Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

  1. #21

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    No university is better than SHK (School of Hard Knocks) in ULE (University of Life Experience).

    I am a proud graduate.

    Maybe LBU is better. "Long Bia" University. 撞墙打学。

  2. #22

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    No matter how good you are in any top university, it all depends on the opportunity you get, the heart and effort you put in your work & the PR skills you build up in UNIVERSITY of Society~社会大学

    oh, i graduated from NTU~ hehe.
    sometimes i wonder if it is worth it

    working so hard just to get that extra headstart in life.. sometimes it is not all that substantial anyways, for most

    but most popular employers would be, let's face it, using university results/classifications and university itself as a first line of selection. especially in bad times.. most ibanking corporations here will happily throw you into the rejection pile if you can't get a 2nd upper or better.

  3. #23

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sometimes i wonder if it is worth it

    working so hard just to get that extra headstart in life.. sometimes it is not all that substantial anyways, for most

    but most popular employers would be, let's face it, using university results/classifications and university itself as a first line of selection. especially in bad times.. most ibanking corporations here will happily throw you into the rejection pile if you can't get a 2nd upper or better.
    Ya, true bro. Just a "upper" may promised just a good headstart and may climb faster. But if the PR (especially boasting) don't works well, and all a person have to do is just 1 mistake that the boss don't like, that's it. When recession comes, this person's head will roll from a few thousand metres higher than the rest and the fall will be even worse.

    Bosses are human too. They like to judge too... And not all their judgement is correct.

    Anyway, just make sure if you want to study, get the right course.
    hmm... should i get another degree???

  4. #24

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    you wanna know how good nus business school is? just look at the bosses of Odex and how they construct their business model

  5. #25

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    also dunnoe if nayone has seen this: NUS tried to advertise in the US and position itself as a good alternative to american uni. They produced an ad showing an american girl at home with her mom receiving 2 acceptance letters one from U of chicago and the other from NUS and the ad showed her picking nus over u of chicago and being extremely excited that she got into NUS. The ad just made me lmao. I'll all for advertising and competition and puffing in such that you claim to be better than your competition but the nus ad was just ridiculous since it was overreaching and claiming it was better and more prestigious than a very well known american school.
    Last edited by garou12; 27th February 2008 at 11:20 AM.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    also dunnoe if nayone has seen this: NUS tried to advertise in the US ...
    In the local newspapers, NUS/NTU/SMU/... advertisements appear along cosmetics, fashion, and supermarket ads. The message this sends to me is that the universities see education as a cheap consumer commodity they can sell, and that they don't have the dignity or self-respect that befits an academic enterprise wanting to be taken seriously. Good schools should be able to focus quietly on their teaching and research mission and attract students by reputation, not by full-page ads in tabloids.

  7. #27

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    In the local newspapers, NUS/NTU/SMU/... advertisements appear along cosmetics, fashion, and supermarket ads. The message this sends to me is that the universities see education as a cheap consumer commodity they can sell, and that they don't have the dignity or self-respect that befits an academic enterprise wanting to be taken seriously. Good schools should be able to focus quietly on their teaching and research mission and attract students by reputation, not by full-page ads in tabloids.
    agreed.

  8. #28
    Senior Member harrynkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    3,650

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    it teaches u who is Edison Chen.

    got theory and hand on or OJT to Hong Kong or US?
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

  9. #29

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    also dunnoe if nayone has seen this: NUS tried to advertise in the US and position itself as a good alternative to american uni. They produced an ad showing an american girl at home with her mom receiving 2 acceptance letters one from U of chicago and the other from NUS and the ad showed her picking nus over u of chicago and being extremely excited that she got into NUS. The ad just made me lmao. I'll all for advertising and competition and puffing in such that you claim to be better than your competition but the nus ad was just ridiculous since it was overreaching and claiming it was better and more prestigious than a very well known american school.
    no no no

    it was WHARTON

    she rejected WHARTON for nus because got cuter boys in nus!

  10. #30
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    24,053
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: NUS is not top choice for Singaporeans anymore even foreigners....

    it seems that all the post are not based on fact

    so this is going nowhere and shall be closed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •