Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is nikon D40 All that good? better than D80

Default Re: Is nikon D40 All that good? better than D80

Actually, both camera are good.

AFS lens are not that expensive unless u compare trinity.

The AFS 18-55 is cheaper then the 50mm F1.4 or the 85mm F1.4

Lacking the ability to AFD does suck when u can't use the legendary 85mm F1.4, which means there's no point buying that lens when u have to MF, so might as well get the Zeiss version

Also, Sigma and Tamron are coming up with AFS compatible lens.

Can't use the 50mm F1.4 or 35mm F2? Go buy the Sigma 30mm F1.4

Don't have $$ to get the monster 17-55 AFS F2.8? Get the Sigma or Tamron one at almost half the price

You get the idea right?

But of coz, the D80 allows you to use all the lenses, have a grip to look more pro and change less battery, and the number 8 is lucky.

Do you own math, do you own sums then decide which camera suits you the best.

For me, it will always be D3 but I no $$$ have to settle for D300 =/

The little LCD screen on top of the D80 is a big help too.
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

Quote Originally Posted by Burgerlim View Post
    Hi, all

found this site with the newbie tutorial/ guides on this corner.. the owner just cannot stress enough of the good of nikon D40.. over D40X, D80 or D60 and so on.. just need some confirmation over this here.. since many forum member here actually prefers D80 or the upcoming 450D of canon

anyone could advise.. since i am looking into getting my 1st DSLR, dun mind of the D40 6MP..

thanks..
    KenRockwell's site, I suppose?

D40 is not a bad camera. If you're putting off buying a DSLR because you still cannot afford a D80, then I would say D40 is something good enough for you at this point in time. You get to shoot with it first and get a head start. If in the future, you feel the need for something more, then you can upgrade the body. If you know that you want to go serious in this hobby and have the money, then go straight for a D80.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 3rd March 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prataz View Post
    Actually, both camera are good.

AFS lens are not that expensive unless u compare trinity.

The AFS 18-55 is cheaper then the 50mm F1.4 or the 85mm F1.4
    The AF-S 18-55 is a good macro lens when used reversed also.

Just wanna offer you my personal opinion on your thread.

Is the Nikon D40 better than the Nikon D80? Let's extend this question further by asking whichever is better, how much better? Is the difference worth the price difference? Is the difference something you cannot live without? Is the difference cannot be overcome by simple self-adjustments or done in a photo editing software?

Personally and to answer your question, it depends on how you use it. Accept the fact that new technology is always improving. So the D40 may have electronics that may surpass the D80 since it is release later when comparing the 2. But having said that, the D80 commands a higher price than the D40, perhaps the components used inside the body could be of a better grade. It's all endless when you want to compare things like that.

I think that ultimately it is the end result we are going after. Both cameras are very good cameras. Both can perform well. Both have more or less the same functionality and both share the same objective -- To allow the user to take photographs. I bet no one can tell the difference on an image taken by both cameras on the same subject at same conditions at ISO100.

So is the D40 better than the D80? The answer is no. But it is also wrong to say that the D80 is better than the D40. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. For example, the D80 could have a better metering sensor than the D40 but the D40 has a much better control of digital noise over the D80. There are lots more. Find out what these are and imply them to your way of shooting and check to see if you really need the strengths and if you totally cannot live with the weaknesses. Be flexible in your approach.

There are some points to consider when getting a camera:

- Affordability (based on your current finances)
    - Seriousness (getting a DSLR just because everybody is using it? Or you are really into photography?)
    - Time and devotion (how long do you think you will stick to photography before you are bored?)
    - Making money (are you going to make some money out of it ultimately?)

If you are simply wanting a big camera to just shoot around or carry it to wherever you go or just take some simple pictures of friends, relatives, parties, etc., I recommend you getting just the normal Point-&-Shoot types (the small ones displayed in almost every camera shops). Because know this, the moment you step into the DSLR world, there is no turning back. You will end up spending and spending and spending non-stop until it burns your fingers real bad, like glue sniffing. You have to be prepared on this.

If you are already an experienced photographer or someone who has been playing around with film cameras, then I would suggest you to get your hands on both cameras (by means of borrowing, renting, etc.) and play around. See which one makes you tick then that is your camera. If cost is a concern, then there is only one answer -- D40. Camera nowadays are made almost all the same in general (don't compare detailed specs by specs). For a beginner, all these technical numbers and hypens do not make any sense at all until one has learned and understand its logic and function. But having sound technical knowledge on the cameras and equipment does not also guarantee you making wonderful pictures. There is still the SKILL part which many people still lack and learning.

You have to know, a camera is just a tool. It will forever be a tool. It only allows the user to go to higher levels of photography but does not teach you how to get up there. You need skills to drive you up. Having a superb camera does not guarantee you good pictures and having a simple camera does not mean your picture sucks. What is photography? It is the understanding of light and manipulating/controlling it to work the way you want it, not an eternal technical battle of who's got the best cameras.

Hope I am not too late before your make your decision.
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums

KRW may be flamboyant, but as a photographer, he's down to earth and speaks a lot of truth. he dun speak all about technicalities, neither does he speak as if a photographer is god and equipment does not matter. he speaks of photography as a whole, and i think that's important.

the features of the camera gear revolves as a system to the photographer and its environment, and not by itself.

in order to complete a cycle of activitity, you need to
    1. get to the place
    2. work around your subject
    3. see
    4. have a vision
    5. frame
    6. focus
    7. meter, preset, adjust
    8. hold or pan steadily before capture
    9. processing

a lot of time, we are fixated at 7. becos that part is most complicated, but every step counts and the camera has a part in most of it. to cut the story short, Burgerlim, you got to be comfortable with the size, weight, promiscuity and grip, and look at bodies that is 400g+, 600g+, 800g+ etc. becos that will affect whether you are going to bring it out or not.

is there a way to know how to feel the ergonomics is good when you dunno the buttons? i ain't sure but you sure can hold the lens and body on the left hand, grip on the right hand, right index on the shutter release,.... then feel all the buttons on the body while maintaining that grip.... you may start to know what buttons are accessible and what are not... then you poke your photographer friend (if you have one with you) at the shop, and ask him, is this inaccessible button important???

next you got to get used to seeing through the viewfinder. and nobody tells me when i'm buying my DSLR that is so important to have a bright and large viewfinder. the better you see, the better you shoot. is that under any specifications? by right, it can be, but seems nobody really bothers to quantitfy it for comparison.

and of cos there are user-independent processes like optic quality, and sensor performance. but by the time you have got slightly more comfortable with steps 1 to 9, you might be just in time to upgrade in 2-4 years time (or maybe you can be faster... i'm a slow learner) to what you then know is better for you, and that is when you started to think about how your gear will assist you in these technical factors.

some people i see who does not produce self-satisfactory or impressive-to-others photos, and eventually losing interest, are often those who works around subjects they are not very interested in, or they can't find the subjects they are interested in, rather than the lack of creative vision or skills. so if in the end, a smaller camera works for you, get that then. once you are comfortable with the subject, you can get around with the appropriate gears.

i know i play around with shallow depth of field. 50mm f/1.8 AF-D is thus a cheap, light and sharp lens to play with. if you get these D40, 40x and 60, you will have to manual focus. that is the key difference between these series and the others in the family. the others are less important factors at the moment for you. i can't advice further for i'm still a one DSLR newbie-amateur unlike those who have tried various brands, and use medium format, SLR and RF etc. KRW spells some of the important things for each of the things he tried, and he puts relevance into each thing (the problem with some reviews is that they do not put into sufficient relevance into your shooting cycle as ilusrtated above from pt 1 to 9).

no, D40 is not better than D80, but if you do not worry about the advantages that the entry D50 and intermediate D80 has, then D40 is cheaper and lighter (key importances too). i never think of how good D3 is as i have never thought of buying it. so fit into your budget too.

my last advice, which i think should hold true since we all may not be know what's best for us in future, get what you think you need now, but if people is going to tell you that's far insufficient for your expectations, then either drop your expectation or reconsider. lucky thing is that nowadays most entry levels DSLRs are quite more than sufficient than the newbies.
    Last edited by zoossh; 4th March 2008 at 04:05 AM.

Wow,
    Thanks for the great advises from Zeckson and Zoossh (i am still halfway in your superb newbie guide. thanks for the great efforts!)

Yeah.. abt D40, yes as mentinoed by ken... its overall since he has the options of hardwares (as well skills) and considering it as a whole as he rightfully pointed out as D80 to him is not about here nor there... kind of senario.. (the term good "is relative".. and we all have to be just mature enough to differentiate it.. in many others fields too..right?)

The only consideration to be now is about the physical feels and one that offer better extendability (a little before to my next camera.. ) so this case here now is narrowing down to D80, 400D and upcoming 450D. the kit budget is ok to me for now.. (considering a lot more needed to buy. drybox.. lens etc etc.. i swear will install antivirus for the BBB virus.. my dear wife here..) he he..)

After much reading.. and some basic test, (few friends poking also.. hehe.. ) it all comes to me that canon appears to be more weight and size friendly.. (considering my wife use too..)..

as a 1st buy, think it wont go wrong with any of the above even if at a later date.. that we decide to switch camp (not likely i think.. for any sensible users.. simply i think.. ) or to extend further. having sub entry like D40 etc will means sure sell away should we need to upgrades..

So thanks for all the wonderful great advise here.. sincerely..

Happy shooting.
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums

as he rightfully pointed out as D80 to him is not about here nor there...
    but precisely there is a large group of people who is "neither here nor there", all these exist for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    but precisely there is a large group of people who is "neither here nor there", all these exist for a reason...
    Me one of them.. haha.. or not even there.. just hope to know of the 450D price..now.. checked on the price section.. last few days still nothing..

Me one of them.. haha.. or not even there.. just hope to know of the 450D price..now.. checked on the price section.. last few days still nothing..
    r u a SLR or previous RF user? or from prosumer?

TS, why do you want to compare these two cameras?
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    r u a SLR or previous RF user? or from prosumer?
    Hi hi, eh Paiseh.. Just a prosumer... at most..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBull View Post
    TS, why do you want to compare these two cameras?
    Hi, cos D40 kit is now below $900 only.. while D80 is another half of that.. at the very 1st while D40x D60 etc seems on the same range while offering not much extra.. then was really attracted to the 1/500th light sync.. (haha. laugh at me..) and does really believe less pixel on the same sensor size does maybe could provide better details..better light sensing (Now know better but think those could be true..also )

And finally then it was either save it all attitude.. (again after the lense highlight know.. its not true.)

as a 1st buy, think it wont go wrong with any of the above even if at a later date.. that we decide to switch camp (not likely i think.. for any sensible users.. simply i think.. ) or to extend further. having sub entry like D40 etc will means sure sell away should we need to upgrades..

So thanks for all the wonderful great advise here.. sincerely..
    Actually upgrading doesn't mean you need to sell away, just keep it as a second body. You will know how useful to have a second body when you start building up your lens arsenal.

yeah.. but then on D40.. range.. the AF thing should be the pain.. that is the reason (and think as many had advised...) to go a little up to save in the long run..
    Last edited by Burgerlim; 4th March 2008 at 02:09 PM.

Hi, cos D40 kit is now below $900 only.. while D80 is another half of that.. at the very 1st while D40x D60 etc seems on the same range while offering not much extra.. then was really attracted to the 1/500th light sync.. (haha. laugh at me..) and does really believe less pixel on the same sensor size does maybe could provide better details..better light sensing (Now know better but think those could be true..also )

And finally then it was either save it all attitude.. (again after the lense highlight know.. its not true.)

D80 second hand in B&S selling for around $900 or more. Of course it doesn't come with a lens. A used kit lens 18-55 is abt $100 or even lower and 18-70 second hand around $250. These could be options for u too, if u dont mind buying 2nd hand.

..... just hope to know of the 450D price..now.. checked on the price section.. last few days still nothing..
    Hi Burgerlim, don't think the 450D is out locally yet. But it does look good. Sounds like a mini 40D.

ya, but really like to consider 450D while as many has pointed out.. 2nd hand maybe a good option but being a newbie.. not too sure of how to really go about it.. like things to look for .. (shutter life... etc...)

Any idea when will it reach here?

Hi Burgerlim,

Pardon me to hijack your thread, i am in the same situation as you.
    I missed an opportunity of 350D with kit lens @ $550.
    As i am unsure of the things to look out for such as lens and sensor, i decided not to take it up cos i saw speckle of dust like object on the lens under light.

I wanted to get D40x or D60 but hesitated due to the AF-S and D80 is doubled the price.
    if back to 2nd hand D80 i would have the share problem over unsure condition, just like the 350D offer i rejected.

What's your decision or any other gurus can assist us?
    thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast