Thread: Locked!

Default Locked!

Hi guys,

I took this shot while i was walking along a row of streethouses in bugis one day. I wanted to bring out a sense of retro feeling through this photo, using the lock and the rust on the gate as symbols of that...

But I was wondering, is the shot too close up? Should i zoom out a bit more to show more of the gate? If so, I might lose out on the main focus of the photo, which is the lock itself? and the colour of the photo rich enough?

Plz feel free to write down your opinions...Any comments is greatly welcomed! Many Thanks!

Camera: Panasonic DMC-FZ20
    Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Focal Length: 43.9 mm
    ISO Speed: 400
    Exposure Bias: -33/100 EV

Default Re: Locked!

You say the lock is the main focus, yet your focus point is on the door, not the lock. The lock itself is blurry. And to me, it's too much of a modern lock to evoke any emotion. Feels like just another one of the many many lock-shots out there.
    Alpha

I see... It's the first time i'm actually trying out these type of shots. Juz a general qn tho, Does it mean that my focus of the photo has to be sharp always? i.e. a blur subject cannot be the main focus of the photo? thx for ur comments!

if you are shooting very near might as well use manual focus which you will have much better control over focus and dof
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Quote Originally Posted by dathorax View Post
    I see... It's the first time i'm actually trying out these type of shots. Juz a general qn tho, Does it mean that my focus of the photo has to be sharp always? i.e. a blur subject cannot be the main focus of the photo? thx for ur comments!
    Well, the eye will be drawn to the sharp texture of the door. The lock then just becomes a distraction.

The whole point of a shallow DOF is to make the subject stand out from the background.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Well, the eye will be drawn to the sharp texture of the door. The lock then just becomes a distraction.

The whole point of a shallow DOF is to make the subject stand out from the background.
    Agreed.

usually the focus is 1/3 infront 2/3 behind you can make sure the lock is in the region of 2/3 behind and your door behind will look blur.
    Last edited by blurry80; 20th February 2008 at 04:52 PM.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

I would say most of the time, the main focus of the photo has to be in focus. But rules are made to be broken. If the blur subject can be a focus, great!
    However, it does not work in this case.

Just my 2 cents.
    Just me...

Thanks guys for the response! i'll take note in future to make my subject stand out more. However, i don't quite get the 1/3 in front and 2/3 at the back rule? if i divide the photo into 9 squres how many squares should my subject occupy? is there a general guideline?

Thanks guys for the response! i'll take note in future to make my subject stand out more. However, i don't quite get the 1/3 in front and 2/3 at the back rule? if i divide the photo into 9 squres how many squares should my subject occupy? is there a general guideline?
    read up on the rule of thirds.
    Alpha

the lock seem to be out of focus (OOF). As the lock is the subject matter in this pic, it ought to be in focus (just my 2 cents) .