Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings... Would like to seek advise from the ladies photographers here...

Default Re: Greetings... Would like to seek advise from the ladies photographers here...

lighter tripod can be found in freebie promotion but i suggest that u better get a slight heavier tripod so as to have more stabilibity ...

Default Re: Greetings... Would like to seek advise from the ladies photographers here...

Quote Originally Posted by oTaRu View Post
    lighter tripod can be found in freebie promotion but i suggest that u better get a slight heavier tripod so as to have more stabilibity ...
    That tripod I got with my 400D free last time.. Let's just say I occasionally use it to hang my towel.. I don't dare to put my camera on it ler.. Suddenly the camera will fly off the hinge, and I will get a heart attack.
    Meow!

i'm using a canon 350d. was torn between getting the nikon d40 and that. but when i tried carrying nikon d40 for a long period of time, wrist almost died. i think nikon frames are heavier (tougher? more durable?) as compared to canon.

have some problems with my wrist. if i carry heavy things for too long or strain it, i lose sensation and then strength in it. therefore, 350d was the lightest and the best weight that my wrist could handle.

:x this makes me sound like some weakling.

I know a lady friend who is very happy with her Canon 400D.

My officemate's wife just got an A200. She's very happy with it
    Alpha

if weight wise only.
    sony's A200 is really light, feels like a toy in your hand.
    i want to take great photos!!!

Quote Originally Posted by illiriel View Post
    i'm using a canon 350d. was torn between getting the nikon d40 and that. but when i tried carrying nikon d40 for a long period of time, wrist almost died. i think nikon frames are heavier (tougher? more durable?) as compared to canon.

have some problems with my wrist. if i carry heavy things for too long or strain it, i lose sensation and then strength in it. therefore, 350d was the lightest and the best weight that my wrist could handle.

How can that be? Fragnatic's table in post #16 shows that the D40 is about 18g lighter than the 350D with and without battery. Might be your hand is small and D40 has a larger grip which stresses your fingers.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 27th February 2008 at 05:28 PM.

mine's a D80, its quite heavy but i can adjust to the weight. just that i need to find a better camera bag instead of dumping it in my tote bag everywhere i go! it cuts my shoulders..

i suggest going down to shops and try out the weight. D40x and D40 are really light, i almost bought it due to its light weight. i've tried 400D before, but can't grip well.
    Last edited by msbinary; 27th February 2008 at 05:14 PM.
    carpe diem!

IT Show is just next week. You can try out all the different types at the show under one roof.
    I'm a guy and I'm thinking of getting the 450D

I don't want to be alarmist, but this sounds rather unusual. The D40 is not that heavy and I doubt you fitted a bazooka lens. Maybe you could to see your doctor to rule out nerve damage? Just in case. Better safe than sorry, methinks. Anyway, I seldom carry the camera everywhere I go. My usual way is to use a sling camera bag, put the camera strap around my neck and rest the camera on the bag. That way the camera doesn't strain my neck, and the strap keeps the camera from an unfortunate meeting with the floor. When a shot presents itself, I simply reach down and raise the camera to my eye.

I'm using the Olympus E510, btw. I feel it fits my hand very well. I like the tele end of lenses, so the 2x crop is more of a boon for me, though some may violently disagree if they like wides.
    Last edited by Kirika; 27th February 2008 at 05:29 PM.

the D40/x is lighter than the 350/400D.
    but the D40/x grip is larger than the 350/400D.

so the canon ones might be better for those with small hands. since it shd feel better and lighter when the the grip is comfortable in ur hands.
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

450D should be the one to go for...

