Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Buying Camera in Japan

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by unimatrix View Post
    but would you know whether those shops with the cheapest price are trustworthy?
    At least a big shop like yodobashi has a reputation to uphold.

    I posted my recent experience of buying a lens in Tokyo here
    Only got one lens in Tokyo, coz that's all I needed. :-)

    I could have gone looking for the shop with the cheapest price, but heck, the difference between kakaku and their price might juz be 500Y (~SGD$7-8?) might as well spend the time walking around tokyo with the new lens rather than looking for a shop. Moreover, I don't read Japanese, so .. harder to get around.

    In Tokyo, might want to try Shinjuku area (both east and West exit) they have 3 big shops that you can patronize: Yodobashi, Bic Camera, Sakuraya. All have salesman with acceptable English. If you print out the model number or picture of the item you're looking for, it might be easier to talk to them.
    Ikebukuro area also has lots of Bic Camera shops, first floor always has DSLR stuffs.

    I feel that the price of their (JP) camera body and lenses are quite cheap, can't say the same abt their accessories though. SG seems to have abt the same price.
    However, I was rather biased, only looking and comparing alpha systems accessories.

    hope that helps
    Yeah that's where i'm going this year end to buy some camera stuffs - Shinjuku. My 50mm was also brought in from there direct.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  2. #62
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by unimatrix View Post
    but would you know whether those shops with the cheapest price are trustworthy?
    At least a big shop like yodobashi has a reputation to uphold.

    I posted my recent experience of buying a lens in Tokyo here
    Only got one lens in Tokyo, coz that's all I needed. :-)

    I could have gone looking for the shop with the cheapest price, but heck, the difference between kakaku and their price might juz be 500Y (~SGD$7-8?) might as well spend the time walking around tokyo with the new lens rather than looking for a shop. Moreover, I don't read Japanese, so .. harder to get around.

    In Tokyo, might want to try Shinjuku area (both east and West exit) they have 3 big shops that you can patronize: Yodobashi, Bic Camera, Sakuraya. All have salesman with acceptable English. If you print out the model number or picture of the item you're looking for, it might be easier to talk to them.
    Ikebukuro area also has lots of Bic Camera shops, first floor always has DSLR stuffs.

    I feel that the price of their (JP) camera body and lenses are quite cheap, can't say the same abt their accessories though. SG seems to have abt the same price.
    However, I was rather biased, only looking and comparing alpha systems accessories.

    hope that helps
    Canon gear are cheaper in JP than SG. I m not sure about alpha system. Go for yodobashi if you are using credit card, otherwise the smaller shops have lower prices than the big stores, because of no credit card charge and only cash transaction. i use kakaku to check n compare prices and go straight for 1 to 2 shops to check for stocks.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    May plan to buy my Canon 450D in Japan. If I use cash, am I able to get more discount? Just like sls?

  4. #64
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherchen View Post
    May plan to buy my Canon 450D in Japan. If I use cash, am I able to get more discount? Just like sls?
    if u use cash, the prices are lower than big stores. cos u cant use credit cards, there is not currency interest by banks. hence the prices are much lower and u get VAT refund of 5% off the retail price. =)

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    Guess i must start to plan early liao.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    if u use cash, the prices are lower than big stores. cos u cant use credit cards, there is not currency interest by banks. hence the prices are much lower and u get VAT refund of 5% off the retail price. =)
    Thanks for the info.

    According to the report here, it says that memory cards (last sentence) are expensive compared to SG but from the Kakaku website it's roughly about the same. Can someone verify this? Thanks.
    Last edited by christopherchen; 4th May 2008 at 11:07 PM.

  7. #67
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherchen View Post
    Thanks for the info.

    According to the report here, it says that memory cards (last sentence) are expensive compared to SG but from the Kakaku website it's roughly about the same. Can someone verify this? Thanks.
    never buy memory cards in JP.. they are expensive generally in JP compared to SG..

  8. #68

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    visit www.kakaku.com first~~ do some work first. observe japan yen rates, if < 13 SGD, MTL, exchange the moola first. =D
    According to this website, Nikon D300 is only Y161,700, which by today's exchange rate, is S$2,094 . If with 5% sales tax rebate... woohoo !!!

  9. #69
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: Buying Camera in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by NikonD100 View Post
    According to this website, Nikon D300 is only Y161,700, which by today's exchange rate, is S$2,094 . If with 5% sales tax rebate... woohoo !!!
    u get more savings if u were to buy the D3 model~~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •