Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 40D or 450D for Baby Pictures?

Default Re: Canon 40D or 450D for Baby Pictures?

Hi Jadefox,

thanks for sharing your views too as i am caught between canon and nikon.

As i have friends on both sides; hence i hear different comments
    But i guess the bottom line is, i must feel comfy when i handle the camera.
    So far i feel the grip and handling is rather good for Nikon but Canon 400D does not feel as good. I have yet to feel a 40D; but it is over my budget.

One of my friend is willing to part his 350D + kit lens EF-S 18-55 + EF 28-135 lens, bag, memory cards for 750 SGD. Shutter count is approximately 10k.

Or I might be looking at 400D and D80 seriously.

Btw thanks to all gurus in sharing your views and advice on FPS and other valuable info!

Cheers & with confusion and frustration,
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jadefox View Post
    Hi seanray!

No worries. I'm also here to learn.

I have also seriously considered the D40/X, D60 which are also very capable in reviews (dpreview, kenrockwell). They have the added benefit of being cheaper as well. The main obstacle for me is the lack of AF-S primes for them. The choice between a D80 and a Canon was decided in my case due to the presence of a Canon enthusiast friend that I can consult/borrow lenses/buy-2nd-hand from.

If you have no such considerations, it might come down to getting a feel for your different options by handling them and choosing you that which you feel most comfortable with.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers to taking photos of first-everythings!

unless you want to shoot with available light only, or get very narrow DOF effect, else it will not be necessary to get a prime lens with large aperture.

all you need is a camera can response fast, no shutter lag
    a lens can focus fast. can focus close.
    a ext powerful flash able to do bounce light
    plus a fast finger and lots of patient.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If you want fast focusing, recommend to get a prime lens like 35mm or 50mm.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Hi Jadefox, Ray & all,

If you have small hands like me, a 350D + kit lens EF-S 18-55 II is good enough for kids photo. Been using them to take pictures of my 2 daughters since 2005. Bought the camera new and shot over 30K shoots for them only. Had a 50mm f/1.4 and many other lenses. Sold them all. Still find the EF-S 18-55 II still the best as it is small, light weight and good contrast and colour. Always use available light at outdoors and especially indoor at ISO 1600. Hardly use flash as my wife do not allow. May spoil their eyes being so young. You never know.....

A good feel of the body is important to keep the interest to take good picture. Unless you are like me who takes anything. I still like big bodies for certian work. Regardless what system, deeply I feel is the person behind the camera that is more important with proper knowledge and skill to make do with whatever they have.

Quote Originally Posted by seanray View Post
    Hi Jadefox,

thanks for sharing your views too as i am caught between canon and nikon.

As i have friends on both sides; hence i hear different comments
    But i guess the bottom line is, i must feel comfy when i handle the camera.
    So far i feel the grip and handling is rather good for Nikon but Canon 400D does not feel as good. I have yet to feel a 40D; but it is over my budget.

One of my friend is willing to part his 350D + kit lens EF-S 18-55 + EF 28-135 lens, bag, memory cards for 750 SGD. Shutter count is approximately 10k.

Or I might be looking at 400D and D80 seriously.

Btw thanks to all gurus in sharing your views and advice on FPS and other valuable info!

Cheers & with confusion and frustration,
    Ray
    My advice is that go for a camera which feels good in your hands (some people may feel Nikon better, some Canon, some Sony, some Pentax, some Olympus, they are all good cameras technically, so it boils down to your own subjective decision). You are the one who is going to take the pictures, not someone else. If you feel the camera handles well in your hands, you will be more confident to get a good shot.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 28th February 2008 at 11:45 AM.

[QUOTE=lsisaxon;3808300]My advice is that go for a camera which feels good in your hands (some people may feel Nikon better, some Canon, some Sony, some Pentax, some Olympus, they are all good cameras technically, so it boils down to your own subjective decision). You are the one who is going to take the pictures, not someone else. If you feel the camera handles well in your hands, you will be more confident to get a good shot.[/QUOTE
    Hi Isisaxon,

Thanks for the advice.
    I have personally held D40x, D80 and Canon 400 in my hands.
    I felt Nikon feels better in terms of grip; then again i might not have the right grip.

frankly, i am more inclined to Nikons but as a new users i have the luxury to choose compared to users who had purchase their system; as it will be horrendous for them to switch.
    Btw, i read that you changed from Nikon to Canon, pardon me if i mistaken you as that person.

However in my earlier thread the 350D offer with lens that i mentioned seems like a good deal. the kit lens is non-IS but the 28-135 is with IS

Cheers,
    Ray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12