Thread: How you clean your cds from those "marks" or "fungus"

Default How you clean your cds from those "marks" or "fungus"

Hi,

Anyone got good tips on how to clean one's cds free of those fungus?

Currently i am using Kiwi window cleaner with tissue. Can or not?? Dont know will spoil the cds or not.... And then clean in circular movements....

Default Re: How you clean your cds from those "marks" or "fungus"

Mama Lemon is fine. Don't worry about it. Use wipe it carefully, rinse it with water. Use a cloth to wipe. Don't worry of that plastic since it is not reading from there. The plastic is just a protection tho

wipe from the inside out.... better than circle...

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Mama Lemon is fine. Don't worry about it. Use wipe it carefully, rinse it with water. Use a cloth to wipe. Don't worry of that plastic since it is not reading from there. The plastic is just a protection tho
    Serious? Oh dear i never rinse with water... OMG.... Usually just wipe clean, use another dry tissue to wipe dry again and then thats it.....

Quote Originally Posted by advrider View Post
    wipe from the inside out.... better than circle...
    How come inside out better? seems to hear conflicting ideas, cos remember a friend from HMV saying must do circular.....

Because the lens read from inside to outside. Just like burning. That applies when you are applying cream. For me, I rinse with water and use the tissue, lay it on top, press down to suck the water out. Let it dry, thats all. My company had thousands over CDs, thats what we do. If there's no scratches, just rinse with water.

I used to clean my vinyl for DJing usage with Mama Lemon. Soak it in, take out, wipe. Works! No harm

Thanks a lot, am going to do that now.... Spring Cleaning starts

Quote Originally Posted by Zhiliang View Post
    How come inside out better? seems to hear conflicting ideas, cos remember a friend from HMV saying must do circular.....
    because if *touch wood* a scratch should result from abrasion, a scratch from a circular cleaning motion would be more likely to follow the circular path of the data burnt on the disc and possibly cause a stretch of data to be corrupted whereas if the scratch were caused by a radial cleaning pattern (from inside to outside of disc), any scratch would just affect one point in each track of the disc...

I have a few hundred CDs and I just use a water-moistened tissue to wipe the CDs radially. No need to buy any fancy CD cleaning solution. For dry cleaning you might try a microfibre cloth.

When a scratch is circumferential, the CD player will have to work harder to do error correction and may skip certain parts of the the song. If the scratch is radial error correction is easier as a very small portion of the track has errors with every revolution.

I actually had a pretty bad CD fungus infection... I cleaned them with a soft microfibre cloth that was in a 50/50 water/Mr Muscle solution. The chlorine cleaned and killed the fungus, and does not damage the CD surface. I then dried them in direct sunlight for 15 minutes.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I actually had a pretty bad CD fungus infection... I cleaned them with a soft microfibre cloth that was in a 50/50 water/Mr Muscle solution. The chlorine cleaned and killed the fungus, and does not damage the CD surface. I then dried them in direct sunlight for 15 minutes.
    don't know if you should use chlorine based cleaners... the cd might not be very tolerent to it... polycarbonate is not very resistant to halogens...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    don't know if you should use chlorine based cleaners... the cd might not be very tolerent to it... polycarbonate is not very resistant to halogens...
    I test-cleaned a CD 30 times with the solution. No damage, all data read fine.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I test-cleaned a CD 30 times with the solution. No damage, all data read fine.
    as long as thoroughly washed off... just don't let it soak

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    as long as thoroughly washed off... just don't let it soak
    correct!
    Alpha