Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Standard of Photography low?

Deregistered

Originally posted by togu
    please continue war... -
    huh? War?
    Arrrrgh! Stockpile water and food! Hide in basement!!

Wah seh! Strong words my man.

I think it would be wiser if you didn't dish macro photos at this point of time.

Macro photos can be art too. You just have to come up with the subject matter. I have a whole box of macro shots of ice. Just plain, dumb ice. Ice from my fridge.

It's "artsy" enough to be accepted and paid for by a few companies.

Macro shots of insects can be artisitic too.

A decade or so ago, I remembered reading a Time-published nature book and saw this macro of a praying mantis. I still have the same image etched firmly in my mind.

Anyway, CS and offstone are places of photography that appeals to different kinds of people. Different appeal, different people, different content.

Simple.

Originally posted by ivan_limm

and to the more recent posts regarding the macro photography. its true that macro photography here at clubsnap is fantastic, but honestly, I'm not a big fan of macro (this is subjective and will likely start a flame war which i do not want to go to). To me, a picture is suppose to convey a message, suppose to be powerful, interesting and have meaning. The photographer should feel for the subject and moment when taking a photograph and capture the essence of the moment. Macro photographers will argue that you need good technique and its a form of art taking these insests, plants, etc. But honestly, are these pictures memorable to you? do they stick in your minds the way some photographs do(eg. the vietnam war napalm attack photograph, etc)? I'm afraid not, to me, you've seen one insect picture, you've seen them all. How often do you see a macro insect picture in "Life's 100 greatest pictures" or other such books?

sure this is subjective but to me, this kind of insect shots are good for documentation or tectbooks, etc. But to me, they are not art. there's no strong meaning in the photograph. Simply, its a close-up photograph of an insect.

ivan_limm
    Guests

wow knighthunter, you actually considered me a hero?

i'm so touched, hahahaha!

Ivan more about the crappy pictures. I think what Jeff has mentioned is very valid. 'everyone here has thier own agenda'.

I take pictures for memory's sake, as a record of my life, my experiences and those that I share it with. Of course, there are many others who have different reasons for taking up photography, but I have a feeling that most people here have the same or similar reason, while there are others whom I have met who yearn to excel, who apply stuff like the spot metering with the zone system, focus of the use of DOF, play around with zooms and perspective.

When my pictures come out, what makes it satisfying is that it captures the moment as how I have seen it then. Sure, it will in all likelihood be worth nothing in a competition, but what matters is that I get these photos, and these photos are good enough for me and my wife and future generations to enjoy as the years go by. Anything else that I can do with my camera is a bonus, and it does not kill me if I can't do anything more with it.

As for the equiptment that I own, it is something that will help me most to get the shots that I want, and something within my means to obtain. If it takes a camera that costs more, so be it. Why should I limit myself to a camera that just will suit my needs. why not something more?

Until you know each and everybody's agenda, I don't think that you should talk about what people use or how they use it.

Different types of forum for different types of photographers / standards /styles etc.

Bitching isn't going to help. You may help change or raise the standards by giving constructive comments to those who put their pix up for critiques.

If they violently object to your critique (no matter how valid), then its their loss not yours.

wow knighthunter, you actually considered me a hero?

i'm so touched, hahahaha!
    Unfortunately the hero who has a good mission with ill intention finally succumb to dark bottomless pit of self centered personality of narrow mindedness.........
    What a poor soul

Let's take more pictures and let the equipment out of equation...!
    Actions speaks louder than words......
    W204FL

Deregistered

Yeah. Lets do something to improve lor. Meanwhile, I'm going to bed.

*yawnz*

As it stands, Ivan... you can say what you wish to.. like i say, we are all entitled but let's it civil...

thank you.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

ivan_limm
    Guests

yup everyone's entitled to their opinion including knighthunter and parchiao.

anyway OT for a while, have both of you watched Bruce Almighty yet? I hope you guys like Jazz cause maybe I could play a tune for you guys if you guys are interested!

Ivan and knighthunter,

I would suggest you guys just cool off a bit and maybe get some sleep. We don't want this thread spinning off into a war would we? We are here to enjoy and share, not to criticise with no civil intention. Listen to Wolfgang. Be civil...

Good Night Everyone In CS.

Andy Ho
    http://andyho.clubsnap.org/gallery/

yup everyone's entitled to their opinion including knighthunter and parchiao.

anyway OT for a while, have both of you watched Bruce Almighty yet? I hope you guys like Jazz cause maybe I could play a tune for you guys if you guys are interested!
    And hence my reminder to all keep it civil...

Nonetheless, lets not go too far OT.

Kindly note: No amount of smileys would disguise a ill-intended post.

As i have reminded in my previous post... learn to govern your behavior. This is a shared community. Things will only be tolerated to a certain extent.

Bringing up a subject is one thing but being snide is another.

Once i again, kindly refrain.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 2nd June 2003 at 11:49 PM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Yes. I think that the standard is not very high. But that is not important, as long as people show the interest. But.... this is really turning into a photography equipment forum rather than a photography forum.

Just look at the ratio of equipment post : photography posts.

Or just see how many replies are there in both types of posts.
    Flickr :: Alpha 850 :: 50F1.4 :: 28-75F2.8 :: 17-35F2.8 ::

I don't see any point in bringing up this issue: equipment wankers vs. the real artists blah blah. It's a tired subject. Everybody will feel justified in airing their own views and we are still back to square one at the end of the day. The purpose of posting such a thread is questionable.

Photography is a hobby for many and the very definition of a hobby is something that people do to pass their time. You do not have to be technically proficient/creative to enjoy taking pictures. If you think most of the pictures are mediocre, nobody is forcing you to look at them.

I guess once in a while, nature bestows us with an individual intent on stirring up a beehive just to see some activity.

Originally posted by Andy Ho
    Ivan and knighthunter,

I would suggest you guys just cool off a bit and maybe get some sleep. We don't want this thread spinning off into a war would we? We are here to enjoy and share, not to criticise with no civil intention. Listen to Wolfgang. Be civil...

Good Night Everyone In CS.

Andy Ho
    http://andyho.clubsnap.org/gallery/
    I am sorry I just can't understand, when I read this thread for the first time I saw some good intention from the original poster even with minor slandering on good/expensive equipment.
    Unfortunately the epilogue shows how immature the origal poster and I regret I made reply to this thread. Sorry for being Sarcastic.

Ivan,
    Play that Jazz in front of the mirror.......
    Other than that show us your work!
    W204FL

Default Re: Every coin has two sides

Originally posted by Knighthunter
    Be realistic, some people has mercedes as first car and some people only can afford Hyundai as first car.
    And what's wrong with a Hyundai?!? I'd take a Coupe over an A class anyday

Default Re: Re: Every coin has two sides

Originally posted by erwinx
    Why should the fact that the person uses a d100/10d and not A40 matter?
    Couldn't agree more. Definitely shouldn't matter whether the person uses an S2 or 10D, or EF 500/4L IS USM. What matters is whether that person can or cannot do justice to his subject matter. Still, with an EF 500/4L IS USM, his pictures better be good.

Actually, that tirade brings me to a very salient point. Erwin mentions doing the subject justice. Well put. A bad photorgraph does the subject no justice whatsoever. And doing such a poor job with good equipment only compounds the problem, doing so with poor equipment at least affords the author an excuse.

There is a distinction between what I've just said, and merely doing your equipment justice. Read that paragraph carefully if you don't get it.

I actually think one of the major contributory factors of there being very little constructive comments is illustrated perfectly in this thread. For starters some people have already pointed this out. Basically, CS is a victim of its own success. I didn't log on for a week and returned to 1000 new threads and 6xxx new posts. Tell me who's going to read that? Divide that by seven and it works out at almost 1000 new messages a day. It's just like a thread like this - it grows so fast and so quickly and gets so long that really, unless you have literally no life, it's impossible to contribute. I thought about putting together a meaningful reply to various points raised, I didn't bother because I didn't catch up with this thread until it was four pages long and there were too many different arguments flying around to try to reconcile them all.

Ultimately everyone's entitled to their own view. Mine is that the standard of photography is fairly low here, although I will not attach any significance to the perceived level of equipment ownership, real or imagined. But ultimate there is high quality work here as well, and also at Offstone. The two forums are completely different entities.

Default Re: Re: Re: Every coin has two sides

Originally posted by Jed
    Couldn't agree more. Definitely shouldn't matter whether the person uses an S2 or 10D, or EF 500/4L IS USM. What matters is whether that person can or cannot do justice to his subject matter. Still, with an EF 500/4L IS USM, his pictures better be good.

Actually, that tirade brings me to a very salient point. Erwin mentions doing the subject justice. Well put. A bad photorgraph does the subject no justice whatsoever. And doing such a poor job with good equipment only compounds the problem, doing so with poor equipment at least affords the author an excuse.

There is a distinction between what I've just said, and merely doing your equipment justice. Read that paragraph carefully if you don't get it.
    Nah, all you need is a pretty girl in skimpy clothes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast