Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

  1. #1

    Default Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Are they good? Any idea which shop carry them?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Can try Tangs 3rd floor electrical/electronics dept. Last saw them there. Must be one of the most expensive filters in Singapore. I would rather buy B+W.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Quote Originally Posted by whoelse View Post
    Are they good? Any idea which shop carry them?
    I got one from Orient Photo. It behaves just like any other filter.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    I got one from Orient Photo. It behaves just like any other filter.
    Doesn't make your images look like they were shot with Leica lenses? I'm disappointed...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Doesn't make your images look like they were shot with Leica lenses? I'm disappointed...
    I think some of my images look like they could have been taken with Leica lenses. Even those without any filters. This may be because, in my moderate experience, the main factor that determines what a picture looks like is not the filter or the lens, but the scene that you point the lens at.

    I bought the fancy filter spontaneously because I was appreciating the good service I got from the shop on another item (otherwise it probably would have been a cheaper brand). The price was actually quite reasonable (I believe about S$80 for a 77mm CPL).

  6. #6

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    If it is price reasonably, then we have another choice to try other then hoya or B+W. Is price comparable to hoya?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    but how are (1) the anti-reflection coating and (2) coating's scratch resistance like? No point paying so much if the anti-reflection coating is only as good as a hoya uv-guard

  8. #8

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    I think some of my images look like they could have been taken with Leica lenses. Even those without any filters. This may be because, in my moderate experience, the main factor that determines what a picture looks like is not the filter or the lens, but the scene that you point the lens at.

    I bought the fancy filter spontaneously because I was appreciating the good service I got from the shop on another item (otherwise it probably would have been a cheaper brand). The price was actually quite reasonable (I believe about S$80 for a 77mm CPL).
    There's something about Leica and CZ lenses which probably affects the colour and curve of the image you're getting. The difference is subtle but there is a difference. It's not just the scene.

    Yeah.. I agree that S$80 for a 77mm cpl is indeed very reasonable.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone View Post
    but how are (1) the anti-reflection coating and (2) coating's scratch resistance like? No point paying so much if the anti-reflection coating is only as good as a hoya uv-guard
    I haven't tried scratching my filters, so I can't comment on this aspect. Visually, the AR coating seems quite good, better than another cheap CPL filter I own (which doesn't claim to have a super-duper-extra-coating, but it still does the job). I don't use UV filters, so I cannot compare there.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    There's something about Leica and CZ lenses which probably affects the colour and curve of the image you're getting. The difference is subtle but there is a difference. It's not just the scene.
    I'm not sure if this is real or just wishful thinking. Keep in mind that some Leica lenses were designed and manufactured by others (namely Minolta).

  11. #11

    Default Re: Sigma EX Filters - Any experience with them

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    I'm not sure if this is real or just wishful thinking. Keep in mind that some Leica lenses were designed and manufactured by others (namely Minolta).
    Yeah.. But I believe the coating on the optics were done by Leica or CZ themselves. I wish it were wishful thinking. Nikon gets quite close but there's still something different. I can only speculate that it's the transmission curve. It's not difficult to do a side by side because CZ lenses are available in F-mount now. Oops.. OT liao.. Want to start a new thread on this?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th March 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •