Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 volunteering.

Default Re: F1 volunteering.

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post

To all,
    I was in lecture room 3.2 on Sat. Didn't go on Sunday coz I'm communications and don't need the training. Anyone in the same class?
    Communications is one role I look up and respect! I salute you! Our lives will depend on you and what you send and receive so drink more honey before the race, cannot lose your voice hor?
    Last edited by kiasi; 3rd August 2008 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiasi View Post
    I'm not sure if you have ever been to sepang F1 race before, there are no women track marshals as far as I know. I don't know if the singapore women marshals are naive or they really know what they are in for. All those in my group also share the same opinion, I'm not the only one with that opinion, hahahahaha! They couldn't even climp over the metal barrier, hahahaha!
    i don't know... maybe some of them got changed to Track from some other positions. i overheard a girl lamenting that she applied for Comms but somehow ended as a Trackie. this is more or less what i heard... she mentioned she applied for a position which don't required her to be under the blistering sun.

however, do not quick to judge the others. some of the girls i know (Trackies) are quite gung-ho lah.

then again... under the hot sun and the work expected, i personally think this the Track Marshal is more of a guy's job. after today's training, i don't see how a girl can withstand the demands of a Trackie.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Who wants to get into the F1 grounds without spending a single cent on tickets and without risking your life as a track marshal? I got lobang...

Here is how you do it, and you will BE PAID to do it, don't say I never share lobang, here you go: http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&cd=10

From: http://fia.com/automotive/issue10/sport/article2.html

Monaco is one of the most challenging circuits in the world and this is just as much the case for the organisers as it is for the drivers. This is why Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM) gathers together a huge operation of 600-plus trackside staff to marshal the event.

This equates to double the amount of marshals used at a Grand Prix circuit. The man in charge of this major task, Jean-Michel Matas, Vice President of the ACM’s Collège des Commissaires, explains: “The Monaco circuit is unlike any other in Formula One.”

He adds: “There is a small distance between the spectators and the cars, no run-off areas, and no space for tractors to remove grounded cars from the track. So the marshals are the essential component for trackside safety.”

Planning for the race begins six months in advance. Each year, around 40 to 50 new staff join the team, replacing the few who have left or were considered not up to the high standards expected by the ACM.

Monaco Grand Prix 2007

Total Trackside Staff 619
    Intervention Marshals 281
    Intervention Chiefs 43
    Fire Marshals 85
    Professional Firemen 80
    Flag Marshals 60
    Communication Marshals 30
    Pit Marshals 27
    Admin and other staff 13

The entire planning for the Grand Prix is handled by an 18-man organising committee. Led by President Bernard Richelmi, the board consists of three vice-presidents and 15 members. Each member is in charge of a different commission which oversee a specific area of planning such as the supply of equipment or logistics.

The members are all volunteers who take on the job because of their passion for motor sport. The board also organises other motor racing events in Monaco such as the FIA World Rally Championship event, historic rallying and karting.

The entire board meets once a month and there are also regular commission meetings. Matas, who has been part of the Grand Prix organising committee for 35 years, is tasked with training and supervising the marshals.

The most important stage of training is a two-day instruction for all marshals, which takes place in a vast excavation quarry just outside Monaco. Matas says: “We instruct everyone for the full range of marshal services from intervention and fire to use of the cranes.”

The most essential part of this training involves moving a replica car without use of other machinery. This is important because it is often the only way to remove a grounded car from Monaco’s tight street course.

Matas says: “We work a lot on moving the cars on wheels. To instruct this we use a replica car, the same size and weight as an F1 car. We try to be as real as possible. We practice moving these cars around a course in different configurations.”

Matas also takes the marshals through videos of the previous year’s race, instructing them on what they did right and wrong.

The ACM provides clothing and equipment for every one of the 600-plus staff, from electricians and technicians to doctors and intervention staff. Thousands of items of clothing are stored in a huge aircraft hangar and it takes one full day to distribute.

The 619 trackside staff at this year’s Grand Prix included 281 intervention marshals, 85 fire marshals and 80 local professional firemen. They are split into 43 separate units, each headed by an intervention chief.

Again, all the marshals are volunteers. The ACM pays for expenses and lunch and invites everyone to a party in June at the Monaco Sporting Club, especially for those who worked on the event. But the marshals do not take on the job for these perks. They do it for their passion for motor sport and specifically the Monaco Grand Prix.

ACM President Michel Boeri plays a very hands-on role in this process and personally seeks to instil a sense of pride into every member of the team.

Matas says: “It’s a question of spirit. Michel Boeri is very supportive – he always wants the marshals to be a strong unit because they shine the image of Monaco. All our marshals are very proud.”
    Last edited by kiasi; 7th August 2008 at 09:43 PM.

How it's going to be like in singapore...the noise

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsjtMhl9uno
    Last edited by kiasi; 7th August 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Want to know why they tell track marshals don't touch a F1 driver? This is why, LOL! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogC1w_RAnxU

Get used to this...it may happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9xz3lFiSxU

Hi i believe for the esplanade bridge turn 14 the race will be run on the left side, i.e. in the flow of traffic. Notice that the lights are build up on tat side.

For turn 15 to work, after the bridge, there are some removable road dividers. These will be removed for the weekend, which will lead the cars diagonally across to the braking area for turn 15.

Meaning to say...at some parts of the track the cars will be following the arrows painted on the roads and at other parts of the track they will be going AGAINST them..

Yes but as an f1 driver/racing driver u aren't distracted by lane markings and arrows. The lane markings do not present the perfect racing line. E.g. Look at australia's melbourne park and monaco.

However another thing to point out is that the lane markings are slippery in the wet and the drivers have to be careful not to put the wheels on the lane markings as they have different grip levels from the black tarmac. Look out for drivers spinning on the markings in wet weather.

If you guys look carefully at the circuit, there are many ways someone without a ticket can sneak in without paying. I'm sure those of you who attended the 2007 Air Show will remember that those without tickets managed to sneak in because the staff were outnumbered and when the confusion and chaos got out of hand. Anyone still remember? Somemore this time the F1 race will be at night and the entire CBD area is so big, sure can sneak in as a walkabout ticket holder...I don't think the ticket check will be 100% foolproof.

Erm the circuit park entrances are like those mrt gates or those found in large commercial building. Scan the ticket in the barcode and the gate opens. There are specified gates, while the rest of the areas are surrounded by park fences. As for staff working inside the compounds of the circuit park, they are issued passes to enter. Perhaps those staff are the few who will watch the race for free.

I see, but the police will not cordon the area until the following morning before race day, so if anyone wants to enter the circuit without paying for a walkabout ticket, he can just go to any spot along the walkabout route the night before they close the roads and then camp overnight in a hidden spot undetected and come out when the coast is clear...I think sure got people will try to attempt that...especially since it is not illegal to access the walkabout areas the night before since it is still open to public as the race haven't start yet.

Oh but in the compounds u have to display ur lanyard (neck strap) and ticket at all times. They have their own ways.

All singapore F1 volunteer track marshals! do you want to see how the cars will be travelling on the track on race day? This is NOT the google map or EarthSG virtual 3D map that you have prbably seen before, but a SUPER REALISTIC virtual representation in night conditions that you have NEVER seen before, just released yesterday. MUST SEE for all singapore F1 marshals! http://www.visitsingapore.com/racer
    Last edited by kiasi; 11th August 2008 at 12:55 PM.

thanks for the info. tried the track... very twisty and narrow. needs getting use to... guess it's the same for all street circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    thanks for the info. tried the track... very twisty and narrow. needs getting use to... guess it's the same for all street circuit.
    you tried it already? Very dangerous right? That's why all the marshals at the turns please be very careful, I have a feeling something bad is going to happen at this night race...

Quote Originally Posted by kiasi View Post
    you tried it already? Very dangerous right? That's why all the marshals at the turns please be very careful, I have a feeling something bad is going to happen at this night race...
    every motorsport is dangerous lah... not only F1 in SG. and i do agree with you that the SG circuit is very dangerous. there're hardly any run-off areas for cars. if the driver screws up... it's into the barriers he goes.

but let's not jinx the race. let's hope that nothing bad will happen.

as marshals, for the interest of our own safety, we ought to follow instructions and be vigilant at all times. i'm sure there will be people who think that they are smarter than others... please spare a thought or two lah.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast