Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: “No Photography” - Does we photographers have rights too?

Default Re: “No Photography” - Does we photographers have rights too?

Hi, just some days back i was infront of the ticketing booth of cineleisure taking a picture of my friend. There was a signboard displaying that below a certain height you'll get a free movie pass in. (It was a real life sized one, i think its 90 cm or so.) So i asked to friend to stand at an angle such that he seems to be shorter than it. Apparently, the guy at the booth just shouted rudely and told me not to take pictures.
    When i was about to go in for my movie, he told me i had to leave my camera at the counter. Seriously, how can a DSLR copy a movie? It was a big risk to just leave items that is worth about 4k with them, given that the guy has such a attitude problem.
    Won't mention his name here, but I definitely won't forget his face and name though.

Yeah man, if I were to "spy" on the shop, I'd make sure I won't be spotted! With a big camera, I must be the most goon-doo spy!

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    there is something about the way singaporeans think, sometimes including myself. too straight and not very intelligent.

becos of the escape (exit) incident, increased security is applied in both the entry and exit, of all complexion and all gender, ended up in 2hrs retention of the indonesian president advisor who came in to sg and an apology subsequently issued when they found out who they have detained. i wonder if anyone think that mas selamat is going to return to sg now, or he may have doll up as a chinese women.

likewise, many ppl think that that big DSLR camera is more likely to be a spying camera than a compact camera or a handphone. doesn't make sense but widely encountered, isn't it?

vince123123
    Guests

Not sure why I missed this discussion on legal rights, but it would suffice for me to summarise that in response to the TS's queries, i doubt anyoen has the legal right to stop you from taking photographs OF the shop, OUTSIDE the shop.

There has been much opinion here, some of it true, some of it based on common sense (although not based on law) and some of it simply misinformed. Since I only joined this discussion at this late stage, I'll not go through each comment one by one.

However, if the TS or anyone else still needs questions answered, do post them and I'll try to offer my assistance to those questions below this post

Upz for photographers' rights

There is just something taboo about a guy carrying a big camera, such is the narrow mindset of some of the employees out there. I just don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by dark72 View Post
    Hi, just some days back i was infront of the ticketing booth of cineleisure taking a picture of my friend. There was a signboard displaying that below a certain height you'll get a free movie pass in. (It was a real life sized one, i think its 90 cm or so.) So i asked to friend to stand at an angle such that he seems to be shorter than it. Apparently, the guy at the booth just shouted rudely and told me not to take pictures.
    When i was about to go in for my movie, he told me i had to leave my camera at the counter. Seriously, how can a DSLR copy a movie? It was a big risk to just leave items that is worth about 4k with them, given that the guy has such a attitude problem.
    Won't mention his name here, but I definitely won't forget his face and name though.

Quote Originally Posted by white5tar View Post
    What do you all think about food? Do photographers have a right to take photos of food they eat at a restaurant?
    Quote Originally Posted by justshot View Post
    My guess is yes. Because you have "purchased" it.
    thats what we as consumers would think i guess. but we are still consuming the food within their premises so i guess they have every right to stop us

thankfully i dont encounter this at many restaurants...

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Yeah man, if I were to "spy" on the shop, I'd make sure I won't be spotted! With a big camera, I must be the most goon-doo spy!
    lol..i got stopped once using a pns. then again there werent many customers then

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Not sure why I missed this discussion on legal rights, but it would suffice for me to summarise that in response to the TS's queries, i doubt anyoen has the legal right to stop you from taking photographs OF the shop, OUTSIDE the shop.

There has been much opinion here, some of it true, some of it based on common sense (although not based on law) and some of it simply misinformed. Since I only joined this discussion at this late stage, I'll not go through each comment one by one.

However, if the TS or anyone else still needs questions answered, do post them and I'll try to offer my assistance to those questions below this post

Wait til a tenant scolds you for taking a photo of their shophouse, without showing their shop, while standing on public road. I kena before

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Wait til a tenant scolds you for taking a photo of their shophouse, without showing their shop, while standing on public road. I kena before
    lol..that one can dun care them

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    lol..that one can dun care them
    We shoot things with camera, people think we shooting them with guns. I won't like to argue with people who like to put up an argument.

As long as I'm taking an inanimate object within public grounds with no jurisdiction of or the prohibition of photography and I'm not defaming or insulting someone, I will still defend my ground. BUT if I'm taking a person or a doing a huge street scene shoot and someone asks me to delete I will.

do u think it is feasible to have a short write-up on photographers rights in sg in the various context in laymen terms? i understand it can be tricky to offer legal advices online moreover as a fixed "faq", but it can be one of those educational pieces that does not replace professional legal consultation, just like some of those healthcare information with disclaimer.

the aim is to provide basic information and guidances, so that photographers can react appropriately to different encounters, from indoor concerts, outdoor fenced up events, outdoor open events, shopping malls, shops, stalls, street, street performers, airports, ports, camps..... broad categorisation would also be helpful.

of cos, relevant rights of the subject, the authorities and people who assume rights over the subject (security guards) can also be shared too.

Last edited by zoossh; 25th March 2008 at 02:14 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

They can scold you all they like, the fact remains that they can't do anything about it.

And if they start to go further than just a remark, do remind them that they can become liable for offences such as criminal intimidation. And you will have better rights than them in this case

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post

vince123123
    Guests

Think that is too much work hahah :P Especially if it is going to be as a formal writeup Plus you have stated so many different permutations and it is quite difficult to exhaustively cover all. Some of the situations don't have a clear legal position either.

Lets take it one step at a time And I think we are just sharing our knowledge or discussing the issues, don't really think it should be considered as "legal advice" in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    do u think it is feasible to have a short write-up on photographers rights in sg in the various context in laymen terms? i understand it can be tricky to offer legal advices online moreover as a fixed "faq", but it can be one of those educational pieces that does not replace professional legal consultation, just like some of those healthcare information with disclaimer.

the aim is to provide basic information and guidances, so that photographers can react appropriately to different encounters, from indoor concerts, outdoor fenced up events, outdoor open events, shopping malls, shops, stalls, street, street performers, airports, ports, camps..... broad categorisation would also be helpful.

of cos, relevant rights of the subject, the authorities and people who assume rights over the subject (security guards) can also be shared too.

Think that is too much work hahah :P Especially if it is going to be as a formal writeup Plus you have stated so many different permutations and it is quite difficult to exhaustively cover all. Some of the situations don't have a clear legal position either.

Lets take it one step at a time And I think we are just sharing our knowledge or discussing the issues, don't really think it should be considered as "legal advice" in this context.
    how abt a short and concise thing, maybe just one to two paragraphs will do?

I started the thread because I realized that a lot of people in Singapore are ignorant or mis-informed regarding the rights to photograph in public and not-so-public places. The situation get worse since 911 as terrorist concerns are being used as a blanket excuse to disallow photography even in areas that are not security related.

I found this in the web on Photographer's Rights in USA http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I was hoping that someone can create a similar version for Singapore so we have a clear understanding on what the legal rights of a photographer in Singapore are. Whether we want to exercise these rights is a different issue but until we know what we can or cannot do, we might step into a legal trap unintentionally and get ourselves into unnecessary trouble.

From what I have found in this thread is that under this lack of clear information, people will always try to err on the side of caution and avoid taking a stand every time they are being challenged. This has worsen the situation as the shop/building/mall owners are increasingly trying to impose this type of unfair restrictions even when there is no apparent reasons.

Not sure if anyone here remembers the days when we had to deposit our bags at the entrance counter before going into the shop

If the attitude towards DSLR continues, will it be revived again

Not sure if anyone here remembers the days when we had to deposit our bags at the entrance counter before going into the shop

Quote Originally Posted by justshot View Post

The rule was not specifically targeting the DSLR users. They were set up to prevent shoplifting. At the end, most of the shops found that the cost of hiring people handling the bags are not worth it. They just factor in the stolen items into the cost of doing business. In another word, all the law abiding citizens are paying more because of the shoplifters' actions.

vince123123
    Guests

It would take some work for a similar guide to be created for Singapore purposes, especially given that this would be on a voluntary basis That said, I do agree with the last paragraph of your post and that is the reason why such threads have been started to discuss these issues.

I think it would be useful if specific questions are posted and discussed - then maybe someone who has time on his hands can create that guide based on the discussions :P

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I started the thread because I realized that a lot of people in Singapore are ignorant or mis-informed regarding the rights to photograph in public and not-so-public places. The situation get worse since 911 as terrorist concerns are being used as a blanket excuse to disallow photography even in areas that are not security related.

I found this in the web on Photographer's Rights in USA http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I was hoping that someone can create a similar version for Singapore so we have a clear understanding on what the legal rights of a photographer in Singapore are. Whether we want to exercise these rights is a different issue but until we know what we can or cannot do, we might step into a legal trap unintentionally and get ourselves into unnecessary trouble.

From what I have found in this thread is that under this lack of clear information, people will always try to err on the side of caution and avoid taking a stand every time they are being challenged. This has worsen the situation as the shop/building/mall owners are increasingly trying to impose this type of unfair restrictions even when there is no apparent reasons.

here's another guide for UK based photographers

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php

hopefully someone in SG can create something similar also

i was shooting GMAX at Clarke Quay with 2 friends, i am with mini tripod and digital P&S while they use dslr handheld. after awhile. the boss come and ask politely where are we from and the purpose of the photos taken, he didnt want to be mis-represented. just tell him we are hobbist and shooting for fun and he let us carry on shooting.

unlike an experience i had few years back at Far East Square when shooting a Line Dance Org. doing their regular dancing. org. came and demanded me to stop in a rude manner, i got pissed and told him its public property and i can shoot if i like. guess his reply?

there are ministers dancing and that i have to stop. told him to get the minister to speak to me or bring me to the ministers. than he went back to discuss with another org., which came to me and ask politely the purpose of the photos and that effectly, the space belongs to FES and since they had obtained the permission to use the space, he can ask the FES personnel to ask me to leave. i told him it was the attitude and explaination from the other guy who got me pissed, it is fine by me if they ask me to stop with valid reasons, not some make up stories.

i feel it voice down to the attitude and the reasons given by the org as well as the photog. chinese we say "li sang wang lie". even if you have the rights, it doesnt means you can be rude to others. some courtesy and understanding goes a long way, especially when resolving conflicts.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast