Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

  1. #1

    Default 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    My 550EX flash dropped into fish tank due to my negligence It has been 3 days and still can't fire. Do you think it is worthwhile to repair it? Does anyone has the same experience?

  2. #2

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    My 550EX flash dropped into fish tank due to my negligence It has been 3 days and still can't fire. Do you think it is worthwhile to repair it? Does anyone has the same experience?
    Did you take out the battery immediately? If not, after 3 days, I'm pretty sure some things would have corroded inside. You can see if Canon is willing to repair under warranty, if not, then it might be more economical to buy a new one.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    I think its not worth sending it for repair. Its an old model. It will be costly.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Did you take out the battery immediately? If not, after 3 days, I'm pretty sure some things would have corroded inside. You can see if Canon is willing to repair under warranty, if not, then it might be more economical to buy a new one.
    yeah take out the battery and let it dry. who knows.might work

  5. #5

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    good excuse to buy a 580EX...hehehehehe

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bt Timah
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    painful! but check this out..even more pain
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=451992
    Canon: 5DMkIII, 7D, 2470f2.8L, 50f1.8, 70200f2.8L IS II, 430EX II, 600EX
    kineticexpressions.org

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
    painful! but check this out..even more pain
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=451992
    My goodness....15k lens in the drink. Hope it makes the TS feel better (really sorry to hear abt ur flash btw...perhaps can send to Canon for a repair quote and see how it goes from there).

  8. #8

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    My 550EX flash dropped into fish tank due to my negligence It has been 3 days and still can't fire. Do you think it is worthwhile to repair it? Does anyone has the same experience?
    Should have taken it out of the fish tank as soon as it was dropped in... (3 days? I hope I'm misunderstanding). Take the batteries out, and wait for it to fully dry before trying to fire.

    Get a quotation for repair and see how much it is.

    I haven't experienced dropping my flash into water before.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  9. #9

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Hi,

    Would like to share something interesting...

    I experienced something similar to your case, dropped my FL-50 flash into an alligator mangrove swamp in Bintan few months back.

    2 days later, brought it back to Singapore soaked my whole flash in boiling hot water to get rid of salt water and salt crystals in the flash. Left it to dry for 3 days, and it worked just fine... even under E-TTL etc.

    Unfortunately, it didn't work the next day... =(
    Not trying to prove anything, but if you dare to give it a shot it might work XD

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by justintanwy View Post
    Hi,

    Would like to share something interesting...

    I experienced something similar to your case, dropped my FL-50 flash into an alligator mangrove swamp in Bintan few months back.

    2 days later, brought it back to Singapore soaked my whole flash in boiling hot water to get rid of salt water and salt crystals in the flash. Left it to dry for 3 days, and it worked just fine... even under E-TTL etc.

    Unfortunately, it didn't work the next day... =(
    Not trying to prove anything, but if you dare to give it a shot it might work XD
    Woa. Wat inspired you to try that in the first place
    Besides the T/S's tank might not be salt water erh ..

  11. #11

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by justintanwy View Post
    Hi,

    Would like to share something interesting...

    I experienced something similar to your case, dropped my FL-50 flash into an alligator mangrove swamp in Bintan few months back.

    2 days later, brought it back to Singapore soaked my whole flash in boiling hot water to get rid of salt water and salt crystals in the flash. Left it to dry for 3 days, and it worked just fine... even under E-TTL etc.

    Unfortunately, it didn't work the next day... =(
    Not trying to prove anything, but if you dare to give it a shot it might work XD
    This is call curing the dead.....so no harm to the dead
    Check out the repair price. New 580EX should be around $650 (in B&S section).
    :vhappy:EOS400D

  12. #12

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Ok, I feel better now after reading that a 600mm f4 IS was found swimming in a pond Compared to my humble 550EX. Thanks for the replies.

    I was taking some pictures for my planted tank with flash on top, triggered by ST-2E flash transmitter. Thereafter, I adjusted something in the tank and accidentally hit the flash and it went diving. It fired once in the water and I believe that might have caused a short circuit. Took the flash out immediately and took out all batteries and tried to dry it. Reinstalled the battery and the flash gave a motor sound-'tat tat tat tat. The flash was trying to zoom non-stop. I think it is not completely dry after 3 days and I tested it out for 3 days. LCD screen went mad..

    As suggested, perhaps I should get a quote from CSC.

    Anyone wants to sell their 550EX please let me know!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bt Timah
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    Ok, I feel better now after reading that a 600mm f4 IS was found swimming in a pond Compared to my humble 550EX. Thanks for the replies.

    I was taking some pictures for my planted tank with flash on top, triggered by ST-2E flash transmitter. Thereafter, I adjusted something in the tank and accidentally hit the flash and it went diving. It fired once in the water and I believe that might have caused a short circuit. Took the flash out immediately and took out all batteries and tried to dry it. Reinstalled the battery and the flash gave a motor sound-'tat tat tat tat. The flash was trying to zoom non-stop. I think it is not completely dry after 3 days and I tested it out for 3 days. LCD screen went mad..

    As suggested, perhaps I should get a quote from CSC.

    Anyone wants to sell their 550EX please let me know!
    really suay..n i bet ur fish was shocked by the in-water "lightning"

    That being said, i'm curious about repair costs, if it can be repaired n all... n we can start a thread about accidents like this...good for experience sharing n what not to do in certain situations (plus if the victim doesn't mind, everyone can haha abit)
    Canon: 5DMkIII, 7D, 2470f2.8L, 50f1.8, 70200f2.8L IS II, 430EX II, 600EX
    kineticexpressions.org

  14. #14

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Sure, jkaiser, will give an update whether I scrap it or repair it. It is very sad if the negligent was done by our part and this foolish incident serves to remind everyone not to be careless with their equipments

  15. #15
    Senior Member benny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    That's why the set for the tank shoot up is very, very important.

    Sorry to hear about the accident. I just sent in my sets to CSC today too. For general checkup and replacement of the scratched plastic covers.

    Cheers,

  16. #16

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Hi Benny, great to see you here. Even your flash needs servicing
    ? or your camera & lens?

    For all who have shown concerns today, thanks for your comment and advice.

    I wonder whether you believe this:--- the flash has just come alive! I tried the dead flash again just now and i knew it was happening when i saw the AF Beam blinked normally. (before that the beam just light up without blink once batteries were installed even though i did not switch on the flash) When I looked at the LCD, all necessary data was in place. Adjusted the mode and it worked like before. I quickly fired a few shots and it was A-OK I further fired a least 50 rounds to make sure it was warm up inside to dispel any residual moisture.

    Don't know why this way, and perhaps, this incident is a case study that a wet flash will come alive after a few days when it is dried up... but don't try this at home. I am keeping my fingers crossed as according to justin had said above, it would go dead the next day

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bt Timah
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    Hi Benny, great to see you here. Even your flash needs servicing
    ? or your camera & lens?

    For all who have shown concerns today, thanks for your comment and advice.

    I wonder whether you believe this:--- the flash has just come alive! I tried the dead flash again just now and i knew it was happening when i saw the AF Beam blinked normally. (before that the beam just light up without blink once batteries were installed even though i did not switch on the flash) When I looked at the LCD, all necessary data was in place. Adjusted the mode and it worked like before. I quickly fired a few shots and it was A-OK I further fired a least 50 rounds to make sure it was warm up inside to dispel any residual moisture.

    Don't know why this way, and perhaps, this incident is a case study that a wet flash will come alive after a few days when it is dried up... but don't try this at home. I am keeping my fingers crossed as according to justin had said above, it would go dead the next day
    haha u're really lucky..typically the best way to deal with wet electronics is to let it dry on its own..or strip out the parts to air dry...guessed it worked for u...do continue to monitor though..if any problem act blur n send back to CSC
    Canon: 5DMkIII, 7D, 2470f2.8L, 50f1.8, 70200f2.8L IS II, 430EX II, 600EX
    kineticexpressions.org

  18. #18

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    I've never experienced it before, but my handphone does. I believe that electronic device if soak in water, just leave it to dry out should be workable. I accidentally left my hp in my washing machine and it just washed all over until being dried up. When i noticed it, the hp is very dead. Cannot even start up. So i took out the battery and left them to dry for few days. Thereafter, the hp just came alive again.

    My point is : sometimes electronic device can still be usable if we leave it to dry out, although i cannot explain the reason.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

  19. #19
    Senior Member benny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    Hi Benny, great to see you here. Even your flash needs servicing
    ? or your camera & lens?

    For all who have shown concerns today, thanks for your comment and advice.

    I wonder whether you believe this:--- the flash has just come alive! I tried the dead flash again just now and i knew it was happening when i saw the AF Beam blinked normally. (before that the beam just light up without blink once batteries were installed even though i did not switch on the flash) When I looked at the LCD, all necessary data was in place. Adjusted the mode and it worked like before. I quickly fired a few shots and it was A-OK I further fired a least 50 rounds to make sure it was warm up inside to dispel any residual moisture.

    Don't know why this way, and perhaps, this incident is a case study that a wet flash will come alive after a few days when it is dried up... but don't try this at home. I am keeping my fingers crossed as according to justin had said above, it would go dead the next day
    Some of the IR covers came off and the plastic diffusor was dirty. So I have they clean it and swap out if necessary.

    Good to hear the flash is working again. I think that the 550EX is better built than the 580EX, but getting it wet is another case altogether. Do keep us posted of it's status as I'm curious if any of the functions are affected. I thought the flash might have short circuited when it fired in the water. Seems that it's not the case. Really lucky then.

    Cheers,

  20. #20

    Default Re: 550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    My 550EX flash dropped into fish tank due to my negligence It has been 3 days and still can't fire. Do you think it is worthwhile to repair it? Does anyone has the same experience?
    Don't count on it to operate properly even though it may power-up and fire after it dries.

    Once wet, some parts of the circuit boards and some electronic components will begin a chemical process of corrosion and rusting, and it looks like a cancer that eventually spreads. It can't be effectively or permanently stopped. Your flash, if fully submerged into the fish tank, is very likely not worth repairing; it is likely to cost too much.

    And I strongly recommend that you DON'T open a flash unit of this size/power. The electrical shock that it can give you is lethal/deadly!!! It's not a joking matter.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 26th February 2008 at 12:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •