Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: “No Photography” - Does we photographers have rights too?

Default Re: “No Photography” - Does we photographers have rights too?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i was shooting GMAX at Clarke Quay with 2 friends, i am with mini tripod and digital P&S while they use dslr handheld. after awhile. the boss come and ask politely where are we from and the purpose of the photos taken, he didnt want to be mis-represented. just tell him we are hobbist and shooting for fun and he let us carry on shooting.

unlike an experience i had few years back at Far East Square when shooting a Line Dance Org. doing their regular dancing. org. came and demanded me to stop in a rude manner, i got pissed and told him its public property and i can shoot if i like. guess his reply?

there are ministers dancing and that i have to stop. told him to get the minister to speak to me or bring me to the ministers. than he went back to discuss with another org., which came to me and ask politely the purpose of the photos and that effectly, the space belongs to FES and since they had obtained the permission to use the space, he can ask the FES personnel to ask me to leave. i told him it was the attitude and explaination from the other guy who got me pissed, it is fine by me if they ask me to stop with valid reasons, not some make up stories.

i feel it voice down to the attitude and the reasons given by the org as well as the photog. chinese we say "li sang wang lie". even if you have the rights, it doesnt means you can be rude to others. some courtesy and understanding goes a long way, especially when resolving conflicts.
    Aiya, it's just the typical singapore way. They probably aren't trained how to shoo off photographers. OT a bit, just like most retail assistants..

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    We shoot things with camera, people think we shooting them with guns. I won't like to argue with people who like to put up an argument.

As long as I'm taking an inanimate object within public grounds with no jurisdiction of or the prohibition of photography and I'm not defaming or insulting someone, I will still defend my ground. BUT if I'm taking a person or a doing a huge street scene shoot and someone asks me to delete I will.
    agree...but as long as they remain polite and civil when requesting.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    chinese we say "li sang wang lie". even if you have the rights, it doesnt means you can be rude to others. some courtesy and understanding goes a long way, especially when resolving conflicts.
    even if you have the camera, it doesnt means you can shoot anyone you like with the camera, some courtesy and "permission" goes a long way
    BLOMQVIST

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I found this in the web on Photographer's Rights in USA http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
    i believe the photographer's rights in the US are very different to that in Singapore. eg if u wanna take a picture of a person in the US or even a building, and show it in public (like submit for competition), then u have to get a photo release signed, or even a property release by the person, or the person who owns the building.

in singapore, as long as the photo contest is a local one, it is fine

vince123123
    Guests

You are correct to say that laws differ in the US quite significantly from in Singapore - which is why I'll read that document with caution

On your example, I'll go further as to say that even if you take the picture of the person in Singapore or building in Singapore, you are not limited only to for photo contests, or for that matter local photo contests.

Taking a photograph of a building does not infringe on the copyright in the building in Singapore. There is also no law saying that you need to get a release to take, use, and publish of a photograph of a person in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    i believe the photographer's rights in the US are very different to that in Singapore. eg if u wanna take a picture of a person in the US or even a building, and show it in public (like submit for competition), then u have to get a photo release signed, or even a property release by the person, or the person who owns the building.

in singapore, as long as the photo contest is a local one, it is fine

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm, given the great popular demand, maybe I'll do one if I have the time - but what is required right now is to get questions to answer.

I wonder if the "Articles" section in ClubSnap is still open for submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    here's another guide for UK based photographers

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php

hopefully someone in SG can create something similar also

Can you just use the USA/UK/Australia version and make changes to the areas that are different in Singapore? This way, it will be easier than writing the whole thing from scratch.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567