Quote Originally Posted by Fragnatic View Post
    do note that the D40/x/D60 has no built-in AF drive motor, thus for AF, AF-S and AF-I lenses are required.

canon 450D has live view too. but if u want u still gotta wait (for now).

anw, just some weight specifications:

Nikon D40 - 471g (no batt), 522g (w/ batt)
    Nikon D40X - 471g (no batt), 522g (w/ batt)
    Nikon D60 - 471g (no batt), 522g (w/batt)
    Nikon D70s - 585g (no batt), 679g (w/ batt)
    Nikon D80 - 595g (no batt), 668g (w/ batt)
    Canon EOS 350D - 490g (no batt), 540g (w/ batt + CF)
    Canon EOS 400D - 514g (no batt), 556g (w/ batt + CF)
    Canon EOS 450D - 475g (no batt)
    Olympus E-410 - 375g (no batt), 435g (w/ batt)
    Sony A300 - 582g (no batt)
    Sony A350 - 582g (no batt)

of cos, these numbers mean almost nth. best to go try out and feel the weight, grip, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Earendill View Post
    IT Show is just next week. You can try out all the different types at the show under one roof.
    I'm a guy and I'm thinking of getting the 450D
    Quote Originally Posted by tUx View Post
    450D should be the one to go for...
    Quote Originally Posted by uyiew View Post
    Canon 450d mi gonna get one whn its out
    Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post
    The lens will play a bigger part on the weight if 'good zoom lenses' are what you intend to use it with. A vast majority of the 'good zoom lenses' out there are more than 500g. So, the weight of the body is only a portion of the whole equation. You need to consider the flash too. Which when loaded with batteries are about 400-500g too!

Just try at the shops and see which is more comfortable in the hands. Not to forget, the basic camera system of each brand is tuned differently.

Additional considerations would include:
    • Picture quality (most entry level ones are very close in this)
    • Lens availability ( wide range or limited range )
    • Camera features ( Stripped down versus crippled )
    • Overall cost of ownership (maintenance, accessories, purchase of camera plus available lenses)

Maybe I'm biased but based on the above, the Canon 400D /450D seems to have the best balance.

If not in a rush, give it another 2-3 weeks, the Canon 450D should be available soon.

Wow... 450D is popular choice!

Haha, yup, my fren mentioned the canon 450D too... But Im flying to Japan in 2nd week of Mar.. Haha, cant wait Ah... Hope I dun make the wrong choice...

Yup, going to go get a feel of D80 soon.. Hope it fits
    Last edited by Clarity; 27th February 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    don't worry about it, so long as you stay away from the heavy lenses - which make up most of the weight.. or the higher level dslrs, which i think, tend to be heavier, you should be fine.

what is more important is the handling - for example if you have a big chunky piece of dslr and you have small hands, even if it weighs the same as a pns you would find it painful to carry it around. so go down to the shops, get your paws on some models and try it with kit lens on.

other than that, it is noteworthy to remember that you are buying into a system. make sure that you are well-acquainted with the strengths and weaknesses of every brand first and foremost so that you won't have to switch in future unless the brand really becomes horrible.. at least if you plan to take up photography long-term. at the same time, it will be great learning towards understanding the concept of photography and what it encompasses, as well as some technical terms so you can better understand the vast amounts of resources out there available on the internet with regards to photography.

you may check out dpreview.com and imaging resource (google, can't remmeber address) for reviews on cameras, but these are just reviews.. i think the most important thing in the end is that you must like your camera model. if you don't like it, you won't use it, so what's the point?
    Yup, will be sticking with the kit lens for now, since only just starting out.

Question regarding trying out the camera. The salesperson wun start to get attitude, if let's say.. I get him / her to let me try the cam with kit lens, batt, and everything, then... I say I'd consider again? Ha...

I hope that photography will be long term. Hence, I tot I better start with a light and preferably not too big camera. More of a petite person, hence, small hands and dun carry much weight normally... I cant imagine spending so much on a camera.. only to find it too heavy / big to take out or use comfortably... Tat would be a nitemare

Yup, read most of my reviews from dpreview.com, pretty informative

Quote Originally Posted by oTaRu View Post
    Hmm, most probably will test out with the free tripod first (if any) until Im sure wat I wan, in terms of compromise between weight of tripod vs stability...

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Yup, will be sticking with the kit lens for now, since only just starting out.

Question regarding trying out the camera. The salesperson wun start to get attitude, if let's say.. I get him / her to let me try the cam with kit lens, batt, and everything, then... I say I'd consider again? Ha...

I hope that photography will be long term. Hence, I tot I better start with a light and preferably not too big camera. More of a petite person, hence, small hands and dun carry much weight normally... I cant imagine spending so much on a camera.. only to find it too heavy / big to take out or use comfortably... Tat would be a nitemare

Yup, read most of my reviews from dpreview.com, pretty informative
    Well, depending on where you go... Not sure about other places, but J3:16 will not give you any problems even after trying, you still want to consider... I did that so many times :P

If you don't want shoulder strain, go for a backpack kind of bag... or a belt system type... Will not have so much issue... But of course, there are other consideration... I have done it using back pack, belt system, and even shoulder bag...

Only time I use shoulder bag is if I am kaypohing as an extra cam person for weddings where you are going to houses...

If I am traveling to places, I would usually use backpack.

If I am in Cambodia - where it's more of a holiday work kind, I use a combination of backpack and belt system... Backpack to the place... belt system in the area...

Ultimately... Enjoy! (And then later get the "Buy Buy Buy" bug... )

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Hmm, most probably will test out with the free tripod first (if any) until Im sure wat I wan, in terms of compromise between weight of tripod vs stability...
    Just remember that the free tripods are usually not of the best quality and can be quite unstable. If you're not sure that you like the quality of the free tripod, an option would be to ask whether you can get a better price if you don't take the tripod. I mean...even free tripods have weight, and no point lugging that around if it's too flimsy to help in a breezy situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Just remember that the free tripods are usually not of the best quality and can be quite unstable. If you're not sure that you like the quality of the free tripod, an option would be to ask whether you can get a better price if you don't take the tripod. I mean...even free tripods have weight, and no point lugging that around if it's too flimsy to help in a breezy situation.
    try out the tripod once u confirmed ur camera and lens of ur choice. mount it on. see if its stable for ur current setup. (of cos if u intend to upgrade to bigger/heavier lenses, it might not be as good.)

if u decide not to take any of the freebies (which they'll prob give CF cards, tripod, cleaning kit, camera books, etc) perhaps u getting a better one anyway, or u'll have no need for those, ask for a better price quote like what Kirika mentioned. or u can pay the same price, but "trade in" some of the freebies for sth more useful, like maybe extra camera batt, lens hood, UV filter, dry box, etc... LOL
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

I agree with Alpc, I just got my D40x from J 3:16, they were very nice to let me try the 40x and 400D before i made my decision today. Told them I had to go back and think again. 1 week's worth of thinking and the price for the D40x dropped by 110, lucky me! So I grabbed the D40x from them today even though the D60 is out already.

You going to Japan in 2nd week of March? You getting the camera for this trip? I would suggest you play around with it for awhile before u head to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Well, depending on where you go... Not sure about other places, but J3:16 will not give you any problems even after trying, you still want to consider... I did that so many times :P

If you don't want shoulder strain, go for a backpack kind of bag... or a belt system type... Will not have so much issue... But of course, there are other consideration... I have done it using back pack, belt system, and even shoulder bag...

Only time I use shoulder bag is if I am kaypohing as an extra cam person for weddings where you are going to houses...

If I am traveling to places, I would usually use backpack.

If I am in Cambodia - where it's more of a holiday work kind, I use a combination of backpack and belt system... Backpack to the place... belt system in the area...

Ultimately... Enjoy! (And then later get the "Buy Buy Buy" bug... )
    Hmm, when travelling, i usually go for a sling kind of bag, so can have easier access to watever Im carrying...

But I did consider the fact that a backpack might put lesser strain on my shoulders... Hmm...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast