Thread: Where to get shelves for A1 or larger prints?

Default Where to get shelves for A1 or larger prints?

This is semi-related to photography as i used to see this kind of shelves long long time ago in my old secondary school art room, where the cupboard are separated into thin long and deep slots with thin boards that separates them, mainly to keep large pieces of artwork such as canvas or posters. i have since lost in touch with artwork (apart from photography recently).

i intend to get one that i can fit folded up paper boxes and large flat stuff, and the only furniture i can think of should be what i have seen above. i'm asking here as i supposed some of you might be in this field of art/design and may come across places that sells such furnitures that is more industrial/workshop/office than domestic.

Default Re: Where to get shelves for A1 or larger prints?

is this what you are looking for? this are what architects firms been using.
    Last edited by catchlights; 25th February 2008 at 09:49 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    is this what you are looking for? this are what architects firms been using.
    yes, except that the slots i saw last time are vertically orientated. horizontal ones are fine as well, though, probably better. the price is quite steep though... i didn't know these costs 4 figures....

if you don't bother about the look, can try to use china angle brackets plus some plywoods to fabricate one metal shelving

if you don't bother about the look, can try to use china angle brackets plus some plywoods to fabricate one metal shelving
    where can i source for such stuff?

diy may a little too troublesome, you can find some vendors selling this type of shelving in home reno fair or expo, some they do customize shelving.

anyway, this is the china angle bar I'm referring, you can find it from some hardware stores, they will cut the length you want for you, for the plywood, you can find it from building material depot, but you need to saw it yourself. some woodwork workshops can cut to the size you want and sell you. for this, you have ask others CSers for recommendation, I have not been doing any DIY things for very long time liao.

diy may a little too troublesome, you can find some vendors selling this type of shelving in home reno fair or expo, some they do customize shelving.

anyway, this is the china angle bar I'm referring, you can find it from some hardware stores, they will cut the length you want for you, for the plywood, you can find it from building material depot, but you need to saw it yourself. some woodwork workshops can cut to the size you want and sell you. for this, you have ask others CSers for recommendation, I have not been doing any DIY things for very long time liao.

thanks for the concept, looks like i got to hunt around for the components...

btw you might also want to think about whether your prints are going to be securely mounted, vertical storage may not be good for cardboards/weak mounting prone to warping

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    btw you might also want to think about whether your prints are going to be securely mounted, vertical storage may not be good for cardboards/weak mounting prone to warping
    those cardboards are thick. in a way, horizontal slots are great for the things to be put in (can even be paper like that in the papers shop), but vertical slots are probably better for the furniture as you can afford to have thinner (hopefully cheaper) separators as compared to the horizontal slots which need to hold its own weight and need to be thicker.

looks like i would need to comb the area in bras basah region and some of those office furniture shops.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    those cardboards are thick. in a way, horizontal slots are great for the things to be put in (can even be paper like that in the papers shop), but vertical slots are probably better for the furniture as you can afford to have thinner (hopefully cheaper) separators as compared to the horizontal slots which need to hold its own weight and need to be thicker.

looks like i would need to comb the area in bras basah region and some of those office furniture shops.
    cardboards do warp easily at that size, unless they are closely packed. just for your consideration.

if you're thinking of DIY, some hardware/metal supplies shops and wooden furniture shops around Kelantan Centre use to help people cut metal/wood parts into custom sizes, not sure if they still do so.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    cardboards do warp easily at that size, unless they are closely packed. just for your consideration.

if you're thinking of DIY, some hardware/metal supplies shops and wooden furniture shops around Kelantan Centre use to help people cut metal/wood parts into custom sizes, not sure if they still do so.
    thanks for letting me the area, at least i can jalan there to see if they can custom make some furnitures.