Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 61114151617182126 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 558

Thread: JI detainee does a prison break.

  1. #301
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpose View Post
    just wonder if its just a plot to get rid of him.....coz b4 this he did not commit any so call crime or terror act, he just plan, so let him take chance and now that he escape and red warning is issued, wonder if it would be a good time to get rid of him once and for all. Dangerous man on run shoot if threaten or maybe I watch too much movie liao?
    In case you do not know the definition of an Interpol Red Alert, it is not shoot on sight. An Interpol Red Alert basically means any Interpol officer, worldwide, has the authority to arrest the man on the spot, wherever he is found.

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    this wanted man could not have survived by now.. human cannot survive without food and water for so long
    It is clearly stated in the news that he has had hit-and-run and survivalist training, and such training prepares you to forage, and survive in seemingly impossibly circumstances, such as in deep rainforest. Perhaps you should update yourself with the daily news.

  2. #302
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Mobilize whole SAF plus reservists cfm got more than enuff. Form a lime stretch across whole island from east to west den comb from south to north coastline. Best!
    My standby coming soon leh... Hope SAF / MINDEF wont see your post

  3. #303
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: JI detainee does a prison break.


  4. #304
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    In case you do not know the definition of an Interpol Red Alert, it is not shoot on sight. An Interpol Red Alert basically means any Interpol officer, worldwide, has the authority to arrest the man on the spot, wherever he is found.
    Interpol has no powers of arrest, which would touch on fundamental sovereignty issues. Interpol can merely alert police forces in other countries to the situation and ask for their collaboration.

  5. #305
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Interpol has no powers of arrest, which would touch on fundamental sovereignty issues. Interpol can merely alert police forces in other countries to the situation and ask for their collaboration.
    Hmm. Why is it that I read it yesterday's Straits Times that "any Interpol officer can arrest him on the spot"..?

  6. #306
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Hmm. Why is it that I read it yesterday's Straits Times that "any Interpol officer can arrest him on the spot"..?
    Because most newspapers worldwide write a lot of nonsense. In a local context, I'm not aware of any newspaper that I would take remotely serious.

    Interpol has a website that has a lot of easy to understand information: http://www.interpol.int/

    And here's the section on the "red notice": http://www.interpol.int/Public/Wante...InvestServ.asp

    Of course it would be too much to expect journalists to look this up before sensationalising things.

    Edit: here's another page that states it so explicitly and clearly that even SPH editors could be expected to grasp it: http://www.interpol.int/Public/Wanted/Default.asp

    To cite,

    An Interpol Red Notice is NOT an international arrest warrant. [emphasis mine]

    ...

    The persons concerned are wanted by national jurisdictions (or the International Criminal Tribunals, where appropriate) and Interpol's role is to assist the national police forces in identifying or locating those persons with a view to their arrest and extradition.

    These red notices allow the warrant to be circulated worldwide with the request that the wanted person be arrested with a view to extradition.
    Last edited by LittleWolf; 3rd March 2008 at 04:29 PM.

  7. #307
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Because most newspapers worldwide write a lot of nonsense. In a local context, I'm not aware of any newspaper that I would take remotely serious.

    Interpol has a website that has a lot of easy to understand information: http://www.interpol.int/

    And here's the section on the "red notice": http://www.interpol.int/Public/Wante...InvestServ.asp

    Of course it would be too much to expect journalists to look this up before sensationalising things.

    Edit: here's another page that states it so explicitly and clearly that even SPH editors could be expected to grasp it: http://www.interpol.int/Public/Wanted/Default.asp
    ...
    Thanks for the clarification.

  8. #308
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Someone should do a t-shirt with slogan

    "Singapore Most Wanted" and have this poster printed on it!!!
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  9. #309
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    this wanted man could not have survived by now.. human cannot survive without food and water for so long
    this guy is from the JI, and is one of the heads...hence i would want to think that he has some sort of training similar to "jungle" survival where he can survive for days/weeks without food.
    eat. drink. shoot

  10. #310
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    7 anti rioting red trucks and 2 big police trucks seen sirening and speeding down Farrer.
    Anyone saw ? Could be leading to Whitney road

    Ryan

  11. #311
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    7 anti rioting red trucks and 2 big police trucks seen sirening and speeding down Farrer.
    Anyone saw ? Could be leading to Whitney road

    Ryan
    AFAIK, the red trucks are no longer in use as Anti-Riot vehicles, but are the vehicles used by SOC. They usually travel in groups of 4.

  12. #312
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    382

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    7 anti rioting red trucks and 2 big police trucks seen sirening and speeding down Farrer.
    Anyone saw ? Could be leading to Whitney road

    Ryan
    i see police cars flashing at amk centre.

  13. #313
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    382

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    AFAIK, the red trucks are no longer in use as Anti-Riot vehicles, but are the vehicles used by SOC. They usually travel in groups of 4.
    then what are the vehicle used by SOC called?

  14. #314
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by willdon View Post
    then what are the vehicle used by SOC called?
    Huh? Red SOC vehicles I guess?

  15. #315
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    382

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Huh? Red SOC vehicles I guess?
    Alamak...i thought you knew.

  16. #316
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by willdon View Post
    Alamak...i thought you knew.
    You mean they have to have a specific name?

  17. #317
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Local
    Posts
    1,609

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Thought Mas SELAMAT has entered Malaysia...
    The Malaysians have put up signs all over the country SELAMAT DATANG.

  18. #318
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by soma View Post
    Thought Mas SELAMAT has entered Malaysia...
    The Malaysians have put up signs all over the country SELAMAT DATANG.
    That's a good one!

  19. #319
    Senior Member harrynkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by soma View Post
    Thought Mas SELAMAT has entered Malaysia...
    The Malaysians have put up signs all over the country SELAMAT DATANG.
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

  20. #320

    Default Re: JI detainee does a prison break.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Hmm. Why is it that I read it yesterday's Straits Times that "any Interpol officer can arrest him on the spot"..?
    Hi I think you misread it. mypaper also said "The red alert means that any law enforcement office among the international police network's 186 member countries can help arrest him on the spot."

    It didn't say that ICPO has officers who will arrest him, but that police from member countries can help to arrest him.

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 61114151617182126 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •