Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: Getting a 400D

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Smile Getting a 400D

    Hi Everybody!

    Im a newbie in CS and very new to DSLR. I’m kinda used to Canon’s system.. I’d a Powershot A85 but sadly enough it went ‘dead” after 2yrs and it’ll cost me abt $200 to get the screen repaired…. And so I got a Powershot A570 IS and it has been serving me very well since the last 4mths….. Anyways, I’ve been eyeing on 400D since the first time my eyes set on it abt 1yr+ ago.. I’ve had my hands on trying the 400D from my friend and I feel comfortable holding it since I’ve small hands. My aim is to get the 400D once after the release of 450D as im pretty sure the price of 400D will drop… Therefore I need some advice or tips or recommendation before I purchase the set…
    Budget wise is abt $1350 or lesser!!
    I like to take different kind of photos like sceneries, buildings, portraits, macro…

    1. Should I get it with the kit lens 18-55mm or get the body and get a Tamron lens?

    2. What abt grey set and local set? If anyone could explain more abt that… and how would I trust/know when i want to purchase from the shop..

    3. Recommendations of any good cust service shops with good deals??

    4. Any rough idea when will be the release of 450D cause I cant wait to get my hands on my 400D!! =D

    Need ur advise here!! Thanks a lot in advance!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    I actually recommend you go to the Marketplace section here. Lots of deals for Canon DSLR systems.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I actually recommend you go to the Marketplace section here. Lots of deals for Canon DSLR systems.
    Thanks Rashkae.... seen alot of deals for 400D there but would prefer to get it from shops than online..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by imsimplicity View Post
    Hi Everybody!
    1. Should I get it with the kit lens 18-55mm or get the body and get a Tamron lens?

    2. What abt grey set and local set? If anyone could explain more abt that… and how would I trust/know when i want to purchase from the shop..

    3. Recommendations of any good cust service shops with good deals??

    4. Any rough idea when will be the release of 450D cause I cant wait to get my hands on my 400D!! =D

    Need ur advise here!! Thanks a lot in advance!!
    1) Hmm... I'm using the kit and am quite satisfied with it.. When the 450D comes out and all the dusts settles, im guessing that the price of kit compared to body-only would be only a few bucks.. Best to get the kit first, then get the tamron when you feel more comfortable with all the gear.

    2)Local set has "official" warranty from canon singapore. Grey set means the warranty is (usually) with the shop itself, and when something goes wrong, you give the shop, they will send back to (HK/Jap/Taiwan..ETC) to fix, and give it back to you.

    3)Personally, I don't care abt service (All horrible anyway ), So just do some research on the price by calling around the place, and buy the cheapest! Look at the Body-Price thread in the canon forum to find a list of "reputable" shops.

    4)450D release ler.. Just not on sale yet. This one off the top of my head I cant remember when. I'll let someone else answer.

    400d
    Meow!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Thanks for advise Gavin!

    1. Yeah, thought of that too... will get the kit lens first... still learning abt what lens for what kind of shoot....

    2. so i guess its best to get local set yeah...

  6. #6
    Member MarkTan89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boon Keng
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    My recommendation is that if you've got the cash why not go straight for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens with your 400D body. Cause I think you would eventually want to upgrade to a proper lens. You'd be very set with this combination for general purpose use.

    A good shop to buy from with excellent customer service is John 3:16, Funan IT Mall, 5th floor.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTan89 View Post
    My recommendation is that if you've got the cash why not go straight for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens with your 400D body. Cause I think you would eventually want to upgrade to a proper lens. You'd be very set with this combination for general purpose use.

    A good shop to buy from with excellent customer service is John 3:16, Funan IT Mall, 5th floor.
    Thanks Mark!!
    hmmm... still have time to change my mind later... i'll be going around survey-ing the camera...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Like others have said, for your lens choice, get the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 if you've got a bit more money to spare. If not, get the 400D + kitlens (18-55mm) plus a 50mm f/1.8II prime (50mm @ S$110 only). The prime lens above is the cheapest and most bang-for-buck lens ever. A lot of people own it, and I believe all beginning canon dslr shooters should own one 50mm f/1.8.

    Local set = Local warranty = Free servicing at CSC (if / when needed) for the warranty time
    Grey set = No warranty = Servicing will cost you

    I find that warranties do help out especially if you travel often or use your shoot often.

    Good shops? I believe the following 3 are great shops: Cathay Photo (Peninsular Plaza / Marina Square), MS Color (AMK Hub / AMK Blk 711) and John 3:16 (Funan IT Mall).

    There is a rumor mill going on that the 450D will be released as early as 1 or 2 weeks away. But from the lack of updates from Canon, I don't think that'll be coming. Probably a month or 2 away. If you have the money right now, just get the 400D.

    Hope this helps =)
    Our pictures are our footprints. It’s the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Like others have said, for your lens choice, get the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 if you've got a bit more money to spare. If not, get the 400D + kitlens (18-55mm) plus a 50mm f/1.8II prime (50mm @ S$110 only). The prime lens above is the cheapest and most bang-for-buck lens ever. A lot of people own it, and I believe all beginning canon dslr shooters should own one 50mm f/1.8.

    Local set = Local warranty = Free servicing at CSC (if / when needed) for the warranty time
    Grey set = No warranty = Servicing will cost you

    I find that warranties do help out especially if you travel often or use your shoot often.

    Good shops? I believe the following 3 are great shops: Cathay Photo (Peninsular Plaza / Marina Square), MS Color (AMK Hub / AMK Blk 711) and John 3:16 (Funan IT Mall).

    There is a rumor mill going on that the 450D will be released as early as 1 or 2 weeks away. But from the lack of updates from Canon, I don't think that'll be coming. Probably a month or 2 away. If you have the money right now, just get the 400D.

    Hope this helps =)
    Hey Headshotzx!!

    Thanks alot for the great advise!! im sure it'll be of good use for later...
    New Tamron will cost abt $600+ right? that's over my budget for a beginner and newbie like me...
    i guess i'll just get the kit lens first then saving up and to get the Tamron or other lens.....

    and 50mm f/1.8II prime?? what does it do? hmmmmmm.....

  10. #10

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Get it ASAP! Period.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by juzshoot View Post
    Get it ASAP! Period.
    i'll sure will do Juzshoot!!! Thanks!! :-D

  12. #12

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by imsimplicity View Post
    Hey Headshotzx!!

    Thanks alot for the great advise!! im sure it'll be of good use for later...
    New Tamron will cost abt $600+ right? that's over my budget for a beginner and newbie like me...
    i guess i'll just get the kit lens first then saving up and to get the Tamron or other lens.....

    and 50mm f/1.8II prime?? what does it do? hmmmmmm.....
    50mm is a prime lens in a sense that you can't zoom in and out (focal length set at 50mm). This is a very good lens esp for portraits and indoor shoots with minimal lighting as it has a big aperture at f1.8. very reliable. my favourite lens!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD : CP $695 / TK $660 / MS $688 (inc. GST) / AP-F $670 / AP-S $645 / Lord $630 / OP $612 (international warranty)
    50mm f/1.8II Review @ TDP

    17-50mm f/2.8 Review @ TDP

    400D kit1 + 50mm f/1.8II will get you started. I find that the 50mm almost never leaves my camera body when I go to certain events / occasions, and I leave my L lens behind.

    Got a family event going on? What about bbqs at a chalet? Mount the cheap 50mm on and off you go. It performs well in low light, is cheap to build, and if you ever drop it or anything (hope not) it'll be.. less expensive to replace.
    Our pictures are our footprints. It’s the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by edarkflame View Post
    50mm is a prime lens in a sense that you can't zoom in and out (focal length set at 50mm). This is a very good lens esp for portraits and indoor shoots with minimal lighting as it has a big aperture at f1.8. very reliable. my favourite lens!
    Thanks Edarkflame for the info!! Appreciate it alot! =D

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    50mm f/1.8II Review @ TDP

    17-50mm f/2.8 Review @ TDP

    400D kit1 + 50mm f/1.8II will get you started. I find that the 50mm almost never leaves my camera body when I go to certain events / occasions, and I leave my L lens behind.

    Got a family event going on? What about bbqs at a chalet? Mount the cheap 50mm on and off you go. It performs well in low light, is cheap to build, and if you ever drop it or anything (hope not) it'll be.. less expensive to replace.
    Appreciate the information there Headshotzx!! I cant wait to get my own 400D after receiving the replies!!
    The link u gave was very useful for me!! thanks for that yeah!!

  16. #16
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Agree with the others..... go for a Body + Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. You won't have a longer zoom.... but it will be enough for most shoot. Btw.... instead of a 50mm f1.8, save money and get the better built 50mm f1.4 USM......

    Best of luck And welcome to the 'Club'

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Agree with the others..... go for a Body + Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. You won't have a longer zoom.... but it will be enough for most shoot. Btw.... instead of a 50mm f1.8, save money and get the better built 50mm f1.4 USM......

    Best of luck And welcome to the 'Club'
    Hi Diver-hloc!!
    Thank u for the recommendation... i guess i will have to start slow and keep on saving money to get better lenses...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Quote Originally Posted by imsimplicity View Post
    Hi Diver-hloc!!
    Thank u for the recommendation... i guess i will have to start slow and keep on saving money to get better lenses...
    That's the spirit!! Steel yourselves from the horrific BBB (buy-buy-buy) virus!! Haha..

    In all seriousness though, a basic and cheap kit will allow you to see a trend of your shots, and then you can decide on better lenses from then on =)
    Our pictures are our footprints. It’s the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  19. #19

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    I just in a dilemma right now between buying D40 or the 400D, because I heard that the 400D got problem with underexposure problem occasionally, and I also heard that 400D pic is too soft compared to D40, and my final complain is that 400d don't have auto iso (only auto 100-400). But in the other hand D40 don't have motor in body. How about noise which one is better?? is the rumor true about the underexposure problem and don't have auto iso till 1600??? please help me to solve my dilemma. Thx.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: Getting a 400D

    Canon doesn't offer auto ISO, while Nikon does.
    The AF system is integrated onto the Canon body, while Nikon offers it on its lenses.
    Softness (Non-Sharpness) is dependent on the lenses, not the camera body.
    Our pictures are our footprints. It’s the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •