Thread: The ecosystem of Sungei Ulu Pandan is at risk

Default The ecosystem of Sungei Ulu Pandan is at risk

I am a frequent jogger along the beautiful canal with sunset view. The river provides a good food source and has attracted some exotic creatures to it banks eg. White throat kingfisher; we can also see white and grey Crane stalking fish along its bank.

But lately, I am seeing an over fishing in the river by human.
    Mostly by foreign workers. We can see a few sets of people casting fishing net across the entire breath of the river. I am not against the leisure anglers using fishing rods.
    But how it is possible for a 2km river support this kind of fishing by net?

Either we stop the fishing or we lose the birds.
    Anyone knows which authority should i turn to?
    Is it possible to stop the fishing by net?

Today, I saw the catch has diminish to a rate close to zero, I hope it is not too late to take any actions.

Default Re: The ecosystem of Sungei Ulu Pandan is at risk

they extend their fishing to old holland road canal as well. see them often but hardly catch anything.

i guess you can complain to the NEA, but frankly I don't think it'll make much of a difference. A lot of times the water change colour cos of the nearby construction/factories. May be another cause for diminishing fish population. Dunno about toxins in the water etc...can't be too healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by allsmilez View Post
    they extend their fishing to old holland road canal as well. see them often but hardly catch anything.

i guess you can complain to the NEA, but frankly I don't think it'll make much of a difference. A lot of times the water change colour cos of the nearby construction/factories. May be another cause for diminishing fish population. Dunno about toxins in the water etc...can't be too healthy.
    There is a petition from 1,300 residents to the Prime Minister to stop development along the woodlands running paralle to the river. I hope they are successful.

I will try NEA tomorrow, hope to have a good response from them.

Illegal fishing is taking place at most water catchment areas.. From what i understand, complains have been made... but no action till date..

It's not just foreign workers.. there are clear cut signages placed at the reservoirs, with 'Regulations' on how one should fish.. (eg: lures only).. yet there are many locals using chicken innards and live catfish to catch snakeheads..
    Canonite
    Disciple of the Canonical Order

Sadly, it happens to bedok reservoir park too. After they open the park to people for kayaing and canoeing and fishing. I see more litters on the jogging track and in the water. The shores are covered with litters.

Quote Originally Posted by canonG9 View Post
    Illegal fishing is taking place at most water catchment areas.. From what i understand, complains have been made... but no action till date..

It's not just foreign workers.. there are clear cut signages placed at the reservoirs, with 'Regulations' on how one should fish.. (eg: lures only).. yet there are many locals using chicken innards and live catfish to catch snakeheads..
    Yes, I saw people using live catfish to catch Snakehead. I know which reservior you are talking about.

Try NParks too.

I am not surprised if not much action is taken. Usually, it requires some level of public outrage are stirred before things get done. Try sending images/videos to STomp?

actually i'm curious

do our law enforcement officers, if they were contacted, actually have any power to do anything to illegal fishermen?

IIRC, i read at a local fishing forum.. (zac08 definitely knows which one) ... some tried Nparks, but was told to call another agency because it does not fall under their jurisdition..
    Canonite

Enforcement is complicated and longwinded. Watercatchment and water activities is under PUB. Forest trees and plants on NPrangers. If there are law breakers the PUB will have to call Nprangers, Nparks will call the police.The police can only arrest if Nprangers take action.

But when come to FINES On illegal parking the Nprangers can issue summons and ticket.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

I have checked with NPB, officers are on site. Waiting for call back.

Called Nature Society Singapore (NSS).
    -Fishing is not illegal.
    -Do not have control over the water body.

Suggestions.
    -Write to forums.
    -Contact PUB.

Contacted the PUB.
    So many department: Water catchment, canal, river ect..
    If the canal does not flow in catchment, fishing is therefore legal.

Was referred to the water department, will be calling later.

erm... when i go back to the reservoir, i see who post the notice...
    Canonite

just a thought..don't shoot me...are foreign workers fishing there because they aren't being paid enough to buy sufficient food to properly feed themselves? so they resort to this to supplement their meals