Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI or nvidia graphics card any diff in image quality

Default ATI or nvidia graphics card any diff in image quality

I am looking to upgrade my pc but is currently a bit undecided towards whether to choose the ATI 3870 or Nvidia 8800GT..

3D performance wise, the nvidia card is faster, but I am a bit hesistant cos some said that the ATI card has better image quality & is thus better suited for non-games application including photoshop & playing media files etc..

Any feedbacks from fellow photogs with experience on these cards?

Default Re: ATI or nvidia graphics card any diff in image quality

hmm think they say IQ, is refer to the 3D games... nvidia got better framerates.

think both in terms of 2D are about the same... probably wanna bring matrox in to pwn them all (since alot say matrox in 2D beats them all...lol)

y not get 3870x2... lol... i waiting to see it compare with the 9 series...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

AMD Announces HD3800 Price Drops

The Staff of Tom's Hardware

February 20, 2008 12:46

AMD called us to announce new prices for the Radeon HD 3850 512 MB and HD 3870. In the USA tonight (and everywhere else soon after), e-tailer prices for the HD 3870 should drop from $245 to $189; The price of the HD 3850 512 MB should drop from $199 to $169.

Could this mean that something new is coming in the graphics world? Stay tuned.
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

Quote Originally Posted by Love_sky View Post
    AMD Announces HD3800 Price Drops

The Staff of Tom's Hardware

February 20, 2008 12:46

AMD called us to announce new prices for the Radeon HD 3850 512 MB and HD 3870. In the USA tonight (and everywhere else soon after), e-tailer prices for the HD 3870 should drop from $245 to $189; The price of the HD 3850 512 MB should drop from $199 to $169.

Could this mean that something new is coming in the graphics world? Stay tuned.
    3870x2 is out liao mah...

maybe they drop 3870x2 price also...

waiting for price to drop until can afford 3870x2x2 crossfire
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

And someone at HWZ also spotted MSI Nvidia NX9600GT starting to appear at SLS, selling at less than $300..

So if the AMD3850 which loses FPS comparison to the NX9600GT should cut price mah.. or I hope so.. hehee.. price drop pls..

& no lah, not looking at the 3870x2.. reluctant to spend so much on graphics card, I play only like 1 PC game a year.. no time lah.. but wanted to try COD4 thou, so die die must get one decent graphics card.. power consumption is a worry also since I do photo editing much more than play games with the pc..

I am a bit confused by those "image quality" argument.. dont know how true can that be..

The 8800GT seems to be much better from the reviews, but one other adv of the ATI that catches my attention is that seems like they hv better native support of HDMI.. can use the card to setup a HTPC if I wanna upgrade in future.. the nVidia card is more complicated for switching to HDMI output right.. still need some kind of spdif output for sound?

dunno about 8800, but ATI 3850/3870 can have hdmi audio on the same cable

no such things.

IMHO, there should not be any difference between ATI or nvidia graphics cards for normal 2D graphics. Unless you are doing lots of 3D graphics, eg gaming, 3D graphics design/modellling, either cards should be okay. Personally, I find nvidia cards are more power hungry and generate more heat.

just fyi, the 9600GT has just officially been released...

Yup u r right, saw the MSI 9600GT OC version selling @$299 at Funan ctr ..

Less heat and less power consumption comparing to the 8800GT, peformance beats the 3850 & is quite close to 3870..

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    just fyi, the 9600GT has just officially been released...

Just wondering...does the 9600gt outperform the 8800gt? (not talking about the GTX, of course)

Nope, 8800GT still quite a bit faster..

http://sg.vr-zone.com/articles/64_Sh...GT/5575-1.html

But some says if u run 9600GT in SLI it will outperform the 8800GTX..

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Just wondering...does the 9600gt outperform the 8800gt? (not talking about the GTX, of course)
    Last edited by Kongo; 23rd February 2008 at 07:17 AM.

hi, sorry to hijack this thread a bit. how much dedicated video ram is needed for photo editing? 128mb? 256mb? or 512mb? pls advice. thanks =D

the video ram come in more of a play for those gamers then anything else. I believe that a good amount of system ram will be more helpful here. well correct mi if I'm wrong.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    Nope, 8800GT still quite a bit faster..

http://sg.vr-zone.com/articles/64_Sh...GT/5575-1.html

But some says if u run 9600GT in SLI it will outperform the 8800GTX..
    buy 9800... (kinda remind me of the old ATI numbering...)

anyway, the 9 series vs the 8 series is the DX10 i think... and some enhancement on the pipeline shader or something.

Quote Originally Posted by tenglw86 View Post
    hi, sorry to hijack this thread a bit. how much dedicated video ram is needed for photo editing? 128mb? 256mb? or 512mb? pls advice. thanks =D
    no diff, unless you are using big screen.

iirc anything more than 16mb or 32mb for 2D is overkill. 3D wise, the more the merrier... 1gb x 4, Crossfire FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post

anyway, the 9 series vs the 8 series is the DX10 i think... and some enhancement on the pipeline shader or something.
    Nvidia's 9800 not out yet lah... unless you mean the Ati one... that one might be quite hard to find due to its age unless you don't mind 2nd hand one...

Most probably too ex for me.. a bit reluctant to spend too much on graphics card, still dunno whether got time to play any games or not..

Hopefully if it drive down the price of 8800GT I'll grab it.. haha..

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post

Seriously, I think for plain 2-D graphics editing, any dedicated card will suffice. There's hardly any more space to compete in 2-D. Most of the features in new graphics card are for 3-D rendering, framerate.

Smile Re: ATI or nvidia graphics card any diff in image quality

Hi,

for 2D photo processing purpose, will it be better to use a graphic card that have HDMI/DVI output to connect to a PC monitor that can take HDMI/DVI also?
    Currently, there are many high reso LCD (1600x1050 or 1920x1200), whether if still using the old time VGA to drive it do not enmake full use of the high reso?

cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast