Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

  1. #21

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
    quite a number of accident are due to "over reliance" of auto pilot especially in commercial vessel.
    maybe install a auto avoidance thingy linked to auto pilot.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    By the way, at sea or in the air, usually the larger vessel has the right of way, and it is the smaller vessel which has to give way when warned. Reasoning is that the smaller vessel is usually more manoevurable, the larger vessel takes a longer time to change course.
    there's no absolute right of way based on size. unless the bigger vessel has constraints in maneuvering.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    there's no absolute right of way based on size. unless the bigger vessel has constraints in maneuvering.
    hahaha ... would it comes down to who blinks first?

    reminds me of an old joke ...

    in a dark stormy nite on board a USN warship ...

    Sailor: Commander, there is a light straight ahead! We are on a collision course!
    Commander (on radio): Captain of the vessel ahead. We are on a collision course with you. Come starboard 20 degrees!
    Light: U come starboard 20 degrees!
    C: This is Commader James of USN, you come starboard 20 degrees!
    L: This is Seaman Lim Ah Kow, you come starboard 20 degrees!
    C: I am a aircraft carrier, you come starboard 20 degrees!
    L: I am a lighthouse, you come starboard 20 degrees!

    The aircraft carrier turn ....


  4. #24

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    there's no absolute right of way based on size. unless the bigger vessel has constraints in maneuvering.
    Who do you think can turn faster to avoid a collision-- an aircraft carrier or a speedboat? If you don't understand the logic, so be it.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Who do you think can turn faster to avoid a collision-- an aircraft carrier or a speedboat? If you don't understand the logic, so be it.
    If you have followed our own incident... you'd understand. Maneuvering is but 1 of the many options available to the watch.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    hahaha ... would it comes down to who blinks first?

    reminds me of an old joke ...

    jokes aside.. both should blink at earliest opportunity.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    jokes aside.. both should blink at earliest opportunity.
    ya I agree ... no point sinking a ship jus to prove your guts ...

    back to the original topic. There is really no good reason why the battleship hit the fishing boat ...

  8. #28

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    If you have followed our own incident... you'd understand. Maneuvering is but 1 of the many options available to the watch.
    It's usually the last possible option if you can see the boat right in front of you. Battleships don't have brakes like cars, all back full takes a very long time.

    Of course, long before that becomes the last possible option, the watch team should already have plotted the course of the oncoming vessels and started taking action, eg. to raise the incoming ship on all available frequencies and enquire its intentions.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    It's usually the last possible option if you can see the boat right in front of you. Battleships don't have brakes like cars, all back full takes a very long time.

    Of course, long before that becomes the last possible option, the watch team should already have plotted the course of the oncoming vessels and started taking action, eg. to raise the incoming ship on all available frequencies and enquire its intentions.
    yes... that's what I'm trying to point at. Nautical Rules of the Road applies to avoid close quarters situation regardless of the size of the vessel. Should such situation occurs, IIRC all measures are to be taken to prevent a collision.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    ya I agree ... no point sinking a ship jus to prove your guts ...

    back to the original topic. There is really no good reason why the battleship hit the fishing boat ...
    The reason applies in reverse too... there's no reason why a fishing boat hit a battleship moving at about 18kph when they spotted it 30min+ away.

    It was mentioned that the battleship was in autopilot. So I doubt that the battleship is making fancy maneuvers.
    Last edited by CYRN; 25th February 2008 at 03:53 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Is the fishing boat equipped with vhf?, where communication was made before the incident.
    Even so, the frigate should make a 'safe' manouver as they are equip with radar and should be able to detect the fishing boat "few" NM away. Watchman mia during that period?

  12. #32

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
    Is the fishing boat equipped with vhf?, where communication was made before the incident.
    Even so, the frigate should make a 'safe' manouver as they are equip with radar and should be able to detect the fishing boat "few" NM away. Watchman mia during that period?
    The attempted communication...

    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national...25TDY02303.htm
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    yes... that's what I'm trying to point at. Nautical Rules of the Road applies to avoid close quarters situation regardless of the size of the vessel. Should such situation occurs, IIRC all measures are to be taken to prevent a collision.
    1. Of course you do everything possible if the oncoming vessel is right in front of you, right or no right of way. But obviously, if you can see the moustache of the captain of the oncomingfishing boat with your naked eye, it's kind of too late for the battleship to do anything.

    2. A good watch team would have plotted the speed, bearing and course of the oncoming vessel and would have realised that they were on a collision course, and alerted the officer of the deck immediately. Frankly, they should have notified the OOD of any vessel that would pass within 1,000 yards at the closest point of approach. And in open seas, any competent OOD would immediately try take the conn and plot a course away from such close contact.

    3. So far, all the blame has been heaped on the battleship crew. I somehow think that's not entirely fair. If the bloody fishing boat saw the ship 37 mins earlier, why didn't they take evasive action? Is it not fair to expect the fishing boat captain to also think of his own safety and that of his crew?
    Last edited by waileong; 25th February 2008 at 08:07 PM.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    1. Of course you do everything possible if the oncoming vessel is right in front of you, right or no right of way. But obviously, if you can see the moustache of the captain of the oncomingfishing boat with your naked eye, it's kind of too late for the battleship to do anything.

    2. A good watch team would have plotted the speed, bearing and course of the oncoming vessel and would have realised that they were on a collision course, and alerted the officer of the deck immediately. Frankly, they should have notified the OOD of any vessel that would pass within 1,000 yards at the closest point of approach. And in open seas, any competent OOD would immediately try take the conn and plot a course away from such close contact.

    3. So far, all the blame has been heaped on the battleship crew. I somehow think that's not entirely fair. If the bloody fishing boat saw the ship 37 mins earlier, why didn't they take evasive action? Is it not fair to expect the fishing boat captain to also think of his own safety and that of his crew?
    There are a lot of questions to be verified before any deductions can be made.... but...

    http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/72...ese-destroyer/
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    http://www.rs-head.spb.ru/regbook/cd...0/804437_e.htm

    Not sure if it's the same, but if it's of similar name, I believe they are of the same class.

    look at the navigation aids... do you think that BOTH vessels might be on auto pilot?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    There are a lot of questions to be verified before any deductions can be made.... but...

    http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/72...ese-destroyer/
    I believe both captains have a lot of explaining to do. I do not believe in any accident that there is only one party at fault.

    One thing is clear, though-- the frigate captain and a lot of her officers will never have another command again.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Japanese Frigate struck fishing boat

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    I believe both captains have a lot of explaining to do. I do not believe in any accident that there is only one party at fault.

    One thing is clear, though-- the frigate captain and a lot of her officers will never have another command again.
    If I get the story correct... only 1 capt left.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •