Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: US Dollar: I've fallen down & I can't get up

Default Re: US Dollar: I've fallen down & I can't get up

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    That's for certain.

It hasn't been this bad for a while since President Reagan devalued the dollar in 1985. I was in Japan that week and it had fallen from 239 yen a few weeks earlier to 214 the day I left. It reached a low of about 85 and only recently returned to just over 121 (Decenber 2007?) before falling again.

Of course, it's supposed to be better for manufactured goods made in the U.S.A., but most all of the manufacturing has been gone for a while, along with many other jobs. It's amazing how the country has changed since George W. took his place in the White House. It's like the 1970s again.
    wa its now 1.3822...past the old historical low already! yeap bush has done nothing to push the country forward, all he's done is cause it to go thru bankruptacy, brain drains and turned the world against it. I'd say he's done a far better job than Osama in wrecking america...

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    wa its now 1.3822...past the old historical low already! yeap bush has done nothing to push the country forward, all he's done is cause it to go thru bankruptacy, brain drains and turned the world against it. I'd say he's done a far better job than Osama in wrecking america...
    There was an interview with him and he mentioned how the stock markets fell the day he submitted his paperwork to become a presidential candidate. Things only became worse when he took office.

those who bought insurance policies or unit trusts in US dollars years back are now sitting on losses... years back i decided to realise my policy at $1.64, bought when it was $1.67... now i know how lucky i am.

this is a good chance to load up all the USD you can get! cos that's what everyone else will be doing and suddenly like a flick of a swtich the USD will sky rocket back to 1.6
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Well, this week, due to the Bear Sterns problem, it closed out below the 1.38. Man, I underestimated the fall.

In fact, it closed at 1.3790 according to Yahoo Financials. It has never been this low before, and there is no end to the drop in sight. Hmmm 1.30 by end June? Who knows? That level isn't too far away. Straits Times was say that it was 1.51 about 6 months ago. What is possible in the next 3.5 months?

Come, let's all put in our guesses

Wonder what would happen if even more of international trade shifted to Euros ?

In many ways, the US has been able to manipulate the entire world economy by having it's currency used as the defacto world currency - particularly the currency used in the trading of resources.

Euros are coming up from behind - it's not controlled by any one country, and the EuroZone is expanding, all those trading nations that the US has managed to tick off, are potential Euro users. A currency who's central bank has to deal with multiple national governments already.

If the EuroZone manages to get a few big oil producers to trade in Euros instead of USD, it's game over.... Iran keeps threatening to do this - although probably just to annoy the US more than anything else.

what will worsen the whole crisis is the slowing economy... all u need is one junk economic report to trigger another meltdown.

After the MAS move today, 1 USD = 1.3567 SGD - all time high.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    After the MAS move today, 1 USD = 1.3567 SGD - all time high.
    Always 2 sides to a coin... to me, it's all-time low, cos I'm paid in USD

Hope that it will recover, at least, before pay day.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    Well, this week, due to the Bear Sterns problem, it closed out below the 1.38. Man, I underestimated the fall.

In fact, it closed at 1.3790 according to Yahoo Financials. It has never been this low before, and there is no end to the drop in sight. Hmmm 1.30 by end June? Who knows? That level isn't too far away. Straits Times was say that it was 1.51 about 6 months ago. What is possible in the next 3.5 months?

Come, let's all put in our guesses
    Never, not even 1985 or 1986 when it the dollar was hitting all time lows?

It was reported the sub prime loss was as high as $180bn. Thats very well could be the economy of a few small countries many times over :P
    The impact has been felt globally. The people in the US are the ones suffering. The US is not self sufficient. That explains their deficit in their Trade Balance.

It is reported that the US is already in recession. I forsee a weak trend continuing till the election. Its well known that America is looking for a change.
    I think the financial markets will show that historically the dollar picks up on optimism of the elections and new policy. Load up on your usd and
    wait for election

Or buy cameras from me cause we get our stock in USD
    Live! Messenger nic at dealuseek.com | visit us @ dealUseek.com | email sales (at) dealuseek.com

Deregistered

1 USD is SGD$1.3561 today!! It's time to BBB online.
    Last edited by bovine; 24th April 2008 at 05:11 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123