Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I heartless or .....

Default Am I heartless or .....

been cheated too much, become more alert?

Incident happened ard 1+ pm, just finished my lunch at my friend salon. Sitting there, happily chit chat with them while they working.

Came in 2 woman, ard 40's to 50's, I thought they also want to have hair cut, I keep on talking.

Out of sudden, they approached me, ask me for donation n show me paper cut out of a girl etc... I said I got no $, they replied that its up to me. I rejected them in the end n they went off.

The salon boss then told me that they ever came to ask $ before n so, I started to suspect them already. Not say $ problem or whatever, too much scam ard, got to protect my $ mah.

Nvm that, I think n think while back home. If they went ard and ask $2 from each person (on avg), 100 ppl gives them $200 liao n they split it, $100 each, right? Good $ for them, but some ppl, esp poor n old, might be cheated by them.

So, I went to make a call to police n check with them. The policeman told me that if they ever appears again, call them n they will send ppl to investigate. I might seem to be heartless to this two woman but I might be saving a lot of innocent.

Right or wrong, really just a line. A very thin one.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Default Re: Am I heartless or .....

I dun think u did anything wrong . If let say they r not faking it .. even if the police investigates they wont get intro any trouble wat .. anyway nowadaes really many of such people going round .. dunno which is real which is fake . If they r old people r disabled ones i will donate but if those tat looks normal i will just reject .

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post

Incident happened ard 1+ pm, just finished my lunch at my friend salon. Sitting there, happily chit chat with them while they working.

Came in 2 woman, ard 40's to 50's, I thought they also want to have hair cut, I keep on talking.

Out of sudden, they approached me, ask me for donation n show me paper cut out of a girl etc... I said I got no $, they replied that its up to me. I rejected them in the end n they went off.

The salon boss then told me that they ever came to ask $ before n so, I started to suspect them already. Not say $ problem or whatever, too much scam ard, got to protect my $ mah.

Nvm that, I think n think while back home. If they went ard and ask $2 from each person (on avg), 100 ppl gives them $200 liao n they split it, $100 each, right? Good $ for them, but some ppl, esp poor n old, might be cheated by them.

So, I went to make a call to police n check with them. The policeman told me that if they ever appears again, call them n they will send ppl to investigate. I might seem to be heartless to this two woman but I might be saving a lot of innocent.

An elderly man once approached me in the carpark telling me his ez-link card is out of money and he needs to get to somewhere. So I asked him how much he needs to get there. He said just enough money to top up his card. I think he thinks I'm an idiot. If he had asked for his busfare to get to his destination, I would have given him, but he asked for too much. There are no EZ link top up machines in the vicinity also.

There was an occasion where a Bangladeshi came up to me asking for $1 to take bus, to Boon Lay. Just so happen I am heading home there too, and I pass $1.50 to him as that more than covers the rate. When I walked up the bus, I looked out and saw that Bangla approaching two other girls in the bus stop while I am already on the bus (there is only one bus to Boon Lay from that stop).

Well, we can never learn enough. There are plenty of such people nowadays. I know of an auntie who approaches people who are withdrawing cash from atm machine asking for $2 to eat lunch/dinner, turns out she used the money to buy 4D.

I guess the best way to help (imo) is to follow those folks, treat them to a meal or pay for their bus fare. More than helpful enough

Quote Originally Posted by zan82 View Post
    There was an occasion where a Bangladeshi came up to me asking for $1 to take bus, to Boon Lay. Just so happen I am heading home there too, and I pass $1.50 to him as that more than covers the rate. When I walked up the bus, I looked out and saw that Bangla approaching two other girls in the bus stop while I am already on the bus (there is only one bus to Boon Lay from that stop).

Well, we can never learn enough. There are plenty of such people nowadays. I know of an auntie who approaches people who are withdrawing cash from atm machine asking for $2 to eat lunch/dinner, turns out she used the money to buy 4D.

I guess the best way to help (imo) is to follow those folks, treat them to a meal or pay for their bus fare. More than helpful enough
    Yeah.. Just offer to pay for their food or bus fare but not give them the cash.. If not genuine, they will probably turn down your offer.

Even a small kid try to bluff me for $2 before cause he lost his way n go no $ to go back. I told him, I call the police for him, sure can go back.

Next time use the word "police" to ware off this kind of ppl. We not heartless, we just don't want to be an idiot.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

i ever run into an old lady age ard 60+ she ask me how to get the the place , which is veri near my place , but i think she has a veri short memory till she forgot where she stay and saw her almost break into tear , after looking ard and found a small note which written by her familly said if she forgot her way back home again , pls kindly bring her back to this address , thankyou , so i just flag her a cab and pass the address and $10 to the driver and told the driver wat happan and the driver is kind enuff to send her to door step .
    Last edited by noob sniper; 20th February 2008 at 07:41 PM.
    Nikon D600 / D750

this is society - it's unavoidable that one looks out for his self-interests first, and there's nothing wrong with that

take for example, you see 10 men beating up one sole guy on the street, what do you do? run up and be the superman?

no, you walk away and call the police, that's the best you can do - there are proper channels of help for people in financial need, there ARE safety nets contrary to popular belief for those who have trouble surviving, it's just that a lot of those who are eligible are unaware. the fact that most relatively well-publicised charitable organisations have the appearance and bad reputation of being shady in the past and present do not help matters either.

could you tell the real from the fake in one glance? no. then it is best to exercise caution.

All donation volunteers are required to carry a permit, with a date, serial number and name of organisation and person to contact. Ask them to produce it.

remember nkf?

Once at an MRT station, the moment I got off the train, this fella came out of nowhere and tugged at my arm, saying, "sir, I want to commit suicide. I need someone to talk to."

How do you react to something like that? Of course I jit-tao blur, so we went to one corner of the platform and he proceeded to show me some papers, which included a photocopy of his I/C and prison release papers. Sob story, something about him being in jail, no job, and suffering for some sickness plus some other mother/father story.

Then he said he needed some money to "tide him over". How much? About three to six hundred dollars. Even though I was in a state of confusion, alarm bells were already ringing in my head. I told him I'm not going to give him that kind of money, but I could help out a little by giving whatever I had in my wallet (30 bucks). I supppose a part of me would always be wondering, what if this was a genuine case, and I may be his last hope before he really kills himself? I guess the 30 dollars I gave him was more to convince myself that I did "at least something" instead of nothing at all.

However, on leaving the station, I reported the matter to Station Control and left it as that.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Nowadays its really hard to be a kind person. 10 years ago, I would give small change to whoever ask from me even though its my last dollar on me. Now even i have spare money, I wont think twice to reject any who comes to me for donation. If they want food den I can buy them food but will never give any amount of $$$.

You could be sending a drug addict to meet his maker if the $$ he gets from you is used to buy drug and he dies of overdose. On the other hand, a genuine case, the person will just approach another person for help. If the person really is need, he will find his way.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Once at an MRT station, the moment I got off the train, this fella came out of nowhere and tugged at my arm, saying, "sir, I want to commit suicide. I need someone to talk to."

How do you react to something like that? Of course I jit-tao blur, so we went to one corner of the platform and he proceeded to show me some papers, which included a photocopy of his I/C and prison release papers. Sob story, something about him being in jail, no job, and suffering for some sickness plus some other mother/father story.

Then he said he needed some money to "tide him over". How much? About three to six hundred dollars. Even though I was in a state of confusion, alarm bells were already ringing in my head. I told him I'm not going to give him that kind of money, but I could help out a little by giving whatever I had in my wallet (30 bucks). I supppose a part of me would always be wondering, what if this was a genuine case, and I may be his last hope before he really kills himself? I guess the 30 dollars I gave him was more to convince myself that I did "at least something" instead of nothing at all.

However, on leaving the station, I reported the matter to Station Control and left it as that.
    Does this person hang out at Tanjong Pager station?
    I did encountered a person of similar behavior few years ago.
    What I did is, I asked him to seek help from the relevant authority/welfare community. There is nothing much i could help.

Anyway, I don't trust a person with hands and legs can't find any job.

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    Does this person hang out at Tanjong Pager station?
    I did encountered a person of similar behavior few years ago.
    What I did is, I asked him to seek help from the relevant authority/welfare community. There is nothing much i could help.

Anyway, I don't trust a person with hands and legs can't find any job.
    Very near. Either Raffles Place or City Hall. Can't really recall.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    All donation volunteers are required to carry a permit, with a date, serial number and name of organisation and person to contact. Ask them to produce it.
    Just to add on what redstone mentioned earlier, all donation volunteers are to have their NRIC numbers on their donation box too.

Aiyoh, nowadays also got genuinely handicapped people who beg, then after a hard day's work, they can be seen going back to their hotels! Not hostels, not homestays, not backpackers' budget hole in the walls ... HOTELS! But to be fair to our fellow citizens, they appear to be foreign beggars. So now you see handless legless beggar, better ask for IC first.

But then hor ... last time I remember got one apparently very 'effective' (think the guy had no legs or something like that) local beggar who was finally caught on camera. He had a Merz picking him up everyday after 'work' a few streets away.

Actually it's damned sad, even the begging market kenar spoiled by foreigners and scam artists out to hamtam compassionate Singaporeans until out local, genuine beggars also kenar affected.

I had an experience once, I forgot to bring my wallet out. And i just finished a meal at a restaurant, told them I need to take my wallet from my car, left my handbag there. Went to my car, my wallet ain't in my car. And all I had left was a cashcard with a value that would only barely cover my bill and my carpark payment. I actually approached some ppl in the carpark for a loan. I can't say it wasn't a successful attempt, but it definitely took me a FEW tries before i managed to get a loan, which I had returned later in the afternoon, via a cash bank-in to that person's account.

For me, that was really a "send coals during snow" experience for me and I held it deeply in my heart. And to some extend also sway my judgements in alot of cases.

My theory is if i can afford it, I will give. I do not care, if the person is lying thru his/her teeth. They opened their mouth and asked. To me, they are desperate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post

dun think they cheat u lah... they only offer something invisible, intangible it seems.

if you donate, you will feel a sudden halo around your head, and you feel the power of karma++, if you don't then no such feeling only...

sometimes donation, dun have to know what they are doing, if really wanna know, then try to make a difference by being a volunteer...

(p.s. i am not advocating you guys to donate blindly...)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by noob sniper View Post
    i ever run into an old lady age ard 60+ she ask me how to get the the place , which is veri near my place , but i think she has a veri short memory till she forgot where she stay and saw her almost break into tear , after looking ard and found a small note which written by her familly said if she forgot her way back home again , pls kindly bring her back to this address , thankyou , so i just flag her a cab and pass the address and $10 to the driver and told the driver wat happan and the driver is kind enuff to send her to door step .
    hmm, think now need more than 10 bucks already...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Even Garment sanction charity also run into investigation, how not ppl become more weary? I have decided not to donate any for those ppl approaching with tin cans, but tt just me.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast