Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: “No Photography” - Does we photographers have rights too?

Default Re: “No Photography” - Does we photographers have rights too?

If I hadn't delete the picture iin the presence of the care giver at that moment, I don't know what will happened.....

Quote Originally Posted by justshot View Post
    If I hadn't delete the picture iin the presence of the care giver at that moment, I don't know what will happened.....
    Would someone have chopped off your hand with a parang?

The care giver was probably doing her job in telling me not to take other child's picture, as part of the centre's rules. I was just trying to tell her in a different way the consequences of following the rules blindly....
    Yes she was. (doing her job)
    It must be policy. She must have been reminded to enforce it.

You see, the parent in your example was ok with it.
    Not all people react this way.
    There may be other parents who are super ngiau about their children's photos being taken.
    If they were not present when you took photo and find out later (say, if the child told them), they will give the care giver hell and want her dismissed or scolded for not stopping you.

Maybe these parents are afraid of child kidnap syndicates or have other fears (supernatural or otherwise). Or they have irrational worries of you planning to do something to their child.

Let me share my experience at a baby "gym" at Parkway area, probably more than a year ago.

Went for a trial class for my baby, who was about 9mths old then. As only 1 parent is allowed to accompany the child, my wife, together with many parents and kids, went for the trial session. Many were happily taking pictures and videos with their PnS inside the play area.

As I sat at the counter and took out my "pro looking" DSLR to take pictures of my baby, a staff immediately stopped me, saying photography is not allowed. I wasn't in a good mood then, and blasted them upside down. I raised my voice and told them so many parents were taking pictures, why must they pick on me? The staff "lan lan" went over to asked her colleagues to get the other parents to stop taking pictures. Despite their efforts, many parents continued to do so with their PnS and camera-phones.

A lady quietly told me that they're afraid their rivals might come to spy them. What rubbish! I just ignored her.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Let me share my experience at a baby "gym" at Parkway area, probably more than a year ago.

Went for a trial class for my baby, who was about 9mths old then. As only 1 parent is allowed to accompany the child, my wife, together with many parents and kids, went for the trial session. Many were happily taking pictures and videos with their PnS.

As I sat at the counter and took out my "pro looking" DSLR to take pictures of my baby, a staff immediately stopped me, saying photography is not allowed. I wasn't in a good mood then, and blasted them upside down. I raised my voice and told them so many parents were taking pictures, why must they pick on me? The staff "lan lan" went over to asked her colleagues to get the other parents to stop taking pictures. Despite their efforts, many parents continued to do so with their PnS and camera-phones.

A lady quietly told me that they're afraid their rivals might come to spy them. What rubbish! I just ignored her.
    there is something about the way singaporeans think, sometimes including myself. too straight and not very intelligent.

becos of the escape (exit) incident, increased security is applied in both the entry and exit, of all complexion and all gender, ended up in 2hrs retention of the indonesian president advisor who came in to sg and an apology subsequently issued when they found out who they have detained. i wonder if anyone think that mas selamat is going to return to sg now, or he may have doll up as a chinese women.

likewise, many ppl think that that big DSLR camera is more likely to be a spying camera than a compact camera or a handphone. doesn't make sense but widely encountered, isn't it?
    Last edited by zoossh; 23rd March 2008 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Would someone have chopped off your hand with a parang?
    Definately hope not!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Yes she was. (doing her job)
    It must be policy. She must have been reminded to enforce it.

You see, the parent in your example was ok with it.
    Not all people react this way.
    There may be other parents who are super ngiau about their children's photos being taken.
    If they were not present when you took photo and find out later (say, if the child told them), they will give the care giver hell and want her dismissed or scolded for not stopping you.

Maybe these parents are afraid of child kidnap syndicates or have other fears (supernatural or otherwise). Or they have irrational worries of you planning to do something to their child.
    Ageed. Will ask for the care givers' permission first. But frankly, I had became the unofficial official photographer already...

Ageed. Will ask for the care givers' permission first. But frankly, I had became the unofficial official photographer already...
    u can always do an undelete.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes View Post
    is there such a function?

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    is there such a function?
    Press delete twice...to "delete" the delete.

Dun whack me...
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    Press delete twice...to "delete" the delete.

Dun whack me...
    doesn't work for nikon d50. delete 2nd time means confirmation of delete.

I was just trying to be funny...abit OT here.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

well as you mentioned, the parent appeared quite pleased with the photo. i would take that as implied approval so what the care giver thinks may not apply any more. in this case since you deleted the photo in front of the parent, you would have made 2 parties unhappy instead of 1.

Nope. I am making 3 parties unhappy. Care giver, parent and myself. And its parent & myself against the care giver... hahahahaha

Guess we OT to much here liao.... TS may not be pleased. Better stop here else there will be another party unhappy. hehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by satan_18349 View Post
    That is very true. But we are having double standard here esp between tourists (obvious tourists looks like ang-mohs) vs locals.

Take these scenarios for eg:

a) Try taking pics in places like Mrt stations with a DSLR/SLR and a tourist using the same cam.

b) Or You using a pns while a tourist using a DSLR at the same place.
    I fully agreed with that.

Nope. I am making 3 parties unhappy. Care giver, parent and myself. And its parent & myself against the care giver... hahahahaha

Guess we OT to much here liao.... TS may not be pleased. Better stop here else there will be another party unhappy. hehehehehe
    I don't think it is completely OT. Sharing of incidents can provide everyone with a better understanding what the photographers are going through in trying to take pictures. By sharing the frustration, everyone will know we are not suffering alone. Actually sharing the pain is good therapy.

What do you all think about food? Do photographers have a right to take photos of food they eat at a restaurant?

To undelete photos, you can try using photo recovery tools on your SD/CD Card.

Quote Originally Posted by white5tar View Post
    What do you all think about food? Do photographers have a right to take photos of food they eat at a restaurant?
    My guess is yes. Because you have "purchased" it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast