure, can come here to ask. Then as you progress, can pick up more tips along the way.

    Here is not the place to start from scratch. You will only get more confused. Or maybe even disheartened.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  12. #12

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    sure! cs is a good place to learn.

    but as with all learning processess, you are also expected to do your part and keep an open mind. definately no spoon-feeding, unless you want to be fed pins and needles.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    I've learned a lot from CS...
    No doubt abt it...

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbok View Post
    So I guess is still a good place to learn IF you don't annoy the old birds here.
    When you speak to an Old Bird greet him with a little bow and you should address him appropriately as Sir. Speak in soft even tone instilling both respect and awe in your voice.

    Never try to show off your photography knoweldge or your expensive gear in front of an Old Bird. He will hate that.

    Lastly never make the mistake of reminding the Old Bird that you haven't seen him posting any photo here. He is a busy man.

    If the Old Bird is a female, don't behave as if you're the new Edison. Treat the little lady like she's a royalty and she'll be happy. Addressing her "Ma'am" never goes amiss. Normally you are required to curtsey and kiss her hand.

    Last edited by Sion; 1st March 2008 at 04:16 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    I definitely learn some photography tips on cs and learn from others' work. But the problem is you cannot learn photography through your own pictures. Basically, when you post pics on the forum, pple either ask you to read up w/o giving comments on the pic, or they simply dun give any comments at all. LOL. I dun mind have very lousy and heart breaking comments but getting NO comments at all........yar. Lousy and bad critique is so much better than no comments...

    And when you ask a qn, you have to be extremely clear. I recently post a qn and I didnt make my self clear euff. My intention is to ask those using vivitar usw that if they will use it taking indoors because the pics seemed to be underexposed . But I should shot myself because I asked this: "I keep having underexposed pics using vivitar, do you guys have the same problem using it?" the tone is not right because it sounded as though i am blaming the cam which i didnt intend to. So one guy came in with a reply saying that, it's photographer fault not the poor cam in a sacarstic manner. I dun understand why they have to be so tough on newbies and dun forget everyone is a newbie in the beginning.
    Last edited by chikubang; 1st March 2008 at 04:22 PM.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Serangoon Ave.2
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    When you speak to an Old Bird greet him with a little bow and you should address him appropriately as Sir. Speak in soft even tone instilling both respect and awe in your voice.

    Never try to show off your photography knoweldge or your expensive gear in front of an Old Bird. He will hate that.

    Lastly never make the mistake of reminding the Old Bird that you haven't seen him posting any photo here. He is a busy man.

    If the Old Bird is a female, don't behave as if you're the new Edison. Treat the little lady like she's a royalty and she'll be happy. Addressing her "Ma'am" never goes amiss. Normally you are required to curtsey and kiss her hand.

    if you go outside like coffee shop to meet up for dicussion, remember to pay for de drinks and food also, like that old bird may be more nice to you

  17. #17

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Here is generally a good place to get new skills.. But as an absolutely-no-idea how to do photography.. You will feel very, very sad after awhile.
    Meow!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    I definitely learn some photography tips on cs and learn from others' work. But the problem is you cannot learn photography through your own pictures. Basically, when you post pics on the forum, pple either ask you to read up w/o giving comments on the pic, or they simply dun give any comments at all. LOL. I dun mind have very lousy and heart breaking comments but getting NO comments at all........yar. Lousy and bad critique is so much better than no comments...
    Try to post in Macro Section, confirm got comments one. The comments confirm 100% wouldn't disappoint you.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    I think newbies encounter such incidents.... But I also dun really encourage spoon speeding too....But when you read bks and you dun understand and you need help, and you ask some stupid qns, they will mock at you.... I wont say all of course because some are really really kind to give long comments upon something you post to help you out. Giving good comments is nver equivalent to mockerings....

  20. #20

    Default Re: Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Spend some money, buy a book and learn the basics.

    If you still not sure, can come here to ask. Then as you progress, can pick up more tips along the way.

    Here is not the place to start from scratch. You will only get more confused. Or maybe even disheartened.
    Very well said and excellent advice
    Not all are that bad in this forum when it comes to communication skills; not necessarily sugar coating but excellent skills blended with honesty. Like someone ever said EQ is zero for some here, well that's life. Knowing if there's nothing concrete from such people, next time simply by-pass whatever they post because you know they have nothing to offer anyway. The more you react, the more pleasure they derive out of their insult. Why succumb ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •