Thread: Filter-on-filter

Default Filter-on-filter

Is there a way to do such a thing? Like using a filter on a lens, then on top of the first filter, put another filter? Is there such a thing or am I just being too ambitious?

Haha....

Default Re: Filter-on-filter

Quote Originally Posted by DJEnD View Post
    Is there a way to do such a thing? Like using a filter on a lens, then on top of the first filter, put another filter? Is there such a thing or am I just being too ambitious?

Haha....
    Nothing wrong except when using with wide angles, it may block the field of view of the lens if you stack too much and you will get vignetting. Also, take care of flare if the filters are not multicoated.

Like most of us, my lenses have a UV filter on. Then sometimes (if lazy) I slap a CPL on top of the UV. Some friends say OK, some say not !!!

it depends on the type of lens and type of filter.

if the filter is not coated, beware of lens flare (this: http://www.newmexicophotos.com/blog/...lens-flare.jpg), and reflections (within the filters)

also, if its a super WA lens, eg 12-24, 10-20 etc, there might be significant vignetting (http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/551...241055dds9.jpg)

for example, its fine using my hoya HMC filters stacked up (CPL+UV and possibly more) on my 80-200, but not on my 12-24

this is call stacking filters, most of the time is not recommendable. unless you know what effects you want to archive.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio