Thread: night photography help needed

Default night photography help needed

hi peeps

need help. there is a festival coming up and i am thinking if shooting it. its at night and light source will mostly be from surrounding lights or like mobile lights.

i am using a canon 400d and 28 135 IS USM. can u guys point me in a direction to get the best sharp pics .

i tried taking shots at 1600 iso and they turn out shitty. like no shake but upon loading on to my com its a mess.

all help will be appreciated.

Default Re: night photography help needed

Well, offhand I could suggest you borrow a 50mm f/1.8 and try shooting street scenes at full f/1.8 at around ISO 800. Set it to aperture priority.

How is it "a mess"? you mean ISO noise, lost details, etc? Only thing to do there is either live with it, or rent a wide-aperture lens to allow you to shoot at lower ISO.
    Alpha

If you are shooting still life at night, recommend you to use a tripod and shutter release cable.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

ahh ok ok thanks for all the advice.

thing is its a festival so like a lot of movement and will be packed. which is why i am hesitant about a tripod.

maybe a 50mm 1.8 would be better.

if flash is allowed why not just stick with your current 28-135 and do some slow-synchro.. you can use motion blurs to your advantage if you know how..

1) try using flash bracket as a shoulder rest (use it with camera c/w battery grip). together with ur lens with "is", should be able to get reasonably sharp photo.

2) try using mono-pod anchor to a small pouch secured to the belt (camera need not be c/w battery grip). together with ur "is" lens, should be able to get reasonably sharp photo.
    Last edited by denniskee; 24th February 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    hi peeps

need help. there is a festival coming up and i am thinking if shooting it. its at night and light source will mostly be from surrounding lights or like mobile lights.

i am using a canon 400d and 28 135 IS USM. can u guys point me in a direction to get the best sharp pics .

i tried taking shots at 1600 iso and they turn out shitty. like no shake but upon loading on to my com its a mess.

all help will be appreciated.
    you should upload your picture for us to see what's considered "a mess". it may be simply poor technique.

ah forgot about this thread. i got myself a 50mm 1.8 and a sigma 17 79 2.8 -4.5

gonna use the latter on the day . wanan see how its gonna perform
    might bring the 50mm incase .

thansk for all the advice uys.

I was about to ask the similar ques when I saw this thread so I shall hijack it.

Recently went to my bro's POP ceremony. It was at night and only flood light were used. There are alot of movements from the parade. All the pictures came out shitty, though I was using a Canon 40D with EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM lens. It was really a poor knowledge with good camera issue.

Having said that, I tried using higher shutter speed, picture came out under exposed. Tried super high ISO, turned out very grainy. My biggest aperture was only F5.6 at max 85mm focal length. Tripod was useless as the still background is clear and human turns out like ghost.

Please teach me what I should do. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jeronleow; 15th March 2008 at 09:50 PM.