Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 volunteering.

Default Re: F1 volunteering.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Has anyone who have applied to be volunteers for the upcoming Singtel Singapore F1 received e-mail that they have been short-listed?
    do they provide food and drinks for volunteers ?

Hmmm

Just some clarification: unlike events like sff, events like f1 is clearly earning loads of cash, and you're not getting ANYTHING in return..

I know of people shooting for almost free at sff because it was a good experience to improve your portfolio..

You might argue that you'll get a chance to get close to the action, but no doubt, you're actually holding a duty appointment.. How if the race is on, and you're required to perform the duty?

I mean, tickets went as high as 4k for seating ones.. Even the government wants a pie slice by imposing hotel levy..

Sorry once again. Was just thinking outloud a moment ago..

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    do they provide food and drinks for volunteers ?
    Yes.

"3. VOLUNTEERS ENTITLEMENTS
    1. Every volunteer will be given 3 sets of exclusive Event apparel to be worn on Event days.
    2. Meals will be provided on Event days.
    3. Community Involvement Programme (CIP) hours can be claimed where applicable."

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    Hmmm

Just some clarification: unlike events like sff, events like f1 is clearly earning loads of cash, and you're not getting ANYTHING in return..

I know of people shooting for almost free at sff because it was a good experience to improve your portfolio..

You might argue that you'll get a chance to get close to the action, but no doubt, you're actually holding a duty appointment.. How if the race is on, and you're required to perform the duty?

I mean, tickets went as high as 4k for seating ones.. Even the government wants a pie slice by imposing hotel levy..

Sorry once again. Was just thinking outloud a moment ago..
    The volunteers come under the national sanctioning authority for motorsports, in this case SMSA.

Not everything is always about the money. You would volunteer because you feel you can contribute, not stand there and get a free pass to merely gawk. A race marshal is not a light responsibility, like those let-downs at Singapore Airshow.
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 28th February 2008 at 02:46 AM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

.[*]Community Involvement Programme (CIP) hours can be claimed where applicable."[/LIST]
    lots of student might go for this i guess

As for those who questioned why one would volunteer oneself to an event that generates millions of dollars, well, this is something that only a fan of F1 would understand. It stems from the feeling of being part and at the center of the event, being able to contribute to the race, being able to be in the thick of the action. Wah! Shoik la!

Personally, I have this dream that if any one of the F1 teams would hire me just to do the tyre change during pit stops, I would gladly take a year's sabbatical to be part of the F1 'circus.' Travel to all the F1 tracks around the world, absorb the atmosphere (and also the tension) of the races, see the race queens, etc. Again, some would say that this dream of mine is foolish. Who would want to change car tyres? For me, I would gladly change F1 tyres.

I guess that one man's meat is another man's poison. Just like the rest of the things in this world.

As for those who questioned why one would volunteer oneself to an event that generates millions of dollars, well, this is something that only a fan of F1 would understand. It stems from the feeling of being part and at the center of the event, being able to contribute to the race, being able to be in the thick of the action. Wah! Shoik la!

Personally, I have this dream that if any one of the F1 teams would hire me just to do the tyre change during pit stops, I would gladly take a year's sabbatical to be part of the F1 'circus.' Travel to all the F1 tracks around the world, absorb the atmosphere (and also the tension) of the races, see the race queens, etc. Again, some would say that this dream of mine is foolish. Who would want to change car tyres? For me, I would gladly change F1 tyres.

I guess that one man's meat is another man's poison. Just like the rest of the things in this world.

Well said, bro
    If you take out the commercial part of it and do the task just because you love doing it, then its just pure unadulterated fun.

I would want to be a volunteer too, but not for the Singapore F1 GP. Never.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

well said... bravo.

i don't mind holding the "lollipop" although i risk getting run down by people like Montoya... it's part and parcel of the job.

but what the hell, it's a privilege just to be on track. most people will never understand the passion for motorsports. btw, i bet those pit-crews are armed with PHDs and are paid handsomely.

oh... i haven't receive any email from them either. i guess maybe not qualified... *damn*
    Last edited by mohgui; 28th February 2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    Well said, bro
    Thanks for the support, asterixsg.

I would want to be a volunteer too, but not for the Singapore F1 GP. Never.
    Why not? Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    well said... bravo.
    Thanks, mohgui.

i don't mind holding the "lollipop" although i risk getting run down by people like Montoya... it's part and parcel of the job. but what the hell, it's a privilege just to be on track. most people will never understand the passion for motorsports. btw, i bet those pit-crews are armed with PHDs and are paid handsomely.
    You are right on that. Everyone inside the pits are highly qualified.

oh... i haven't receive any email from them either. i guess maybe not qualified... *damn*
    Huh! Have not received? What position did you apply for?
    Last edited by Canew; 28th February 2008 at 09:00 PM.

I signed up. Wanted to be part of the team to do this the first time in singapore. Sadly, they have not got back to me..

Heard there was someone with some experience organizing gokart that was selected to go for training overseas. He is also involved in the Melbourne GP. So shiok. I'm envious but I guess he had the relevant experience. Think he has to come back and train the rest of the volunteers..

Thanks for the support, asterixsg.

Why not? Care to elaborate?
    ok, this is for personal reasons. but bro, since you asked, i've sent you a PM.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

email confirmation received liao... wooohooo!!!

who else here have received theirs?

here is the email i received...

Dear Sir/Mdm,

We are pleased to inform that you have been short listed as an Official for the 2008 FORMULA 1™ SingTel Singapore Grand Prix. As an Official, you will be required to assume roles as volunteers to help out during the event.

Do REPLY this email with a confirmation that you accept the position stated above.

Please look out on the website (www.singaporegp.sg) for the updated training schedule and all other updates. Do note that you should keep yourself free for the dates mentioned, as all trainings are compulsory to attend.

All short listed Officials will be required to pass the e-module before being confirmed. More information on the e-module will be sent at a later date. Kindly look out for updates through email (and also in your Junk mail).

Thank you and best regards.

M****** P**
    On behalf of Race Committee
    2008 FORMULA 1™ SingTel Singapore Grand Prix
    Last edited by mohgui; 28th February 2008 at 11:46 PM.

Dear Sir/Mdm,

We are pleased to inform that you have been short listed as an Official for the 2008 FORMULA 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix. As an Official, you will be required to assume roles as volunteers to help out during the event.

Do REPLY this email with a confirmation that you accept the position stated above.

Please look out on the website (www.singaporegp.sg) for the updated training schedule and all other updates. Do note that you should keep yourself free for the dates mentioned, as all trainings are compulsory to attend.

All short listed Officials will be required to pass the e-module before being confirmed. More information on the e-module will be sent at a later date. Kindly look out for updates through email (and also in your Junk mail).

M****** P**
    2008 FORMULA 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix
    What role did you go for? When did you receive your mail? Dun think they'll select me

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    What role did you go for? When did you receive your mail? Dun think they'll select me
    i applied for:

1. Pit Lane & Grid Marshals
    2. Track Marshals
    3. Boundary Riders

email was sent out on 27/02/08 @ 12pm. i only checked my mailbox tonight.

i applied for:

1. Pit Lane & Grid Marshals
    2. Track Marshals
    3. Boundary Riders

email was sent out on 27/02/08 @ 12pm. i only checked my mailbox tonight.
    Looks like I cannot leow..
    Want to buy ticket but now scared end up like Air Show.

Dear Sir/Mdm,

We are pleased to inform that you have been short listed as an Official for the 2008 FORMULA 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix. As an Official, you will be required to assume roles as volunteers to help out during the event.

M****** P**
    2008 FORMULA 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix
    Congrats Bro. I have also received the mail.

Anyone else received theirs?

Congrats Bro. I have also received the mail.

Anyone else received theirs?
    same to you bro. can't wait for the SG leg to come. see you at the briefing dude

canew and mohgui,
    happy for both of you
    hope you thoroughly enjoy the race while assuming responsibility for your tasks.

canew and mohgui,
    happy for both of you
    hope you thoroughly enjoy the race while assuming responsibility for your tasks.
    Thanks for your well wishes, Bro.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast