Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D60 or D80 or Canon D400

Default Re: Nikon D60 or D80 or Canon D400

one good place to try out canon camera will be at the canon show room at vivocity just beside GV there.
    you can try all you want with the 40D and the 400D that is on display all you want show here and there and here and there..
    no one will bother you muahahaha ..
    went there twice to try out le .. feeling the cam in your hands is very different from reading reviews..
    Last edited by Tianz16; 2nd March 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tianz16 View Post
    one good place to try out canon camera will be at the canon show room at vivocity just beside GV there.
    you can try all you want with the 40D and the 400D that is on display all you want show here and there and here and there..
    no one will bother you muahahaha ..
    went there twice to try out le .. feeling the cam in your hands is very different from reading reviews..
    For those who're in the hunt, I was there this afternoon, no sign of 450D as yet.
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    If you know it's not new, why are you asking the exact same questions then???? Just look right in the "Newbies corner", there's 3 or 4 threads on the first 2 pages that answer everything.

Recap:
    D60 is a toy with no AF motor
    D80 is better but might be replaced soon
    400D (NOT D400) is an entry-level camera being replaced by the 450D.

Look at Pentax, Sony, Olympus too. Great value for money.

And all the other "go and feel them for yourself, use the cameras, test them, don't expect people to tell you what camera to get" advice.

I mean seriously, THIS CAMERA IS FOR YOU. As such, stop expecting people to tell you what to buy. do you rely on people to tell you what clothes to buy? What car to buy? What 4D numbers to buy?

Errr...sorry to hijack this thread....the D60 has no AF motor meaning.....lens that do not feature AF will not work AF on D60? or the D60 is not a camera with AF feature? paiseh....hope to get sincere non attacking replies ...

basically a D60 will only AF with a lens that has an AF motor in it, e.g. AF-S lens.

Quote Originally Posted by D60D60 View Post
    Errr...sorry to hijack this thread....the D60 has no AF motor meaning.....lens that do not feature AF will not work AF on D60? or the D60 is not a camera with AF feature? paiseh....hope to get sincere non attacking replies ...
    if u dun mind doing manual focus or dun need a prime lens, then D60 shld be quite a good DSLR even though it can only AF with AF-S lens. btw, seeing ur nick, i suppose u most probably will buy a D60. right?
    Last edited by hlw8888; 3rd March 2008 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Just go A350..
    A350? I think A700 is closer to what the D300 offers.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Dee-Q View Post
    anyway i've read somewhere that nikon is better in low light / indoor photography and canon is better outdoor or fast phtography is that true ?
    Nikon and Canon are always leapfrogging each other.. At this point in time Nikon seems to be ahead with the D3.. But the consumer ends DSLRs are about the same. Go and feel the DSLR in your hands and get the one which you are comfortable with holding and the controls. That's more important when it comes to these 2 brands because functionally they are about the same, the lenses are just about as expensive... Or you may want a certain lens in Canon's lineup, eg MPE65 or Nikon's lineup, eg 18-200VR... bottomline is you can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon.

My personal choice is Nikon for many reasons but yours may differ. But like Rashkae mentioned, don't write off Sony, Pentax and Olympus also.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    A350? I think A700 is closer to what the D300 offers.
    Yes, but we're not talking D300 here, we're discussing D40, D60 or 400D.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Nikon and Canon are always leapfrogging each other..
    Yup... And you can never say that N is better than C or vice versa, because there are so many different camera categories and opinions. You really need to make up your own mind about these things.
    Alpha

go to imaging-resource and download the samples taken under controlled conditions.

I am doing some serious pixel peeping yesterday and I think Canon is still visibly better than the rest including nikon, in terms of high ISO. but that is just my POV, the images are there, go and pixel peep yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    go to imaging-resource and download the samples taken under controlled conditions.

I am doing some serious pixel peeping yesterday and I think Canon is still visibly better than the rest including nikon, in terms of high ISO. but that is just my POV, the images are there, go and pixel peep yourself...
    At this point in time, I would say, yes. However, I feel that Canon's processing does alter the image quite a bit and makes it quite different from the original object. It's like having a digital artist sitting inside the camera second guessing what the object is supposed to be like and touching up the images to make it look good. IMO, it's a bit overdone (like my first impression of Fuji Epic machines in the film days). But this is something personal and subjective and I won't comment beyond this.

Hi, all Thanks for the updates, grateful and as further i dig into shop test, the more now i am leaning toward canon with its lighter body.. (but nikon grip is better)... as Rashkae suggest... i have been digging into sony alpha too..come across some photography review of A100, 400D and D80.. the reviewer mentioned canon does capture better details overall...

so with the 450D upcoming in itshow this week... would really try out these.. (if i managed to squeeze in tough

Quote Originally Posted by Burgerlim View Post
    Hi, all Thanks for the updates, grateful and as further i dig into shop test, the more now i am leaning toward canon with its lighter body.. (but nikon grip is better)... as Rashkae suggest... i have been digging into sony alpha too..come across some photography review of A100, 400D and D80.. the reviewer mentioned canon does capture better details overall...

so with the 450D upcoming in itshow this week... would really try out these.. (if i managed to squeeze in tough
    the 1st 2 days shld be relatively easy for u to go to the Canon booth to try out the cams. Can't be sure for the weekends.
    Last edited by hlw8888; 4th March 2008 at 11:54 AM.

Just many confirm 450D wont be in ITshow...

Quote Originally Posted by hlw8888 View Post
    I can understand TS dilemma on choosing the right DSLR cos I am someone like him too. all the detailed specs, online reviews and review videos can sometimes be overwhelming for us (newbies to DSLR).

Most of u all mentioned abt going to store to try out personally to have a hands-on feel. I admit that's the best way but sometimes (at least for me) it is quite paisei to go try out all the cameras then say "Thks, I'll go back and consider 1st." to the salesperson. I'm glad that Sony at least has provided Sony Galleries locally for me to try out their cameras w/o the "pressure" from salespersons.

I dun mean to start an argument or a war by making my comments here. Juz my 2 cents worth of personal view. 如有得罪,还请多多包涵。
    I can empathise with that. I remembered reading a 1001 reviews, detailed specs, doing side by side comparisons and yet, cannot really make a decision. It is a tough decision in that you will be plonking out quite a bit of money not only for that initial camera, but likely the lenses and peripherals that will follow as well. And its hard to decide when you cannot fully understand/convince yourself that what you are buying will be the best choice for you.

Going to the shops and hand holding the cameras did not help much. If you have never shot with DSLRs, the Nikon feels about the same as the Canon as the Sony ... et al. You simply won't know how to appreciate the differences between the cameras.

What helped was hands-on shooting with the cameras at workshops, etc. Helps to realise what is it you like/don't like about DSLRs and then you know what to look out for in the camera you want. It also gives you a more realistic expectation of what you will be getting from the DSLRs (ie. don't expect super duper shots from Day 1). Reading the reviews after hands-on shooting helps alot more as you can better appreciate what they are writing about.

Hi a quick shot..
    I check out paper comparison, in term of entry level and semi pros, such as C400D, C40D, N D80
    Physically held, I felt C40D and N D80 appeal to me.

Talking about the body only:
    what exactly are the significant differences that semi pros stood out other than the faster burst rate, more durable body, and ultimately the price difference? I guess the MP count be it 10, 12.3 or whatever, won't impact a beginner much but wish to make a 1 time investment worth of its value. IMAGE quality from their sensor?
    Last edited by akagi07; 29th May 2008 at 11:27 AM.

the intermediate-level cameras have some advantages over their beginner-level siblings:
    - larger, more solidly-built body. Probably better materials (already mentioned)
    - has less restrictions on the lenses that work well with it
    - faster frame rate (already mentioned)
    - more 1-touch access to many functions, instead of having to dive into the menus all the time. This only applies to those who like to play with the settings a lot, between shots etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    the intermediate-level cameras have some advantages over their beginner-level siblings:
    - larger, more solidly-built body. Probably better materials (already mentioned)
    - has less restrictions on the lenses that work well with it
    - faster frame rate (already mentioned)
    - more 1-touch access to many functions, instead of having to dive into the menus all the time. This only applies to those who like to play with the settings a lot, between shots etc.
    Hi zerocoolastra, thanks for the notes

so well basically, these r the main differences semi-Pro over the entries, and lense compability is also offered in a wider range, am I right?

and therefore, can say that, in term of the sensor and the pic quality taken just solely depending on the taker himself.. not much diff then. I'm aware that diff brand utilise diff image processing chip. so the extra $$$ in the semi are for the body construction. am i right to say?

handling of the camera is very impt to me. even if the camera has a million functions but handling and interface is clunky, it's a major barrier to shooting.
    e.g. for me, i can't live with just one control dial. just feels wrong to me.

end of the day, specs not really very impt. camera specs go outdated every year. and the differences won't show up as much as your own vision in photography.

ever consider pentax and olympus? If u dun knw the limitation of the d60...and why u should get the d80 iso the d60....
    ... I guess it will not be very much diff whichever u choose
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast